XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Code reader

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Code reader

2000 VDP

Alright, the transmission is about to be rebuilt. Just waiting for warfare (parts to reach this area. The local Jag/Audi/Suburu dealer never have any Jag parts in stock, at least none of the common and uncommon parts I asked for albeit some requests was just testing their inventory and the ones they have to or able to order takes weeks.) Not sure where my mechanic will get the rebuilding parts from this time as first he tries the aboved mentioned place, they had nothing as usual. Would tell him to try the BMW spot but work being done under warrenty so must play by the book. He also have spots from two AZ dealerships, a Colorado one, and Las Vegas spot (where he orders Bentley/Rolls-Royce parts from too (Bentley/Jaguar dealership)). So in a nutcase, we'll be waiting for parts for at least three working days or if the warrenty people insist on the local Jag dealership, another two weeks at least.

While we wait, the slip and slam into gear problem (probably the a-drum) causes the fault light to come on only when the fault happens not on start up but the code is stored. After all the repairs are said and done the code will be there and since the warrenty doesnt cover code lights, that means I'm free to have it done anywhere and any way I can (they say it wont affect warranty coverage as long as some nut case doesnt manage to plug something in wrong and fry a cpu, which I wouldnt put it past these incompetent imbeciles at the Jag/Audi/Subaru so called dealership would figure out a way to do just that.)

So where can I get a good OBD 2 code reader for this Jag. I found a generic one that would probably take care of the generic codes now how about one that can take care of these specific codes. I figure if there are out there for MBZ there is one for Jaguar which have codes seemingly that follows standard coding. Which if ya ever worked on a OBD 2 MBZ before you know good and well their codes are totally different from anything in the world and most dont even start off with the usual lettering system such as P for powertrain like Jag/Ford/Linc/Mercury do. Even for basic MBZ codes, ya can forget about it unless you buy the STAR system.

I'll take price ranges from one that is basic but get the job done to the full monty with free shoe polish service.

Note: two subjects but didnt think the first subject required a whole new separate post.

If push come to shove and "there is no such thing as a code reader for Jag", I'll find one anyways and or just leave the light on to reset at my leisure but since I have time to kill, the help would be appreciated.

And finally, what is this blue goop stuff that is online that says it's for rebuilding a transmission called Smart Blend BlueTrans Prep Transmission Parts Assembly Lube about? Now it says it lubricates the o-rings, gaskets, seals, bearings and bushings during assemblies and helps prevent misdiagnosis of leaks. Now, as finiky as the ZF5hp24 or any ZF transmission is with what ya put in it, is this stuff even safe or just another marketing scam? It says it does not clog the parts or filters
and dissolves quickly at operating temperatures, but where does it go after that and what is it made of? Should I expect a blue dyed filter the next go round, or voided warrenty because this additive messed something up or changed the chemical property of the transmission oil or what?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

auto engenuity software with a laptop is pretty much the easiest way to go according to most input on this forum, software is $250ish, jaguar expansion is close to $250, if you already have a windows laptop you are good

Old 07-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'd be inclined not to use anything like that blue lube unless it's specifically mentioned in the ZF rebuild.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

I just used the ZF fluid to lube things.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Yea I figured that the ZF oil would be enough lubrication. Since the mechanic never heard of the stuff when I asked him if he will be using it, that is good sign.

Hmm that is not bad prices at all. Just have to find a laptop. Maybe a local pawn shop have one that I can use for that purpose only. I might use that laptop specifically for digital repair manuals too from various makes.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,815 Likes on 2,244 Posts

I bought a laptop just for Autoenginuity, JTIS, pdf downloads and parts sources, etc. I think it was money well spent.
RJ________________
97XK8 Conv 85K mi

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code reader/Laptop

Hey Blackwolf, I use an old Dell D610 with windows XP Pro, all service packs, that stays in the garage and it works great. EBay, there super cheap.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM

too bad I dont have a garage. Hard to find one on decently priced houses here. This is the land of no garages (Plenty of paint shops though) and one bathrooms (not uncommon to come across a home for sale/rent with 2-3 bedrooms and ONE bathroom and $1200 for rent or $180,000 price.). While those prices on paper dont sound like much when you see these things in person, you'll realize they are way overpriced and many just sit onthe market for years. Been here 4 years and most of them are still for sell and or unoccupied for rent.

Soon I should be out of here though and be able to get reasonable priced housing with grass and more than one bathroom and a garage.