XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Computer software

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Computer software

I have an iCarSoft i930 for getting fault codes etc, I also have a small unit permanently connected in the car that sends similar data to Torque Pro on a smart phone connected via Bluetooth.

However, I recently had a problem where the car went into 'Safe Mode' and wouldn't even turn over, the problem turned out to be that the gear lever hadn't gone into Park when I pulled up and switched off or something similar. Moving the gear lever and doing a hard reset with the battery connections fixed the problem. Neither of my devices picked up the problem though, it was only when a friend with a really expensive piece of kit diagnosed the problem that I found what was wrong.

I am not looking for such an expensive piece of kit my friend used, what I would like is some software that can be read by a Laptop via Bluetooth for general maintenance and checking. I have read about various packages but what is the experience of users as to the best they have used? I also remember looking at one package that effectively put an Oscilloscope on a Laptop screen, and could show a timeline of the engine performance as it was running, I would be very interested in such a software package if one exists for my car?

It may well be I need a much better sender unit that will read codes more accurately and in much more depth, I don't know, so again what do others think is the best?

I really enjoy tinkering with the car as most enthusiasts do, and regular checks can keep the car on the road, but there are no specific faults I need to address at this time. I just want to enjoy checking, making sure settings are good, maybe a software package that can indicate how to resolve any problem that occurs too?

Is there such software packages out there that Jag enthusiasts have used, those especially compatible with my 1998 XJ8 3.2 of course?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

There is nothing comprehensive that is anything other than either very very painful and requires a laptop or is expensive - or both. These are old, low volume cars.

You can do something simple with graphs but it is only going to be for the one module not the whole car and would not have helped with the problem described.

The graphs tend to confuse but look pretty. Figure what and why you would want such.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

There's WDS/IDS Jaguar Landrover hardware and software, scarce, expensive dealer level diagnostics
Mongoose SSD I think reads codes but cannot alter settings, again dealer level and for later model cars from JLR.
Then there's Autologic and their Jaguar specific pack - last time I looked around £500.

The fault you experienced will have been on the CanBus, or information network, and simple OBD readers do not access the full Can network, only the P codes from the Engine ECU.
To access the Can network and read C codes for example needs a professional scanner, as in your friends equipment. I use a Snap On Solus for ABS/Trans faults. I don't know of a cheap option to fully interrogate these cars CanBus, but I'm sure there's plenty of pro (expensive) options. Identify one that'll work and hunt for a second hand unit.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts