XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Considering Purchase of XJR - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 PM
j4m
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for all ....

I've never yet had a car's engine and transmission make it to 200K miles, although my SUV that I bought new in '03 just turned 120K. It has a slight valve tick at start up and then goes away, other than that it's still in excellent condition ...

That said...

For a '02 -'03, Jaguar XJ series well maintained car, what would be the top millage limit I should stay under for engine and transmission reliability?

P.S. Assuming I will do all the required maintenance as needed that I listed above in my OP.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 871 Likes on 718 Posts

Depends on where you live and how you drive. Fill in some data, please.

This car will go forever, in SOCAL and driven carefully.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:32 PM
j4m

We have no salt on the roads, and almost no snow, just allot of rain that's it during the spring, winter and fall. It will be driven primarily on sunny days or very light rain. It will never be driven in a torrential downpours, as I have my SUV for bad weather. I always let my cars warm up a bit before I start driving them, and let them get up to temperature and drive for a bit before I get on the throttle. The car will not be raced or tracked, but an occasional spirited driving yes, I look forward to some long road trips.

The car will be kept in a locked garage under car cover when not driven. It will be well taken care of with regular fluid changes and mechanical upkeep. Annual miles will probably be around 5-8k at the most.

Assuming I find a car in excellent condition that checks out fine mechanically, what millage of car should I not go above? The highest millage car I ever bought was a 100k mile Subaru XT Turbo Coupe sports car. (a cool little futuristic sports car, btw ..) It turned out to be reliable but didn't last long only a few years after that had major engine trouble.

That said, I'm a bit leery of high millage cars, because the higher the millage the more you're buying someone else prior upkeep habits (which may or may not have been good). But you all tell me, because you know these cars better than I.

Thanks.

Last edited by j4m; 03-11-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

I can't speak to your own habits and so forth, but my '03 I just purchased, had 112k on it, and I have no doubt I'll hit 200k with little fuss. My 3-series, I bought with 110k on it, and just hit 190k last week. It comes down to the way you maintain them. If they have been totally neglected the first 100k then yes, it doesn't bode well for the 2nd half of it's life. That said though, usually that level of neglect will be obvious not only in engine performance, but elsewhere in the car. People that are meticulous about the rest of the car, are likely to be so with mechanical doings. I'm also fairly confident in my own DIY abilities, and know that I will stay on top of the needs it may require along the way.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:50 AM
j4m

Question to all ...

What kind of gas millage have you been getting? Not that I can't afford premium, top-tier gasoline, I can, just curious. As a reference my 5.7 L, V8 LT1 engine in my Vett can get up 30 MPG highway with the cruise control on. It runs about 1500 RPM @ 60 MPH.

Also ...

This may seem like a silly question but have any of you experienced theft or vandalism of the hood ornament? I've heard throughout my car friends/circles, that Jag's and Mercedes with prominent hood ornaments had/has this problem. When you can't keep the car in sight like at a restaurant, do you take it off? The one I test drove it was missing and it looks like they unscrew.

Thanks

Last edited by j4m; 03-12-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Around town, stop and go traffic in the suburbs, I average 10-11 mpg. Much better on the highway though.

As for the hood ornament, I cant imagine anyone worrying so much about that they remove it from the car whenever it is out of sight, lol. Thats just hilarious. My 98 XJR didnt come with a leaper, but to install one it looks like Id have to drill holes into my hood. Not something Im willing to do

Last edited by Muti007; 03-12-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:29 PM
j4m

My first consideration was black. But after seeing this picture, I may have second thoughts. This color is nice. What is the name of this color?

Considering Purchase of XJR - Advice please-dsc00853.jpg

Old 03-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by j4m
Question to all ...

What kind of gas millage have you been getting? Not that I can't afford premium, top-tier gasoline, I can, just curious. As a reference my 5.7 L, V8 LT1 engine in my Vett can get up 30 MPG highway with the cruise control on. It runs about 1500 RPM @ 60 MPH.

Also ...

This may seem like a silly question but have any of you experienced theft or vandalism of the hood ornament? I've heard throughout my car friends/circles, that Jag's and Mercedes with prominent hood ornaments had/has this problem. When you can't keep the car in sight like at a restaurant, do you take it off? The one I test drove it was missing and it looks like they unscrew.

