XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cheap tires runs great .

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:58 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Maser
F-Type S here. Went and looked at a used S that had replaced wheels and cheap China tires. I am sure road rash. Car had a bad vibration. I said it is tire balance, bent wheels or bigger problems. Lets review. Car needs new tires and rims. I am not putting my wife in a 400HP car with cheap crappy tires. Dealer said they tried to balance the tires and wheels but they had too many issues. There you go. Many years of high performance cars, racing and fast cross country trips. Tires is not where you want to save money when you have a performance car. They again maybe your life is worth only $220 bucks. I basically buy track tires for my Ducati Monster on the street. You get what you pay for. I thought about hard longer lasting rubber. Then you are laid over in a fast corner and you feel that front tire starting to slide, edge of traction limit doubtful, sand, oil, water you name its possible. That oh **** moment as this might not be good! Then the tire bites and off you go as usual. I always wonder would the harder tire have gained traction back. Maybe but a risk I am not willing to take or want to find out. Buy the best rubber you can afford for the task at hand. Personally I want nothing from county that spread COVID all over the world, kept it a secret and then bought up all the PPI equipment to make a profit- if the sheep have forgotten!
I don't know what tires you had on your car probably the cheapest one .

​​​​​I just shared my experience that's all .

You should be respectfull and not saying maybe your life worth 220$ . I think me and most members here are respectful and I have friends here too I never said something bad to anyone . But for you I will say . Go F... Yourself .

The following users liked this post:
Slackmack (09-16-2023)
Old 03-10-2021, 02:06 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Let's stick to the tyre discussion and leave the politics and personal insults out please.

RA110623 (03-10-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:00 AM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Quote from a Tire Rack article:

"Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental “they’re all there building tires in China” Mielko said, adding that Pirelli’s biggest factory is located there."

Regardless, where the tires are manufactured. Michelin is top dog, if price is not an issue. But depending on one's driving habits and vehicle, I've had greater value from Hankook Ventus (early years) on my M5 and Dunlop's on my Ford PU.
Value, factoring cost, performance and longevity.

RA110623 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:30 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndeagle

"Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental “they’re all there building tires in China” Mielko said, adding that Pirelli’s biggest factory is located there."

Regardless, where the tires are manufactured. Michelin is top dog, if price is not an issue. But depending on one's driving habits and vehicle, I've had greater value from Hankook Ventus (early years) on my M5 and Dunlop's on my Ford PU.
True enough but those tires still have a major brand behind them backing up their product, no matter where made, with engineering, QC and testing.

No one has said you should never buy tires made in China. Rather the argument is that you should not be putting the cheapest, no name crap you can find on your high performance car just because it saved you $10 dollars a tire. Would I trust Michelins made in China? Yes. Would I trust my life and my family to a set of MeeCheapAss tires made in China? No thanks.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always valuable to hear about budget-friendly tire options that provide good comfort and performance. While some budget tire brands may not have the same reputation as premium brands, they can still offer decent performance and value for money, as you've mentioned.
It's essential for drivers to make informed decisions based on their specific needs and priorities. While premium tire brands are known for their high-quality materials and advanced technology, budget tires like Fullrun can offer a viable alternative for those looking to save money without sacrificing too much in terms of ride comfort and handling.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:48 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndeagle

I've had similar success. Hankooks on e28 M5 and Dunlop GranTreks on a Ford Ranger. No issues and great tire wear, especially with the Dunlops. FWIW, I quit buying top shelf, as I don't clock enough miles to justify the costs. Many age out before wearing out.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:56 AM
Jhartz (09-15-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article seems preety informative to for cheap tire https://www.corwheels.com/best-cheap-tires/

Old 09-16-2023, 11:21 AM

Cheap tires are a lot like Uro parts. They run / work great right up until the moment they do not. I put a set of Uro strut tops on my XJR and thought they were a great deal until they failed within a year. I then spent a bit more for Meyle, still less than dealer, and all good.

Agree that you do not always need to go top shelf with brands like Michelin. Generals and others are proven quality. At the same time, bottom shelf seems even more foolish. Your car, your choice. Personally I will not put Chaoyangs, Westlake or other junk rubber on any car, let alone a Jaguar..

Doug (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

I can remember, from ages ago, when Kumho tires were coming on the market. Nobody knew about them; they were not trusted; and, oh my heavens, certainly not appropriate for a Jaguar. As it turns out they're pretty decent tires after all !

IMO, size-up your needs and driving conditions and then buy tires to suit. There's a brand/quality level/specification for just about every possible scenario out there.

As for safety, well, we all care about that. But a few years ago I did some research on causes of car crashes. The exact statistics escape my memory at the moment but, really, only a very small number of crashes are tire-related....something like 4% rings a bell. Of those, many (about 50% as I recall) were traced to underinflation and/or driving on obviously worn out rubber. Following that, tire failure due to road hazards --- running over something. After that, fewer still attributed to spontaneous tire failure....which could be related to low quality tires or using incorrect tires.

Personally I'd think a person would have to go out of their way to buy an unsafe tire; make an obviously questionable choice. And of course, you can't be stupid, either. If you're driving 140mph on tires rated for 112mph, well, you have only yourself to blame if the worst happens

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
2ndeagle (09-16-2023), 89 Jacobra (09-17-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ramonser
This article seems preety informative to for cheap tire https://www.corwheels.com/best-cheap-tires/

I've owned some of those!

Never had issues with Sumitomo.

Had a set of Falkens that performed very well but the particular model I purchased was just too noisy so I replaced them after only a couple thousand miles.

