XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Chicago: 04 XJR: Psgr Door Handle- Cable Broken, Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago: 04 XJR: Psgr Door Handle- Cable Broken, Door Won't Open

The title pretty much sums it up. A passenger pulled to hard on the inside handle (instead of allowing me to push the dash button), and yanked the cable out of place. Now, the door doesn't open from the inside nor outside.

Not sure if I want to tackle this but I'd like to at least get the part before taking it to the dealer. I suppose they now how to get the door panel off without opening the door. I've read several posts but none presumed you couldn't open the door!

Honestly, the handle was a bit sticky from the outside. But, I thought most of passengers were pulling UP instead of OUT on the handle. Maybe something was going wrong all along.

Please offer some direction on what to do. If you're in ChicagoLand and want to make a few bucks, let me know. (sharrieff*yahoo*com)

Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharrieff
The title pretty much sums it up. A passenger pulled to hard on the inside handle (instead of allowing me to push the dash button), and yanked the cable out of place. Now, the door doesn't open from the inside nor outside.

Not sure if I want to tackle this but I'd like to at least get the part before taking it to the dealer. I suppose they now how to get the door panel off without opening the door. I've read several posts but none presumed you couldn't open the door!

Honestly, the handle was a bit sticky from the outside. But, I thought most of passengers were pulling UP instead of OUT on the handle. Maybe something was going wrong all along.

Please offer some direction on what to do. If you're in ChicagoLand and want to make a few bucks, let me know. (sharrieff*yahoo*com)
Sorry to hear the tale.....Can't help with technical advice on this, however, I'd encourage you to have a go yourself - I am thinking that satisfaction aside, the parts costs are probably far outweighed by the dealership labour charges..... I am sure someone on the forum know just how to get the door card off with the door shut, if it's possible. Allan

Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Thanks Maninahat98, I'll consider it if someone posts some helpful advice on removing the door panel/door card with the door closed.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Not sure you need the door card *off* so much as opened enough to unlatch the door...

I am guessing you cant open it from the outside?

(sorry, gotta check ALL possible scenarios.)

Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM

You're right DSnyder. No, I really don't need the entire door card/panel off. And no, I can't open it from the outside either. The tension cord is somehow broken.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Here's what I am thinking for the first go-around:

Remove the door handle and wood then try and hook a metal clothes hanger to the latch where the cable normally connects to open the door. You may need a diagram of how the latch works to get an idea.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

This should work, if it doesn't..........after you remove the wood and the handle, remove the grab handle as well, and cut the door panel! You can destroy the thing. Replacements are available on Ebay for about 50 bucks (I have a MINT one in Ivory collecting dust in my garage!). The cable CAN NOT be purchased separate from the inner handle!! Dealers want 150-160, and the junkyards 50% of that for this "assembly". I still can't figure out how is this supposed to be an "assembly".

I gave up the fight, and made my own "cable" from the lawnmower choke cable. Once everything is assembled, nobody is any wiser.

Bottom line,......"assembly" from the junkyard, door panel from Ebay (about 150 bucks total), and an hour of your DIY, and you'll be good to go. Or,.......a piece of cable from the bicycle shop, removable ends, cut the cable to size, bolt the ends, and put it together. Total less than 10 bucks, plus the door panel (if you end up cutting it!). If you can use Ivory (NED) panel, you can have mine, if you pay shipping.

There is always more than one way to skin the Cat!

P.S. If you are closer, I would open that door for you w/o any damage. I have THE BEST car opening kit that's available to cops, thieves, and dealerships (I owned dealerships once). And no,...."slim jim" won't work, and you'll see why, once you take the door apart.

What puzzles me though,.......if the cable is broken by the passenger forcing the handle, the electric part should still work. When you press the button on the dash nothing happens?

Last edited by danielsand; 07-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sharrieff (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Daniesland: Thanks for the response. Although I can't picture what you're saying I'm sure once I get into it I'll begin to understand. And yes, the electric still works fine when I press the dash button- I can hear the "motor" moving but nothing unlocks. In fact, the unlock button still moves outward but the pull handle is still hyper-extended.

I could find a bicycle shop for the cable- no problem. I'm looking for a standard brake cable correct? What length? What does "bolt" the ends mean?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM

And check out this link to purchase a cable: Door Handle Cable - gnc1100.cable

Am I missing something here?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharrieff
And check out this link to purchase a cable: Door Handle Cable - gnc1100.cable

Am I missing something here?

This is a great price, AND separate from the handle! Go for it. The "ends" (you can see them in the picture), are permanently pressed (crimpped) on the cable. Bike shops have these ends that you thread the cable through, and then tighten the screw inside the "end", that captures the cable.

How long is the cable? Well, I never bothered to measure. Took it out, and cut the new one to match. Once you get it out, it will all be clear.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (07-09-2013)