XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.

Hi all,

I'm brand new around here, and followed rules by posting in the intro section first! I had an XJ6 years ago; it was wrecked though, and haven't had one since. I've been in the market for bit now and think I've found "the one".

I found a local ad for a 2000 XJ VDP, supercharged, black on black, 46k miles, $14k price. I thought maybe the supercharged statement was a misprint.

So, I went and looked at it. It's legit. It's also in near-mint condition, with almost zero wear on the inside. It could sit on a showroom floor. I think I found one ding in the chrome, and that's after looking hard.

I drove it, and it's incredible. Acceleration is smooth, as is the ride. Great feel all-around.

So then... through reading this forum, I've made myself aware of some potential issues, such as the Nikasil problems and the tensioner issues. This car has been fully serviced at the local Jag dealer for its entire life, but I don't believe these 2 areas were addressed. I'm not too worried about the tensioners though, as I would probably just do that as preventative anyway if they've not been replaced.

I know they're incredibly rare. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other known issues I should look at. Maybe I'm being **** about it... but buying a 13-year-old performance sedan is a bit nerve-wracking (I've had BAD luck with 2 German autos so am gun-shy).

Any thoughts or feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

-D

Attached Thumbnails Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.-1w_640.jpg   Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.-qa_640.jpg   Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.-fg_640.jpg   Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.-ja_640.jpg   Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.-rw_640.jpg  

Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.-sq_640.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

You should be worried about the tensioners and you need to price that swap out into the price. Do those immediately or you run the risk of the engine going kaput and spending 5k or so to replace the engine. I'd worry less about the nikasil as long as you use 93 octane fuel. But even that, i'd have some money set aside to replace.

The x308's are pretty solid aside those two issues you were concerned with, and really easy to fix issues yourself which cuts down operation cost. Other than that.. a 46k mile car is a stellar find and I doubt the normal wear and tear issues exist.

Last edited by princemarko; 02-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DGaige (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Do it.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm fairly certain I can talk them down in price, and have considered citing the tensioner issue to do so. Also, I've purchased from this particular lot before, so get some sort of "loyalty" bonus.

Realistically, I have a feeling I can get it for $12k. I'm not certain they (or the previous owners) know what they fully have sitting there.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM

pull the trigger... a 46k mile Super V8(VDP Supercharged) doesn't come along often

DGaige (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you run a carfax? I know not always the best source,but.
Even with the low miles, you never know what may show, price seems a tad high,however I'm In Ca. and the value may be a litte different out here.
You did hit on the weak spot,T/Chain tensioners, and with out a doubt you have the old type, but as you don't have VVT, not a big deal Mine did'nt make noise untill 115k.
Fuel pumps are a soft area and this can be an age and or miles issue.
Rear headliner will sag, If it already has not, there are many fix's on this site.
You have the 772.6 trans(this is good) all In all this cat Is bullit proof If just fairly maintened.
GO FOR IT, not only will you love It, It will make to smile a lot...CM

DGaige (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM

I was presented a carfax on it, yes. Everything appeared in order, and it's been maintained throughout its life at the Jag dealership from where it first was purchased in '00.

Due to the rarity (unless I'm mistaken?), I felt the price was reflective of that, though I do understand it's high for an XJ; however, considering what it is, I didn't think it wholly unreasonable or anything. Then again, I plan on haggling.

I checked the headliner and it shows no signs of sagging (for now).

As for the Nikasil, I'm used to putting 93 in my vehicles anyway so doing so for this car would just be par for the course.

Having owned 2 German cars (an '03 and an '04), I'm used to spending an appalling amount of money maintaining / fixing / fuming in regards to them. My old Jag was a trouble-free wonder, and I've heard the newer Jags (to include as far back as this car) are nowhere near as trouble-prone as the vehicles I'm used to.

EDIT: I just spoke to the Jaguar dealership (they actually called me back to answer some questions about the car!) and it's confirmed the tensioners have NOT been serviced or replaced. I was quoted somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5k - $3k to get in there and replace everything; around $1.8k for just the tensioners, but they recommended that if they opened it up to do it, replacing all of it made more sense.

Last edited by DGaige; 02-19-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DGaige
I was presented a carfax on it, yes. Everything appeared in order, and it's been maintained throughout its life at the Jag dealership from where it first was purchased in '00.

Due to the rarity (unless I'm mistaken?), I felt the price was reflective of that, though I do understand it's high for an XJ; however, considering what it is, I didn't think it wholly unreasonable or anything. Then again, I plan on haggling.

