XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cheap tires runs great .

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 08:06 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not a Castroil purust, but it a good example. For oil, like tires, I do not always buy the most expensive brand, but i will stick with known quality brands. Just as I will not put ChangDo tires on my Jag, I will not put dollar store motor oil in its engine. I no longer buy Uro brand parts either. There is a line between being budget conscious and being plain cheap. If I were buying a Jag and it had Generals instead of P zeros, I would not hesitate. If it had ChangDos I would think it was a car where the owner could not afford proper maintenance and repairs and / or that it was a sketchy used car dealer special. If the tires are Chinesium, the brakes suspension components, etc, are likely equally low end.

OK, I'm off to find a deal on some day old sushi!

Last edited by Amphicar770; 09-20-2023 at 09:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Amphicar770:
Doug (09-20-2023), eliotb (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by eliotb
A great imponderable about tires for my '03 VDP based in Northern Virginia. I'm in my mid 70s, only drive about 5,000 miles a year. I just care about good wet/dry traction/stopping ability, and quiet. Applicable Michelin tires at Costco have B ratings for treadwear and heat tolerance. Continentals available elsewhere have A ratings.

Under the circumstances, should I give a hoot about the difference between the A and B ratings on treadwear and heat resistance?
Traction and temp ratings are alpha. Tread life rating is numeric.

From your description of usage and conditions, no, I wouldn't be concerned about A-versus-B temperature ratings. Unless, that is, you tell me you also do lots of high speed driving (like, over 80 mph for long intervals) and/or long intervals of driving at high speeds in very hot ambient conditions.

The traction rating might be a little more important. I don't think a "B" rating here means it is an unsafe tire in wet weather...but it could be better. The rating comes from a wet braking test. Wet cornering is not tested. Nor is resistance to hydroplaning. So, as ratings go, it isn't all that informative.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 09:51 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Research is best IMO. As mentioned prior, Hankook and Sumitomo were once fround upon. They now cast a wider net of acceptance. Vredestein is an up and coming brand in the 15" market. I bounce my research off installers as well. They get real world feedback, unlike some articles that mat be sponsored by brands.
I remember similar debates regarding Bosch batteries until it became known they were manufactured in the same assembly plant with Auto Zone batteries. Interstate used to me my go to until the quality/reliability no longer matched the Brand reputation.
In today's world not much is what it once was. I can go on about Brand names and reality on a host of past loyalties. I'm more judicious in my approach with nearly everything now. To each his own, regarding needs, driving style and performance requirements. My decisions are based on the purpose of the car. I spend more on maintenance and upkeep, but will compromise on tires. Meaning, I won't put Top Shelf on a weekend cruiser, but I will on my highway and daily vehicles. Tire choice can also dictate the frequency of usage.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2ndeagle:
Doug (09-20-2023), eliotb (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 05:12 AM
Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

Doug/Amphicar770/2ndeagle: Thanks for your cogent observations. And, Doug, thanks for correcting me on the difference between treadwear and traction ratings. I meant traction, wrote treadwear. My existing Bridgestones are 6 years old, have plenty of tread, but I try not to let tires sit on a car much past 6 years. My spare is, gasp, the original Michelin MXV4 spare produced in September 2001. A 22-year-old unused spare! When I swap tires one of the Bridgestones will go in the trunk.

So, yes, my primary interest is 1) traction; 2) quiet; and 3) heat tolerance. With my driving habits, treadwear is an afterthought. If life treats me good, I'll have a half-dozen 150-mile drives at speed, plus if the sun really shines on me, one run from DC to Savannah and back on I-95 where I rarely exceed 75. I'll probably replace the tires late this fall or at winter's end as I take the car out less in colder months.

In terms of other tires (I like the Vredesten appearance), I had General AltaMax on my X300 and loved them. Tried them on my X350 and they were a disaster, so swapped for Contis. I think I could put Generals on the X308, but want to stay stepped up in perceived quality.

I thank all of you again for taking time to offer education and thoughts.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

I had Coopers on my 2001; two types of Michelins on the current 2003. I thought the Coopers rode better, less tram lining and quieter. On my first 01, I swapped the Pirellis for Michelin Pilots -- quieter, better handling, better wet. Watching this thread cuz I think I am going to switch tires next Spring.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:07 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphicar770
I'm not a Castroil purust, but it a good example. For oil, like tires, I do not always buy the most expensive brand, but i will stick with known quality brands. Just as I will not put ChangDo tires on my Jag, I will not put dollar store motor oil in its engine. I no longer buy Uro brand parts either. There is a line between being budget conscious and being plain cheap. If I were buying a Jag and it had Generals instead of P zeros, I would not hesitate. If it had ChangDos I would think it was a car where the owner could not afford proper maintenance and repairs and / or that it was a sketchy used car dealer special. If the tires are Chinesium, the brakes suspension components, etc, are likely equally low end.

OK, I'm off to find a deal on some day old sushi!
That was in the past today's Huawei is top 3 mobile phone
Many new high end cars use made in china parts Porsche itself sells made in china parts some Chinese tires are high quality as high end tires in my experience farroad is the best and it's not cheap at all
​​​​​​

Old 09-23-2023, 01:40 PM

Your missing the point. Yes, China makes many quality products and, except for the built in Spyware, Huwei is a good example. They also make a lot of throw away crap. Would you buy a Truli or a Migdibi smart phone and expect it to be the same quality as a Samsung. IPhone, or even Huawei? Ive got a shelf full of quality Chinese URO parts to sell you. But, yeah, they must be just as goid as Lemforder or Moig because Huawai is from China and makes a good phone.

The OP is not claiming that his Kumhos or other name brand are a good value over Michelin or Pirelli. He is claiming, with only anecdotal evidence, that his no name, Chinesium tires are as good as any. OK, believe what you will.

If you buy a premium car like a Jaguar and can only afford crap tires, maybe just sell it and get yourself a 1980s corolla.

Last edited by Amphicar770; 09-23-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 02:06 PM
Banned

Your missing the point. Yes, China makes many quality products and, except for the built in Spyware, Huwei is a good example. They also make a lot of throw away crap. Would you buy a Truli or a Migdibi smart phone and expect it to be the same quality as a Samsung. IPhone, or even Huawei? Ive got a shelf full of quality Chinese URO parts to sell you. But, yeah, they must be just as goid as Lemforder or Moig because Huawai is from China and makes a good phone.

The OP is claiming that his Kumhos or other name brand are a good value over Michelin or Pirelli. He is claiming, with only anecdotal evidence, that his no name, Chinesium tires are as good as any. OK, believe what you will.

If you buy a premium car like a Jaguar and can only afford crap tires, maybe just sell it and get yourself a 1980s corolla.

I wouldn't mind to drive this beauty

Farroad is well made tires it's not low end cheap tires I tried Yokohama sumitomo perili but toyo was better than all of these in my experience farroad not bad at all
I have 2 of the premium jaguar and I run set of eBay coils 2 years and work as the denso I paid 99$ for set 8 pieces
And work just good as the denso and I run cheap metal water pump 25$ and I run cheap ebay x350 radiator all working fine today's high quality parts are overrated except the engine internal parts no one would go cheap but after market pistons not that bad but rings and bearings must be high quality
The x308 fail more than any good car from its era that should be sticky in the forum
I forgot to mention Christopher the hypocrite that sells ebay repacking ebay tensioners as the original ford tensioner or jaguar I had thread about that with this car cheaper doesn't mean it's bad actually I run ebay tensioners but original INA ford wide guide iwis chain wasn't necessary

Last edited by RA110623; 09-23-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:00 PM

I guess there is a reason Jaaaagh developed a reputation as a car for poor people who pretend to appear wealthy but can't pay their bills. :-(

Old 09-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Banned

I guess there is a reason Jaaaagh developed a reputation as a car for poor people who pretend to appear wealthy but can't pay their bills. :-(
Not really ppl are not mechanical engineer and generally have limited knowledge in cars and the market are full with hypocrite sellers and narcissist too honestly jaguar is beautiful car but let's be honest it's not dependable at all so when they see x type for 2k$ they will think it's a steal while it's just a nightmare that's all and generally im selective for the parts I use in my 5 cars my 1999 Subaru sti OEM spoiler cost 600$ I got aftermarket for 180$ exactly same but the aftermarket probably heavier by 2 lb only so on the turbocharger downpipe and many other parts At least I discovered Christopher is hypocrite and steal from non experienced jag owners while there's other members still recommend that that thiefAnd btw ppl that talk like you considered as narcissist I'm not saying you're narcissist but perhaps you're covert one . Have good day