XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Changing front lower wishbone ball joint ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GGG
Having replaced front springs with the correct Jaguar spring compressor, I wouldn't consider any other way of removing the tension on them:
Graham
Fully appreciate what you are saying, however if I compressed the whole suspension with a stand under the front arm, I am thinking that the rear arm could be removed and the spring and front arm would just happily sit where they are with the spring compressed and held in place by the front arm, which is supported on the stand.

Of course if you think this is going to result in me wearing a large spring and requiring extensive orthodontic work I will drop the idea!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by lowey69
...........Of course if you think this is going to result in me wearing a large spring and requiring extensive orthodontic work I will drop the idea!!!
That's exactly the image I had in mind.

When dealing with the weight of an engine, a transmission or a complete suspension unit, there's always a way to lower or lift and get out of the way if something goes wrong. When it comes to these springs, they are under phenomenal compression. You'd have to work right next to it and there's no time and nowhere to get out of the way if it breaks loose.

Graham

Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Do not muck about with Jaguar front springs.

Bottom wishbone intact + damper fitted.

OR

Decompress the spring/remove the pan/dismantle as you please/reassemble.

You can make your own spring compressor tool with a piece of M20 threaded bar, a few large washers, two nuts, and a 40x25x6 mm piece of mild steel plate. It'll cost £5 in parts. Or join the JEC (£41) and hire the correct tool for the job.

You can, if you are careful, support the car on stands then jack it by the spring pan, remove the bolts that hold the spring pan on carefully, then lower the jack and decompress the spring. Tie the spring to the upper wishbone with heavy webbing, and the spring pan to the lower wishbone. Tie the webbing loose - you want it to catch the shrapnel if anything goes wrong, not to hold anything. Remove the bolts using a ratchet and a socket, always keeping your hands to the side of the spring and spring pan so that they can never be crushed. This way you can decompress, work at your leisure, then only hire the tool for the reassembly job. (you cannot refit the spring pan with a jack)

Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj8balljointsvarious

first full visit to the foram. well impressed.
me here you there but what a small world
when we all have somethimg in common. how
do we fix it with out paying someone else?
bring it on.thankyou people. mark

Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by markcollins
first full visit to the foram. well impressed.
me here you there but what a small world
when we all have somethimg in common. how
do we fix it with out paying someone else?
bring it on.thankyou people. mark
Welcome to the forum Mark,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post an intro about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologies for the delay in updating you all on the Ball Joint.

Job done! Ended up buying one of the "Massive" G-Clamp press kits off the web - it was about £110 but still much cheaper than paying for the job to be done.

Left the wishbones and spring all intact, and pressed joint out using the cups in the kit.

All i can say is to stick with it - it is tighter than a tight thing. I ended up with a 5 foot scaffold bar on the end of my socket extension and it held out for 2 days with that pressure on it whilst being regularily sprayed with penetrating oil. On the third day I gave the knuckle round the joint an almighty whack with a lump hammer - that allowed me to get another quarter turn on the G-Clamp - then another few whacks and it released - with the obligatory "gun shot"

Cleaned it all up and pressing the new one in was fine until the last few millimeters where it starts to protrude through the knuckle where the clamp is pressing. Removed clamp and a couple of hammer strickes to the cup pushed it home.

I would advise people to give it a go as it is one of those rewarding jobs - a real sense of "I beat it!"

The following users liked this post:
plums (11-01-2012)