XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Check rear lights amber warning on dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Check rear lights amber warning on dash

I have gotten this before but went away for sometime, quit a long time. Anyhow it started up for the past 2 or 3 days, with it coming up more frequent today. Back lights and brake lights work fine.

When I got home hooked up my scan tool and the code I have is C1300/ ABS pump motor CKT failure. So question is, could this be related (hopefully) to the solder connections in the module? I still have to check to see it the harness connector id clean and not loose, will do that on a cooler day(been hotty hot my way lately and a/c in garage is not working )

Thanks for any suggestions

Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Number one suspect is a low voltage from the battery,
Number two is a bad connection from the bulb in the bulb holder,
Number three is a bad bulb,
Number four is a bad brake switch.

I have been hunting this 2 years ago, inspected all bulbs several times.
Finally found a internally melted bulb, still fully functioning, but triggering a short and the message from time to time.
Replacing solved the issue.

The following users liked this post:
daverb (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts

I had a similar to Eric's scenario, had fully functioning bulbs w/ "Check Rear Lights Message". Upon inspection one bulb was melting & the receptacle looked as if it had been pelted w/ salt water or something as corrosive.

Last edited by King Charles; 07-25-2017 at 07:29 AM.
daverb (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Thanks guys, forgot about checking the bulbs and the connectors. should have been the first thing to think of DUH Me. will check them this week end when it cools down some

Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by daverb
Thanks guys, forgot about checking the bulbs and the connectors. should have been the first thing to think of DUH Me. will check them this week end when it cools down some
If like mine, be prepared to wrestle it with pliers & maybe curse a bit lol.

Also already 94 FH @ 8 am here lol. Want to wash my car but the humidity's like "It can wait Charles" lol.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Include the license plate lights, often overlooked.

daverb (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 AM

Come to realize, maybe it's not just me. But it seems as a new owner of the X308 we sometime forget to check the basics first, we seem to read too much into things and right off think the worse. Maybe that's because of the older Jag I have. Like the old saying for most things start and KISS (keep it simple stupid) Hopefully will get to it this weekend, so far it is to cool off somewhat. Then start pulling and checking bulb and the connectors, guess clean them up a bit and put some bulb grease/dielectric grease on them

Old 07-26-2017, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

...as a new owner of the X308 we sometime forget to check the basics first, we seem to read too much into things and right off think the worse...
Yeah, I found that reading too much about all kind of problems on this forum doesn't help in having confidence in these cars ... just riding and enjoying them works way better ...
By the way, I don't think the license plate lighting is part of the message center, but it is never wrong to check them too while you are there.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Come to realize, maybe it's not just me. But it seems as a new owner of the X308 we sometime forget to check the basics first, we seem to read too much into things and right off think the worse. Maybe that's because of the older Jag I have. Like the old saying for most things start and KISS (keep it simple stupid) Hopefully will get to it this weekend, so far it is to cool off somewhat. Then start pulling and checking bulb and the connectors, guess clean them up a bit and put some bulb grease/dielectric grease on them
Indeed, many a time I've found myself scouring this forum & fretting potential causes & it was a fuse or equally simple fix lol.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Yeah, I found that reading too much about all kind of problems on this forum doesn't help in having confidence in these cars ... just riding and enjoying them works way better ...
By the way, I don't think the license plate lighting is part of the message center, but it is never wrong to check them too while you are there.
It may not, but on my X300 it was, so it's worth including.