XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Condensation rear window XJ Sovereign

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation rear window XJ Sovereign

Hi all,

First post on here and first Jag for me as of a week ago!

Lovely example fairly old but in good condition regards bodywork just a few niggles internally.

Now that the weather is turning cold I've found my rear window, mainly, and sometimes the front windscreen if fogging up overnight or during the day. This has been varying levels but sometimes quite heavy so it can take a good while to clear.

I do not use A/C or recirculation at all so wondered what could cause this?

I am having issues over only getting warm air when car is at reasonable speed/revs but I think this is unrelated...auxiliary pump maybe?

Great of anyone can give me some good advice or where to start.

Many thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

welcome aboard....had similar problem with my 85 xj6. you will probably note when it rains or is damp/humid out.....it will take longer for windows to clear up.....no doubt we are talking a leak somewhere....the window seals /rubbers do dry up over time or water could be getting in/through the sun roof. I would also look for water dripping passenger side under glove box. this is where the water got in in my car...need to check on your model...follow heat/hoses through/to fire wall.

I also had my rear window/screen removed and re-sealed first than fixed the leak in the front. I would not automatically rule out the heat problem you are having as contributing to the problem.....try running the car without the heat a few days and note if water/moisture still getting in.

Unless you can identify a puddle somewhere in the car, this becomes a trial and error issue. Lets see what others say but in my experience, the problem (like many) starts off small and slowly gets worse. You will see greater fogging and taking longer to clear up.

Don't want to alarm you, because this problem can be remedied. You don't want to get to a point where you begin to smell a dampness in the car itself all the time....as water gets into fabric etc.good luck and let us know how you make out