XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cheap tires runs great .

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 04:16 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Cheap tires runs great .

Hi guys I changed my car wheels to asteroid wheels anyway I didn't want to spend too much on tires I bought set of chinese called fullrun size is 245/45/18 I paid 220$ for 4 tires believe it or not it's More comfortable than bridgestone tires . I wanted to share this so if someone doesn't want to spend much on tires fullrun is great choice

Old 02-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Modern technology & companies/factories have so many sub-brands you can find many that are equal to or better than the premier brands.That said I'm a Michelin man for my 308s but I ran Ohtsu FP7000 which I won in a raffle while I was hunting/debating which rim to upgrade to & had no issues with them @ all.

Last edited by King Charles; 02-23-2021 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RA110623 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:19 AM
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

I got 4 Douglas, Wall Mart Brand, for a great price. Working fine for about a year so far.

My other xj8 has Pirelli , I can't tell the difference.

jeffxj8

RA110623 (02-25-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

bought a set of tires from tire rack for spare car that gets driven very little.choice between american or chinese. i told them i wanted USA, the reason being that things made in china are subpar. and besides no matter what they make their rubber products dry rot fast, hence they'd rot off the car before they were broken in

Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

i went through quite few sets of chinese tyres with exotic names which seems to not exist anymore )or got rebranded), honestly not much difference between them and mainstream brands, never noticed any unusual wear or rot, handling is ok for everyday beater but if you like spirited driving then there are plenty of middle range options that exceed premium stuff

Old 03-05-2021, 04:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xjack
i went through quite few sets of chinese tyres with exotic names which seems to not exist anymore )or got rebranded), honestly not much difference between them and mainstream brands, never noticed any unusual wear or rot, handling is ok for everyday beater but if you like spirited driving then there are plenty of middle range options that exceed premium stuff
Honestly I won't buy high end brand except goodyear that tire worth it's price . I tried toyo - bridgestone - sumitomo was the worst. For 200$ these chinese tires doing great

Old 03-06-2021, 11:27 AM

Nothing really wrong with throwing 200 at each tyre nor getting full set at that price, i used to buy cheapest stuff, but couldn't stand exotic names on my jag anymore and now i do my research before purchase and aim at middle range with best reviews

Old 03-06-2021, 06:16 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Day old sushi is a bargain too.

The problem with the Chinesium tires is that you really do not know what you are getting or if any of the certification is actually legit. No, you do not need to buy the most expensive tires but sticking with name brands is a small price to pay for safety of your family and others. Yeah, they will probably be fine until that extra 15 ft of stopping distance means injuring someone or not. Like a harbor freight tool, it's great that you saved money, it works most of the time, then it shatters in your face.

I bought my michelins for about the same price as Chinesiums by watching for a sale when new version was replacing current.

Personally I don't get it. You will pay a premium for driving a Jag vs a Chevy. You will pay a premium for "look at me" bling of fancier looking wheels. You will then cheap out on something really important to safety and performance like tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by Amphicar770:
Jhartz (03-07-2021), Jtestrake (09-22-2023)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:54 AM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

i agree with amphicar 770, he's spot on.

Jhartz (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:54 PM

Safety wise, as long as you keep thread depth at good level and are not excessively finicky you gonna be all right, i highly doubt it would blow in your face or the certification is faked, unless you bought them in some obscure flea market in long lost chinese village then brought home as a souvenir.
There is plenty of reasons someone would want budget tyres on his car and i'm not here to judge, i've got anything from pirellis michelins through kumhos to accelera duraturn and many others on my cars, perhaps i'm insensitive trunk but i didn't notice much difference and none of them failed on me before its end of life
Then there is aesthetics factor and yes jag with wong tyres look quite odd but that's up to personal taste

Old 03-07-2021, 01:41 PM

Consumer Reports evaluated Chinese tires a few years ago. They did not have good things to say. At least one set turned out to be counterfeit.

Again, I see owners spending a fortune to upgrade speakers, wheels, etc. Why someone would buy a high performance luxury car and then decide that a good place to cut corners is on tires is beyond me. Agree that you do not need to buy top shelf but an extra $100 for the safety of yourself and others is far less than the cost of those wheels or speakers.

​​​​​​Anecdotal experience is worthless. Many people use off brand Chinesium tools with no issue. However, to claim they are built and tested to the same standards as Snap on, Matco, etc. Is a pretty big leap. Same with cheap tires, they are great right up to the moment that they are not.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:28 AM

Do you mean chinese counterfeited their already cheap tyres? their creativity never stop surprise me..
Don't take me wrong, while i'm not encouraging use of wongs i can understand someone who does fit that stuff, the way people treat their cars vary greatly, some keep it in top notch state others use it as a tool and don't mind the detail, yet in some cases good tyres may be worth half of the car, some decade ago i have chinese fitted on my old jag, i didn't even noticed country of manufacture at the time of the purchase, but later when heard tyre shop guys whispering to each other that i will surely kill myself while using that stuff, tyres lasted well right till the end of the thread without issues and got replaced with kumhos
Not all budget stuff is subpar, many low end brands are owned by big names and often are manufactured in their plants, enjoy their technology and QC, sometimes biggest difference is the name on the sidewall

Old 03-08-2021, 02:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just put a set of P7 Cinturato's on mine, although I am on OEM 16" wheels. They were so cheap (less than 350 for the set) that it made no sense to get anything less. I did however just replace the Pirelli Scorpions on my Wife's RR (2010, SC) with Kumho Krugen's which were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper and I feel absolutely no difference.

