XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Changing Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

The regulator is part of the alt. (internal).

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
JimC64 (09-05-2014), larney (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Getting it rebuilt locally is the way to go. You can be sure of a quality job with quality parts, or somewhere close to bring it back to!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I think our alternators are rated at 120V. Would putting in an alternator rated at 130V have any positive/negative effects on our cars electrical systems? Do you get any upside to doing that?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by larney
I think our alternators are rated at 120V. Would putting in an alternator rated at 130V have any positive/negative effects on our cars electrical systems? Do you get any upside to doing that?
The output is 120 Watts (W) at 12 Volts (V). There is no advantage in using an alternator of different output. Jaguar got it right here.

The following users liked this post:
larney (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

you probably mean 120 Amps

The following users liked this post:
larney (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by plums
you probably mean 120 Amps
You are right, 120A. 120W would hardly light the headlights!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Yep 120A. So no need to put in a 130A alternator? Just wondering because of all the electronics in these cars. I had a 70 Cougar and the alt was a weak spot with all the tail lights and the sequential motor. So we had to put bigger alt to handle the loads at night...

Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

keep at it larney & let us know, would be nice to add RESOLVED to the thread title.

Hope to hear...

Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Just a quick update. Started on the alternator removal today. Took the air cleaner off, then the front pass tire, inner wheel well guard. The bottom bolt was a little tricky. Looking for the socalled sleeve and trying to figure out how slide it back to release the alternator. To make a long story shorter I got it off slide it out the side. Will take it in tomorrow(Monday) get it rebuilt and hopefully install it tomorrow night...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Just a quick update. Started on the alternator removal today. Took the air cleaner off, then the front pass tire, inner wheel well guard. The bottom bolt was a little tricky. Looking for the socalled sleeve and trying to figure out how slide it back to release the alternator. To make a long story shorter I got it off slide it out the side. Will take it in tomorrow(Monday) get it rebuilt and hopefully install it tomorrow night...
Great. Check my pictures on this board re. the sleeve prior to reinstall.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM

So the sleeve is supposed to slide into the alt?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dan R
This is the setup I used for the bushing/collar. The bolt has a 17mm head.

P.S. While you're there you may want to change the alternator brushes. Ay 140k mi mine needed changing due to corrosion on the terminals and brush wear.
The above is from a 2009 post of mine under the heading "2001 XJ8 Alternator Removal".
It contains a picture of the "press" used to push the sleeve back into the mounting.
The procedure is described in the JTIS.

Last edited by Dan R; 09-08-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

So the sleeve is supposed to slide into the alt?
not so much a slide as "if you don't get the blasted sleeve to move in a bit you'll be cursing it during reinstall because you can't get the alternator between the two mounting ears on the bracket"

doesn't have to move much, 1/8" will do.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Here is the weblink to DanR photo of the tool he made (post #4):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...or-help-59697/

Jim Lombardi

Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 PM

RESOLVED!!! Just finished the install on the rebuilt alternator. Started it up. No problem. Turned all the accessories AC, Radio and lights... In drive w/brakes on read 13.3 volts at the battery. With everything off and idling 13.7. No warning lights on the dash. I drove around for about 20 minutes and no issues. Before it would take about 5 minutes or until you turned stuff on. I would recommend anyone doing this on a 2000 XJ8 for sure to use these directions...

Garage is empty, add now

Default Very easy to remove do it in 20 mins or less
I have a 2001 xj8 the easy way to do it with out removing all that stuff is to
1 disconnect the battery
2 disconnect the air filter cabin not completely but just enough to get it to set to the the driver side of the engine
3 loosen your tires on the front passenger side and jack up your car remove that tire take off or loosen the splash guard in that wheel well i just loosened it
4 Go to the top under the hood loosen the tension-er so you can get the belt off of your alternator off to do this when you loosen the bold hold it with a pry bar when it loose take the belt off and release the tension-er slowly
there are two screws that hold the alternator on the bracket take those out from the top under the hood one is below on the bottom of the alternator which you will have to get under the car and the other is on top on the side where you had removed your air filter cabin there is a NUT IN THE BACK WHICH YOU HAVE TO HOLD ON THE SCREW ON THE TOP WHICH IN BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR
5 some people may have a splash guard in the undercarriage remove that
6 wiggle your alternator and it shall come some what free
7 go back to under the hood and reposition your alternator and take the positive boot off the harness and remove the nut and remove the wire from the alternator
6 from under the hood of the car again take the clip that was next to the nut you just removed off the alternator with a pair of pliers be sure not to squeeze to hard you may break the clip this will take off the second harness

7 take the altoneater though the body of f the car and slide it though the lining of the wheel well

Repeat backwards to reinstall
WARNING DON'T KNOCK YOUR SELF OUT TRYING TO REMOVE THE AIR FILTER CABIN IT WILL SPLIT YOUR WIG IF YOU TUG ON IT IT A RUBBER BOOT CUZ I SURE DID LOL GOOD LUCK!

These were spot on...
Thanks for ALL the input and advice. Sure makes the job easier...

The following 2 users liked this post by larney:
Jhartz (09-10-2014), JimmyL (09-10-2014)
Old 03-02-2022, 09:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RESOLVED!!! Just finished the install on the rebuilt alternator. Started it up. No problem. Turned all the accessories AC, Radio and lights... In drive w/brakes on read 13.3 volts at the battery. With everything off and idling 13.7. No warning lights on the dash. I drove around for about 20 minutes and no issues. Before it would take about 5 minutes or until you turned stuff on. I would recommend anyone doing this on a 2000 XJ8 for sure to use these directions...

Garage is empty, add now

Default Very easy to remove do it in 20 mins or less
I have a 2001 xj8 the easy way to do it with out removing all that stuff is to
1 disconnect the battery
2 disconnect the air filter cabin not completely but just enough to get it to set to the the driver side of the engine
3 loosen your tires on the front passenger side and jack up your car remove that tire take off or loosen the splash guard in that wheel well i just loosened it
4 Go to the top under the hood loosen the tension-er so you can get the belt off of your alternator off to do this when you loosen the bold hold it with a pry bar when it loose take the belt off and release the tension-er slowly
there are two screws that hold the alternator on the bracket take those out from the top under the hood one is below on the bottom of the alternator which you will have to get under the car and the other is on top on the side where you had removed your air filter cabin there is a NUT IN THE BACK WHICH YOU HAVE TO HOLD ON THE SCREW ON THE TOP WHICH IN BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR
5 some people may have a splash guard in the undercarriage remove that
6 wiggle your alternator and it shall come some what free
7 go back to under the hood and reposition your alternator and take the positive boot off the harness and remove the nut and remove the wire from the alternator
6 from under the hood of the car again take the clip that was next to the nut you just removed off the alternator with a pair of pliers be sure not to squeeze to hard you may break the clip this will take off the second harness

7 take the altoneater though the body of f the car and slide it though the lining of the wheel well

Repeat backwards to reinstall
WARNING DON'T KNOCK YOUR SELF OUT TRYING TO REMOVE THE AIR FILTER CABIN IT WILL SPLIT YOUR WIG IF YOU TUG ON IT IT A RUBBER BOOT CUZ I SURE DID LOL GOOD LUCK!

These were spot on...
Thanks for ALL the input and advice. Sure makes the job easier...
This method worked for me. Looked easier than messing with the radiator fans. I was even lazier and just turned the wheel instead of removing it. The sleeve/bushing is a PITA. Fighting this doubled the time of this project. Make sure to have the "press" recommended by Dan R.