Thanks
Corvettes usually get great highway mileage between low end torque, light weight car and gearing. My 87 Auto with 2.73 rears got 27 at 70mph. My XKR and XJR suffer from the gearing. A 6th and tall gear would have helped immensely. I get 20ish @ 70.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:36 PM

That is a very nice color, beautiful. But you can never go wrong with black, especially on an XJR

Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Mileage I've been seeing is about 15 ish around to work and back, which is a mix of hills and straights. Highway trip was just under 23 with the cruise set to 72. Dropping to 65 would probably up it to 25 or so, but I don't like slow

That is a sharp color, even though I'm partial to black myself. Not sure what it's called though. As for the leaper, I haven't feared for it but I'm also pretty rural so I guess I'm just in the frame of mind that if it happens, I'll worry about it then.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:25 PM
j4m

So... let's see if I got the different models correct for 2002-2003

My assumption is they all have the same body lines except for:

The XJ-8 is shorter wheel base with the naturally aspirated V8 with cushy suspension.
The XJ-8 Sport is the shorter wheel base with the naturally aspirated V8 and sport suspension. (A naturally aspirated XJR)
The XJ-8 Vanden Plas is the longer wheel base with naturally aspirated V8 and cushy suspension.
The XJ-8 Vanden Plas Super V8 is the longer wheel base with the supercharged V8 and cushy suspension.

--> Insert: Is there a XJ-8 Vanden Plas Super V8 with sports suspension? (basically a longer wheel base XJR?) I've seen some XJ-8 VP with lower profile tires and Jag rims (like on the XJR) and ones with the more traditional higher profile sedan tires and Jag rims.

The XJR is the shorter wheel base with supercharged V8 with sport suspension.
The XJR 100 is the same as the XJR with different interior styling and BBS wheels.

Is that all correct?

I read that some have air suspension? If so, which models?

-Thanks

Last edited by j4m; 03-12-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by j4m
I read that some have air suspension? If so, which models?
-Thanks
You are basically correct in your listing of the different models.

Some guys have added or swapped sway bars to the "cushy" models to tighten up the suspension. The fronts are easy on most models, the rears usually require special brackets to be fabricated.

2004+ have air suspension which fails on all of them in time, conversion kits are available from Arnott for reasonable cost vs the expensive factory "bags."

Some of the later models, late 2001 and 2002-2003 may have CATS electronically adjustable shocks.

Not sure if they are worth the considerable extra cost over conventional shocks to replace when necessary. I bought my 2001 because it did not have CATS for that reason.
Vector

Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 PM
j4m

Can the XJR tires and wheels be put on the XJ-8 Vanden Plas? If so will that give it the same stance as the XJR or will it need to be lowered a bit as well?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 PM
j4m

I discovered there is also a XJ-8 Super V8 which is the shorter wheel base with supercharged engine and cushy suspension. I've added it to my list above.

Does anyone have the answer to my previous question above? ^^^^

Also, How do you use the installed telephone system? Is it a subscription service? Can it be modified to use your Bluetooth cell phone? What are you all using that for?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:42 PM

You are mixing multiple generations together as if theyre all different versions of the same car. They are not

Old 03-13-2015, 02:35 PM
j4m

Originally Posted by Muti007
You are mixing multiple generations together as if theyre all different versions of the same car. They are not
From my research the listing I posted above is basically correct. If you believe what I listed above is incorrect can you please clarify your statement, it would be helpful.

From this write up for the 2003 XJ Series:

2003*Jaguar*XJ Review By Jim Flammang

"The XJ Series lineup still includes the base XJ8, XJ Sport, extended-length Vanden Plas, XJR, and Super V8, which is an extended-wheelbase supercharged sedan. The XJ Sport sedan that was added for 2002 combines the standard XJ8 powertrain with a sport-tuned suspension, sport seats and 18-inch tires."

Old 03-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

there is nothing you can look out or doing maintenance, over the years of owning my XJR.

I changed/replaced/repaired/upgraded all major moving parts of my car. my list can run up the 2 pages long

so no need to watch out, things will break. if you dont have the mindset and willingness . this is not a car for you.

I wish you luck

Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
My only complaint is I like to pull my left knee up between the wheel and door from time to time, but my normal position makes that a tight squeeze.
Funny, I have the same beef. It's okay as long as I keep the steering wheel tilted all the way up. I tend to attribute it more to my habit than the car, but it is a weird little foible for such a big car.

