XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

cheap radiator replacement dont spend $600 until you read this

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb cheap radiator replacement dont spend $600 until you read this

Hello I recently posted this question:
Originally Posted by prelude4ws
hello, thought i would get other opinions. My 1998 vdp needs a new radiator previous owner slamed lower portion into curb or something, now it has epoxy and it leaks slowly. Anyway found a new 2 core/row aftermarket radiator on ebay for $105+30s/h good deal(especially here in s.texas were our fans have fans to keep them cool.jajaja)until it arrived and has no integrated transmission cooler. So now I can send it back and pay return s/h and 20%(b.s. restocking fee) or for the same cost I can keep it and add an external cooler. Normally I would think no big deal it will do better than the original. But after reading a ton of the trans oil debate and how oil temp is critical to oil level i wonder if over cooling could harm it. The unit i would consider adding on would be in the smaller range(10,000btu-three tube 12"x4" or so).Looking for threads on this, I saw other models/years have an external one. Any ideas or thoughts?
. While waiting for responses, here is what I have come up with.

Instead of paying the $600 going rate for a factory radiator you can replace it with an aftermarket radiator. You have 2 options original size single core will run around $67 inc S&H or you can upgrade to a two core for extra cooling capacity for around$130 inc s&h. The big catch is there is no internal transmission cooler. So you will need to add an external one($30-$70) along with, to play it safe, a thermostat for transfluid($30-$50). So depending upon what you choose you can replace your radiator for $127total on low side or really upgrade engine and trans cooling capacity for $200(the route I chose). Check Ebay for radiators I have no connection and do not sell them. Fyi the seller I purchased from did agree to a full refund including s&h both ways after a phone call.I did not include his ebay id as i'm not sure if that's ok.

Here is the info I used to base my decisions by far the most usefull data came from the honda odessy forum. I just cut and paste info to txt doc for easy reading(I hope):
cooler posts.txt

link to the honda ody trans cooler discussion:http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...=&pagenumber=1

Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Generic swaps can and do work. An example is I'm using a Camaro Radiator for my Jeep. However keep in mind that you should use an aluminum core radiator and NOT copper. Aluminum is more efficient at cooling and is compatible with your aluminum engine block and heads without a sacrificial anode. Also make sure the fans are shrouded so that they are as efficient as possible.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Another option might be having yours rebuilt (although radiator shops are becoming as scarce as a good carb rebuilder). I'd be very leary about just an external cooler in some areas and for some driving styles as the purpose of the cooler is two fold. In addition to cooling it also warms the tranny temp in the cold weather. Ideally you want your tranny fluid to be in the 140-170 range as quickly as possible for most cars. I'm glad you got yourself a gauge as I find them pretty essential for proper tranny care long term.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the replacement I found is aluminum and has all factory style mounting/hose locations and sizes. If there is intrest i will post pics after I do the swap. there are some diffirences however I will let you all know how critical they turn out to be.

I did look into replacing tanks and haveing it recored/cleaned. Problem is, the tank with the cooler was $65 good choice if only needed one but add the cost of second $45 plus labor. I know the guy and would of only charged me $50. $170 later I would miss out on the benifits of extra capacity and have spent about the same.

The thermostat which is plumbed between the cooler and tranny is 10% open when cold but 90% of fluid is sent back to tranny for quick warm up. At 180 it is 90% open. I went with 28,0000 gvwr cooler.

The research that I came up with suggests ideal trans temp at trannys pump exit the line which comes from torque converter/pump where most heat is generated to be in the 150-200 anything over that is the heat you want the cooler to decipatate, sump(oil pan) temperatures run cooler because the oil that doesnt go to torque converter is routed thru valve body where the only real heat is generated by clutch packs/bands during shifting.

My car is currently at the paint shop. And I will do the work the weekend following its return. I will let you all know how it goes.