Last edited by Uk_in_NY; 03-08-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2021, 03:19 AM

Damn, kumhos are owned by chinese too, but as far as quality goes they are in good stuff range and hold good reviews, quite nice tyres especially if you can get them at good price, mine cost me close to your pirellis

Old 03-09-2021, 10:44 AM

I agree, Not everything made in China is junk.

The point is to at least stick with a know brand or model that has been tested and somewhat proven. It is one thing to by Kuhmos or Nexens, etc. Quite another to go for the WeeCheap brand simply because it is the lowest priced available which meets the criteria of being round.

In this case, the OP decided it was worth spending a fair sum of money to upgrade from stock wheels to more blingy asteroids. Then he is too broke to buy even a secondary brand tire and instead goes bottom shelf. IMHO, a wiser choice would have been to stick with original wheels and buy better tires.

Why but a high performance luxury car if your budget to maintain and care for it is just not there? I love my XJR but I also have a 2000 Malibu which I appreciate for the low cost of maintenance and repairs.

Anyway, time to go get my vaccine. Some blogger said that the Russian version is 1/2 the price of Pfizer's and just as good. Who am I to argue.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fwiw is worth I have found eBay of all places is the best place for tires. There are a number of legit businesses on there. The kumho's for the RR (225/50/20? From memory) were less than 500 delivered which I thought was a bargain.

Old 03-09-2021, 02:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Federal SS 595

I love my federal SS 595’s. I paid $320 for 4. Great dry weather tire with good wet weather performance as well.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:15 PM

i moved to 18" rims due to options for original 16" size at correct speed rating getting seriously short, now at 18" there is a lot to choose from again and as bonus car looks much better, keep 16" as winter tyre set, given the vast choice i didn't notice difference in price
I agree to sticking to known brands, while i may be risk taking fool i don't see much danger in running wongs on any car, but certainly to sport car and especially jag they just don't stick, but again i've seen worst things done to jags.
ps i'm traditional guy, if somehow someone somewhere in the future would force me to take the jab for fake plandemia, it would be the old style one as made by russkies

Old 03-10-2021, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Amphicar770
I agree, Not everything made in China is junk.

The point is to at least stick with a know brand or model that has been tested and somewhat proven. It is one thing to by Kuhmos or Nexens, etc. Quite another to go for the WeeCheap brand simply because it is the lowest priced available which meets the criteria of being round.

In this case, the OP decided it was worth spending a fair sum of money to upgrade from stock wheels to more blingy asteroids. Then he is too broke to buy even a secondary brand tire and instead goes bottom shelf. IMHO, a wiser choice would have been to stick with original wheels and buy better tires.

Why but a high performance luxury car if your budget to maintain and care for it is just not there? I love my XJR but I also have a 2000 Malibu which I appreciate for the low cost of maintenance and repairs.

Anyway, time to go get my vaccine. Some blogger said that the Russian version is 1/2 the price of Pfizer's and just as good. Who am I to argue.
I paid 400$ for set of sumitomo tires it was horrible bridgestone potenza was too rough on road I personally prefer this fullrun tires over sumitomo and bridgestone .
I got the asteroid wheels from scrap yard fairly cheap actually .

I'm not too broke to buy high end tires as you say . I'm impressed for the quality of this tire I use it on my nissan too it's way better than high mid range tires that's my experience. I would only get goodyear as high end tire I tried other brands and I didn't like them

Do you know that some shops sell x308 tensioners for 500+ while you can get from ebay for 100$? And they're same chinese made part for just fancy repackage you will pay 500+. I run chinese tensioner on my xj now it's 30k Miles and tensioner still run as new .

Before you say too broke you must know what you're talking about .

Old 03-10-2021, 01:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mobile1
Hi guys I changed my car wheels to asteroid wheels anyway I didn't want to spend too much on tires I bought set of chinese called fullrun size is 245/45/18 I paid 220$ for 4 tires believe it or not it's More comfortable than bridgestone tires . I wanted to share this so if someone doesn't want to spend much on tires fullrun is great choice
F-Type S here. Went and looked at a used S that had replaced wheels and cheap China tires. I am sure road rash. Car had a bad vibration. I said it is tire balance, bent wheels or bigger problems. Lets review. Car needs new tires and rims. I am not putting my wife in a 400HP car with cheap crappy tires. Dealer said they tried to balance the tires and wheels but they had too many issues. There you go. Many years of high performance cars, racing and fast cross country trips. Tires is not where you want to save money when you have a performance car. They again maybe your life is worth only $220 bucks. I basically buy track tires for my Ducati Monster on the street. You get what you pay for. I thought about hard longer lasting rubber. Then you are laid over in a fast corner and you feel that front tire starting to slide, edge of traction limit doubtful, sand, oil, water you name its possible. That oh **** moment as this might not be good! Then the tire bites and off you go as usual. I always wonder would the harder tire have gained traction back. Maybe but a risk I am not willing to take or want to find out. Buy the best rubber you can afford for the task at hand. Personally I want nothing from county that spread COVID all over the world, kept it a secret and then bought up all the PPI equipment to make a profit- if the sheep have forgotten!

Quick Reply: Cheap tires runs great .