Currently have Generals (can't remember the exact model) on my XJ12 and am 100% happy

Cheers
DD

Old 09-16-2023, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 341 Posts

Yep, Generals are very good. I have the AS-05 on the Duchess and she likes them
very much.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:12 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

I have bought Nankang, Kumho, Kontio and Triangle chinese tyres over the years. Kumho has been the best of those. All others had quality issues like un roundness and breaking tire body.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I can remember, from ages ago, when Kumho tires were coming on the market. Nobody knew about them; they were not trusted; and, oh my heavens, certainly not appropriate for a Jaguar. As it turns out they're pretty decent tires after all !

IMO, size-up your needs and driving conditions and then buy tires to suit. There's a brand/quality level/specification for just about every possible scenario out there.

As for safety, well, we all care about that. But a few years ago I did some research on causes of car crashes. The exact statistics escape my memory at the moment but, really, only a very small number of crashes are tire-related....something like 4% rings a bell. Of those, many (about 50% as I recall) were traced to underinflation and/or driving on obviously worn out rubber. Following that, tire failure due to road hazards --- running over something. After that, fewer still attributed to spontaneous tire failure....which could be related to low quality tires or using incorrect tires.

Personally I'd think a person would have to go out of their way to buy an unsafe tire; make an obviously questionable choice. And of course, you can't be stupid, either. If you're driving 140mph on tires rated for 112mph, well, you have only yourself to blame if the worst happens

Cheers
DD
As i said, your car, your choice. Indeed, very few accidents are caused by parts failure, tires or other. Then again, few things impact handling, noise, traction, and ride quality as much as tires.

If you are happy beta testing the cheapest, Chinesium tires you can find, then more power to you. Some people believed the Yugo was a great buy because it was the cheapest car on the market and it did meet federal standards, so what could possibly go wrong? Others spent more to buy Toyotas. Everyone has their own priorities, budget, and decision criteria. If you are happy with your choice, that's great. I do not think you will convince many Jaguar / Porsche / BMW owners to make the same choice

2ndeagle (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Everyone has their own priorities, budget, and decision criteria. If you are happy with your choice, that's great.
Which pretty much says it all and comports with my opinion that a person should "...size-up your needs and driving conditions and then buy tires to suit. There's a brand/quality level/specification for just about every possible scenario out there".

For some people the decision against Brand-X tires would be easier if the top-tier brands assured higher quality and/or more safety...but it doesn't. Virtually (perhaps literally?) all of the top name brands have had certain models recalled for quality/safety defects over the years- Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Goodyear, et al. IOW, relying on brand name alone won't necessarily result in the safest choice.

I do not think you will convince many Jaguar / Porsche / BMW owners to make the same choice
I, for one, am not trying to convince anyone of anything.

I know/have known plenty of owners of those makes. Some are interested in making more informed choices than others. Some are very exacting in what they want from a tire. Some give no more attention to tire choices than I gave to deciding what socks to wear this morning. Some will buy whatever the guy at the tire store recommends that day.

Some will buy the off-brand tire with a funny name and report back to others. That is how we began to find out, 20-some years ago, that Kumho and Sumitomo, for instance, were viable choice for some Jaguar owners.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
2ndeagle (09-17-2023), 89 Jacobra (09-17-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 341 Posts

Top tier tires are there for a reason, and that is why they can demand more money. Generally speaking,
those buying top tier tires will have less problems and better performance than those of the lower tiers.
That said, some lower tier tires perform and have great quality for a particular production run, while another
production run does not perform as well even for the same size and type. Since tires are one of those
disposable items that last a while, sometimes peace of mind is worth the price. It is also true that even
highly regarded brands will produce a flawed run, but that seems to be less prevalent.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:09 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

All things considered, a Jag should probably have Pirelli P Zero tires, shouldn't it?? It just kinda seems right.....

Old 09-19-2023, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aquifer
All things considered, a Jag should probably have Pirelli P Zero tires, shouldn't it?? It just kinda seems right.....

It's what I call the "feel good" factor. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are certain things that just seem to go together.

A long, long time ago when I first starting driving Jags I always insisted on Castrol lubricants. Castrol and Jaguar just ....just....just seemed normal and right and proper together. Eventually I realized the car didn't care. The fuss was purely about making me feel good.

For a several years I had an XJR/6 as a daily driver. It originally came with P-Zeros. I found choices that I liked better even though they lacked the P-Zero allure.

But, hey, that's just me.

Cheers
DD

2ndeagle (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:23 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
It's what I call the "feel good" factor. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are certain things that just seem to go together.

A long, long time ago when I first starting driving Jags I always insisted on Castrol lubricants. Castrol and Jaguar just ....just....just seemed normal and right and proper together. Eventually I realized the car didn't care. The fuss was purely about making me feel good.

For a several years I had an XJR/6 as a daily driver. It originally came with P-Zeros. I found choices that I liked better even though they lacked the P-Zero allure.

But, hey, that's just me.

Cheers
DD
I definitely do “feel good” stuff like this a lot with my cars. And indeed I use Castrol oil and lubricants in the Jag, because it seems right and just. 😊

Doug (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 05:14 AM
Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

A great imponderable about tires for my '03 VDP based in Northern Virginia. I'm in my mid 70s, only drive about 5,000 miles a year. I just care about good wet/dry traction/stopping ability, and quiet. Applicable Michelin tires at Costco have B ratings for treadwear and heat tolerance. Continentals available elsewhere have A ratings.

Under the circumstances, should I give a hoot about the difference between the A and B ratings on treadwear and heat resistance?

Quick Reply: Cheap tires runs great .