I checked the headliner and it shows no signs of sagging (for now).

As for the Nikasil, I'm used to putting 93 in my vehicles anyway so doing so for this car would just be par for the course.

Having owned 2 German cars (an '03 and an '04), I'm used to spending an appalling amount of money maintaining / fixing / fuming in regards to them. My old Jag was a trouble-free wonder, and I've heard the newer Jags (to include as far back as this car) are nowhere near as trouble-prone as the vehicles I'm used to.

EDIT: I just spoke to the Jaguar dealership (they actually called me back to answer some questions about the car!) and it's confirmed the tensioners have NOT been serviced or replaced. I was quoted somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5k - $3k to get in there and replace everything; around $1.8k for just the tensioners, but they recommended that if they opened it up to do it, replacing all of it made more sense.
On the low mileage, the primaries should be ok, and as usual, the dealership is skyrocket high. The secondaries are relatively dead simple to replace but hey, the dealer must make some money right.

The pre-95 XJ6s seemed to be known for electrical issues which wasa PITA to figure out. The 95-97 XJ6 is about as solid as they come. XJ8s are ok but havea few weak spots. The supercharged is good choice as it has a very strudy MBZ transmission. The tensioners, as mentioned and sometimes it seems, and I just found this out recently that the TPS and wires get quirky sometimes requiring a whole new Throttle Body which can cost a couple of thousands easy for a rebuilt one and up to $5,800 just for the throttle body from the dealer (as quoted here in ELP). Besides that it's a solid car. The nikisil problem is not so much of an issue now especially for most cars of the 2000 MY. If it runs good now, you should be straight as far as the nikisil problem and wont have to worry about it. Always use good gas in these cars. They can be picky but in some places good reputable gas is hard to find unless ya live in a major city. I have to drive about 15 miles to find a decent gas station. Even the gas on the military installation here dont work, seems to give most problems in all my cars that require high quality fuel. Yeah, I too had a bunch of German cars through my life. The Jag is interesting to say the least. A bit different and a little niggle here and there that dont seem to make a lick of sense in design as far as mechanicals go compared to German cars but they seemed to have worked out most of the major issues.

DGaige (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Everything is great, except for Nikasil. Never know when a crack will develop. Although high mileage nikasil engine owners swear that the "storm" has passed at the 6 digit odo readings, to me its playing "russian roulette" every time you turn the key. It is a gorgeous car and a super rare one to boot. But is it worth to have the nikasil thought lurking in the back of your mind??

The price is too high, again based on the fact that it has a nikasil lined engine. A non-SC 100k 2000 VDP would be around $6k-$7k, so this one should be no more than $10k. Tensioners at an independent Jaguar shop should be no more than $1k (mine ran $860 with oil change). If you are dead set on this car, use the info regarding the required replacement of tensioners and the dealer price quote to bring the price down.

Jaguar market is a buyer's market. VDPs generally appeal to a more mature crowd that does not feel the need for the extra 80hp. Those looking for more performance were more commonly after the XJR. This should play in your favor. To a person not familiar with Jaguars, the price will be too high compared to other VDPs. To a person familiar with Jaguars, the nikasil motor and tensioners will be a huge factor in negotiations.

I'd personally recommend X300-R. That 6 cylinder was a great motor. Problem is in finding a clean low mileage one. You will find a better selection in the X308 body. In that case 2002-2003 are the ones to get, although the 2001 are just fine considering the price trade off, even if you do have to replace the tensioners in the '01.

DGaige (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Again, thank you all for the great feedback. I certainly appreciate it, as I'm very much a neophyte anymore... trying to get back into Jags after YEARS away is rather daunting.

I e-mailed the salesguy about the tensioners, Nikasil, etc, and received this reply:

"I talked to our mechanic and he said you will start to hear rattling at start-up if the cam chain tensioners are going bad. He hasnt heard about problems with the Nikasil issues. He said that our car is in very good shape and should be a great car for someone. Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions."

I replied that I'd need to do the tensioners as preventative maintenance, which haven't been done and so I'd be stupid not to do. I received this reply:

"I understand. Let me know if i can be of further assistance."

What? Really? I wanted to e-mail the guy and tell him he hasn't been any assistance whatsoever anyway...

So, I'm still a bit torn. I've found a racing green '95 XJ12 with 59k nearby for $5.8k. I may consider that, though I know the XJ12 can be a nightmare. I may look into some '94 - '97 XJ6s or something (as suggested above) or '01 - '03 (as also suggested above).