Originally Posted by 80sRule
The Vanden Plas SC is neat and all but doesn't address what I consider a huge issue, headroom. I'm not that tall at just under 5'10", but my dad is 6'2" and mostly in his torso. His hair is constantly in contact with the roof and it's annoying for him.
FWIW, I'm 6'3" with a long torso, so headroom is a big problem for me in a lot of cars. It's okay in my '99 VDP SC, but I do have to keep the seat all the way down. Any tighter might be a problem, but it's okay for me as it is. I know the VDP SC has a bit more headroom in the back, but I'm not sure if there's extra for the front seat, too.

Originally Posted by j4m
--> Insert: Is there a XJ-8 Vanden Plas Super V8 with sports suspension? (basically a longer wheel base XJR?) I've seen some XJ-8 VP with lower profile tires and Jag rims (like on the XJR) and ones with the more traditional higher profile sedan tires and Jag rims.
In terms of the x308 the VDP SC was called the Vanden Plas Supercharged from 1998-2002, then the name changed to "Super V8" in 2003 to match the name of the Daimler model they sold in Britain. My '99 VDP SC has 17" wheels, so it's really between the 16" wheels of the regular Vanden Plas and the 18" wheels of the XJR. I believe the rest of the suspension is essentially the same, a bit of a hybrid between the standard VDP and the XJR. Mine does have the CATS shocks with a sport setting. I've never driven an XJR -- I'd guess it's a bit sportier on the curves -- but the VDP SC handles nicely on curves and hills. (It's not going to corner like a 'Vette or my MGB, of course, but the cornering feels plenty sharp enough to me, especially for a giant luxury cruiser.)

The drivetrain is the same as the XJR and I believe the shift settings for "Sport" and all of the gearing is the same. The VDP SC only weighs about a hundred pounds more than the XJR so the acceleration is pretty much identical.

The upside? We took my nephews for a long road trip in it last summer. At 6'2" and 6'4" they both have pretty long legs, but the legroom in the back seat was never a problem. (Plus, you get silly little wooden tea tables in the back seat, so you have a place for your bottle of Grey Poupon. They're ridiculous, but I love them.)

There is, alas, one problem with deciding to hold out for a Vanden Plas Supercharged. Here are the production totals from 1998 to 2002:

1998 - 36
1999 - 165
2000 - 208
2001 - 234
2002 - 145

There aren't a ton of them out there. I got extremely lucky to have a nice one in my favorite color pop up near me last summer, and I jumped on it. In general they don't seem to cost much more than a comparable XJR, so if you do come across one and want the extra room (or fun little fold-out tray tables) it makes a pretty good option.

Here's a pretty good thread with some comparisons from a few years ago: Supercharged Vanden Plas vs. XJR.

Last edited by Patioboater; 03-13-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added the link.
The following users liked this post:
rocklandjag (03-15-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 08:23 PM
j4m

Thanks everyone you've been really helpful ...

Thanks for giving me the cold-hard facts about repairs. Just so you'll all know, I've had experience spending money to keep my cars in top shape, and also restoring cars. I've replaced or had replaced all suspension components, steering, you name it on cars that I want to keep. I have no problem puttiing money into a car that I really like and want to keep for many, many years. A Jaguar is worth restoring, or keeping nice. I actually enjoy it and look forward to it.

An '03 Jag VDP isn't really THAT different that other cars. Maybe the engine with it's uniqueness, but if you've done a few suspensions and transmission, steering restorations, the parts aren't that much different. I mean a tie-rod end is a tie-rod end. I looked up some parts and they aren't that much more expensive than Corvette parts for example. I'm not scared of a the challenge.

The only thing that would be depressing if the engine and or transmission turned out to be toast after purchase. But if those are solid, than upkeep are just part up the deal.

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 PM

You can buy a waterpump for these cars for $40 or even less if you know where to look. Im still scared my engine or trans could just totally go on me, but Im working on maintenance to prevent it. IT isnt a Lexus, but the fact is the same people that would never dare take on a timing belt and waterpump on a Lexus will be as averse to working on a Jag, but more so because theyre "supposed to be terrible". Thing is theyre not, theyre just cars

Quick Reply: Considering Purchase of XJR - Advice please