XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Changing UK headlights to EU Norn on Jaguar XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Changing UK headlights to EU Norn on Jaguar XJ8

I had no idea when I adopted the user name "BadCat" for this forum how much truth it would hold concerning my 1998 Jaguar XJ8.

My car is originally from the UK but was registered in France which is where I bought it. Imagine my amazement when I learned from the most recent Controle Technique inspection (MOT) that it still head the original UK headlights, which are not conforming to EU/French standards.

Imagine further that they're going here for EUR 465/set. That's a EUR 1,100 repair bill just to change the lights. I can get a whole transmission for that.

I turned to the Internet hoping to find some decent used headlights, which surprisingly isn't as easy as I thought.

I further learned that it's obviously possible to modify the existing UK lights so they conform with EU/French standards. Somebody here have any ideas if this can be done and how.

Alternatively, does anybody know of any good used Euro parts outfit.

I would most certainly appreciate any pointers, ideas, and/or tips.

Cheers & many thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

And here is where you have a problem. I can get a fully MOT'd XJ40 for the price of two headlights.

When was your car imported into France? Because in recent years headlights have become a fail on the CT.

You don't give us any specific details about your car so it is a little difficult.

When you bought it, the CT must have been less than 6 months old, otherwise the car was only sold for spares, sans CT ou Carte de Grise.

More info required.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Thanks for your quick response Richard. I’m getting a little desperate here.

I have an original MOT Test Certificate from VOSA in the UK dated June 13, 2008, so the vehicle must have been exported to France after that.

The car has French plates and a Carte de Grise, which shows a date of 13/04/2010 next to the French plate that was assigned to the car. The previous owner did a CT the day before we came to pick up the car, but the car failed for excessive pollution (probably a defective Lamda sensor, and non-conforming UK headlights. The seller told us that the car passed, but that he couldn’t find the report because it may be in his wife’s car. He presented us with the invoice and we trusted him that he would send us the report, which of course he never did.

My car is a 1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 (X3000) with supposedly 120,000 km and excellent cosmetic condition. It drives perfectly and without any problem except for the occasional “High Gearbox Temperature” light coming on. Sometimes, the light comes on right after starting the car, so it’s probably a sensor issue. Please let me know if you need any other information such as the VIN.

I noticed that you’re in Brittany, France, which exactly where I’m at (Quimper). Would you be able to recommend a Jaguar mechanic?

Cheers & many thanks for your time and help.

Karl

Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Sounds like I am going to give you some bad news I'm afraid.

If the car did in fact pass the CT the day before you bought it, then the test center would have placed the obligatory legal window sticker on the windscreen on the right hand side.

This would show that the next test is due in Avril 2012. and the seller would almost certainly have given you the certificate when he gave you the CG because the two have to be kept together in the vehicle for when the Gendarmes do their roadside checks. (and why would anyone not pass on a valid certificate when they sell a car?)

If it failed, then there would be no such sticker and the owner would have 1 month in which to fix the defects (although the car can still be driven during this time).

He could not then sell the car as a road going example without this certificate (parts only).

At all times the current CT must be less than 6 months old at the time of sale otherwise a new CT must be performed. Current CT runs for 2 years.

You should also have received a Certificate of Cessation from the seller which shows both of your details, again legal requirement, and a required document for presentation when the new keeper registers the vehicle.

Also on the CG you will see a hologram type decal showing when the next CT is due, because the previous CT would have been done at the time of import and would subsequently show on the New French Registration document.

It looks to me as though, you are now trying to register the car in your name and that the car has no current or outdated CT.

If this is the case, you are either going to have to bite the bullet on the headlamps or get back to the seller and explain the legal position. Although due to the time lapse I doubt that anyone would be interested.

As regards km, look at the odometer, this will give you a true mileage because the documents could show anything (in 20 years here with assorted vehicles, garages, test centers etc. always assume the displayed miles are in fact km).

You can get blank copies of Certificate de Cessation and Demande de Carte de Grise from your local Mairie. You can also use your Mairie to forward all the completed documents for registration to the Prefecture or go to the Prefecture in person and come away with a new CG there and then.

Apart from car related documents you will need, copies of, your passport, driving licence and a utilities bill such as EDF, and a large cheque. (here registration is payable, but we have no annual road tax).

As regards purchasing headlights over here, try our UK Vendor give them a call at, +44 (0) 8444 707381 and say where you found them Duckworth Jaguar

or if they don't have what you need then,

http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms...R--Lights-Lens

I am not well versed enough with X300's to know if the adjuster kit is all that you would need or in fact you may be able to simply adjust without replacing anything.

Why not contact Jaguar in either Brest or Lorient for advice. If your French is not yet good enough for this type of telephone conversation send me a PM and we can sort something out.

I can't recommend a Jaguar mechanic because I don't use one. My local village tractor/car garage is where I go when I need help.

Perhaps one of our tech savy European owners can offer more advice on the lights adjustment.

The following users liked this post:
BadCat (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 AM

Thanks so much for your time and help with this Richard.
You're amazing and a true glimmer of hope in this otherwise very depressing situation.

I'm on my way to Brest as we speak to have Jaguar take a look at the car.
I don't have high hopes that it will be good news, but at least I will have status quo after getting the car back (at least sort of).

Again, many many thanks.

Karl