Though, I'm not quite sure I'm willing to give up on the supercharge VDP. I may go down this weekend and start more face-to-face negotiations. We'll see.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM

listen.... GET THE CAR. The Tensioners is a $1k job tops.. .the Nikasil you can deal with for a while, just make sure you stay with 93 octane petrol and monitor it from time to time. That is a really rare car and with 46K mile which is unheard of.... hell I'll even buy if you dont!!

Last edited by princemarko; 02-20-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Ya- there will be a line behind you if you don't buy it. Please post if you do not, I would imagine someone on here will pick it up if you do not....

Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

This IS a nice car. Nicasil is a non issue for me, and the tensioners are "second generation", and not as dangerous as the "first generation". In any case, the upper tensioners can be replaced for under $500 (if you pay someone to do it), or DIY for less than $300. The primaries I would leave alone.

I would offer 12K OTD on it, and walk if they want more.

Last edited by danielsand; 02-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

"I would offer 12K OTD on it, and walk if they want more."

He says, scanning airfare prices to Sarasota from LAX..

lol

Do it, or you will remember that car as "the one that got away" for the..rest...of...your...life.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

The VDP S/C models were built in very low numbers. In my opinion, as I own one, they are the very best X308 model available. You get all of the upgraded VDP interiors, generous rear seat legroom, along with the power of the S/C engine and the reliability of the Mercedes transmission.

You should negotiate the price to cover changing the secondary tensionsers - you can't chance waiting until you hear a noise. If you are really concerned about if it has a Nikasil engine you can get the engine # of the block and check on this forum to see if it is indeed a Nikasil block.

If I were still lookiing to buy one I would be very interested in this car
Good luck

Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
"I would offer 12K OTD on it, and walk if they want more."

He says, scanning airfare prices to Sarasota from LAX..

lol

Do it, or you will remember that car as "the one that got away" for the..rest...of...your...life.
I can be in Sarasota in 45 minutes with cash in hand...

Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

If I was in Tampa I would drive down just to take a look at it.
Princemarko do it and report back on the condition of the car.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM

It should not be bad. 46K on the clock, and the OP says it's like new inside. The ONLy issue with me would be the paint (original or not, "touched up" or not, over buffed,....etc.). IF the paint meets my standards, I'd pay cash 12K OTD. But to waste a day (or two), and pay the airfare,.......well I'm not desperate. Many a time I drove 2+ hours in CA, for the car that was described "MINT" by the seller (pictures really don't tell!), only to find a car with the repainted fender, thin paint, peeling clearcoat, door dings, etc........a lot of people use the term "mint" in a very loose way.
I understand that sellers want to unload it ASAP, but why describing something as "perfect", only to raise the expectations of the buyer, and let the buyer have a total disappointment face to face?

When I was shopping last time, one guy replied to my pointed flaws: "if you wanted the new car, you should be in the dealership"! And that was after I drove almost three hours one way to see it, after he said "mint, no disappointments". After his remark, I carefully looked around, and after seeing some observers (and the potential witnesses), I decided not to punch his light out, instead I just gave him my usual GFY, that I use for the jerks like that. After that he said: "How much would you give me for it?" And I offered 1K less than I was ready to pay before his remark (over a third less than he was asking). He said:"No way!" I turned around and went to my Benz, and opened the door, motioning my wife to follow. Before I had a chance to sit in the driver's seat, he said: "You have cash on you?" I slightly opened my coat for him to see the handle of the Glock, and said "yes I do".

Twenty minutes later I drove my VDP home. I love that car!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Just to add a little explanation, so you folks don't get a wrong impression about my car purchase routine.

The seller had my VDP parked on the intersection of two rural roads, about an hour north of L.A. (with "for sale" sign on the windshield)

I did not meet him at his home, or place of business, or anywhere else "civilized". He had another guy with him (I had my wife for "backup"!). A wad of Benjamins in the pocket, and in the setting like that, things can go wrong very fast. There was a ranch house about 200 yards away, and some people were observing what we are doing. I met him at the gas station 15 minutes drive from where the VDP was parked, and followed his car to the proverbial "middle of nowhere". Even my wife remarked: "Where the hell this guy is taking us?"

That's all. Normally, I don't go shopping "strapped", but this was not a normal experience.

Last edited by danielsand; 02-20-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM

what dealer is the car at? I'll go look at it.

Quick Reply: Considering purchase: '00 XJ VDP, Supercharged.