XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Chrome around J Gate

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome around J Gate

The J Gate has plastic that looks like chrome. A tiny bit of it has rubbed or peeled off. How do you fix that. Most people would not notice it but I do. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Default A picture?

Hi Bethany,

Do you have a picture of the area that shows the J gate with the missing chrome?
Also you may have to replace it with a "new" part.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

The easiest, and the cheapest way to "fix" this, is to buy a good J gate bezel of the junkyard. There is one in CA (they ship), called "Elite Auto". They have low mileage Jags that were totaled by the insurance, and they have every part you can imagine. Give them a call, ask for Rick (the owner), and tell him that you got his name on this forum. He'll ship you what you need. "How to" replace the bezel is available on this forum, and Youtube.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I should have one in a parts car also Bethany as well, if you can't find one. I know it is there and nice. There is really never a way to replace chrome except having it rechromed, which would cost far more then getting a replacement. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by danielsand
The easiest, and the cheapest way to "fix" this, is to buy a good J gate bezel of the junkyard. There is one in CA (they ship), called "Elite Auto". They have low mileage Jags that were totaled by the insurance, and they have every part you can imagine. Give them a call, ask for Rick (the owner), and tell him that you got his name on this forum. He'll ship you what you need. "How to" replace the bezel is available on this forum, and Youtube.
Thank you so much. Now I know what to call it and how to fix it. Very appreciated information.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Thank you too! It's nice to know all I have to do is ask and someone there has an answer.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Twenty years ago, this was just a dream. These cars DO have their issues, and maintaining one was a nightmare, and VERY expensive. The cost for the confirmed DIY person was in diagnistics mostly, and very few people (including Indy and dealer shops) were able to diagnose the problems in the reasonable time (and NOT in their best interest). Today,.......we have this forum. Whatever is the problem you are experiencing with your car, chances are that someone, somewhere in the world, had the same problem that he fixed, or figured the way around it. Even bonafide technicians, trained on these cars, are freely giving their opinions, and advices.
This IS invaluable! Thanks to the owners/moderators of this forum, and the participants (you and me), there is NOTHING a commited DIY person can not fix.
I am such a person, but even I don't have time, or I don't want to get dirty for some bigger tasks. So armed with the knowledge gained on this forum, I deliver the car to my mechanic, and TELL him precicely what to do. At first, he was trying to argue and tell me what HE thinks needs to be done, and I was adamant that I want him to do as I say, and I will pay him for it. Now,....he is SHOCKED as how accurate the diagnostics off of this forum are.
ANYONE can turn the wrench, and replace the parts ("monkey see - monkey do"), but the real advantage is to correctly diagnose the problem (even if just narrowing it down), and know where to look.

And thank you all for sharing and participating in the discussions. Knowledge is power.