XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Control arm options...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Control arm options...

Option 1) -- Order good quality (Lemforder etc.) replacement ball joints and bushings and press them into the existing control arms.

Option 2) -- Order MTC brand control arm assemblies with bushings and ball joints already installed.

Cost for either option is comparable, but obviously the labor is less for option number 2, but if the quality of the MTC unit is that bad, I am willing to endure option 1.

Alternate option number 3) -- Save my money for a couple of months, maybe more, and order the actual Jaguar replacement control arms. This is the MUCH more expensive option and carries the same amount of labor as option number 2 above..

Any words of wisdom?

(for the 2003 XJR)

Old 05-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Ball joints aren't that hard to replace, plus I have a machine shop that will do mine after I pull the arms out and it only takes them an hour or so of labor. I'd do option 1.

The following users liked this post:
harvest14 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default MTC?

Mr 14,
I too will be replacing all 4 ball joints due to cracked boots.
The joints are reasonable enough but the sawing and pressing and running to a machine shop during the week is a bit of a consideration for me.
Who is the source for MTC wishbones with joints?
Thanks.
Doug

Old 05-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I found for the lower portion with the ball joints. This listing is for both sides!

Jaguar Vanden XJ8 XJR Front Lower Control Arm Ball Joint JLM21302 JLM21303 | eBay

Old 05-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Once you buy a press and have the tools, you save so much money on so many different jobs that it pays for itself fairly quickly. Plus, I'm a night owl and can do my work in the middle of the night.

I have access to nice presses at work and at my dad's work; but honestly I just bought the harbor freight 20 ton press: 20 Ton Shop Press - Hydraulic Shop Presses on Sale

It has worked great for my supercharger rebuild on my XJR; i got the pulley off, the snout shaft out of the snout, the coupler piece on the snout shaft removed and new bearings installed in snout, and removed and installed new rear rotor bearings (the needle packs). It's on sale pretty often for $150 too. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but for home purposes and it's price it is definitely a decent shop item to have. What I did on my XJR just last night would have cost WAY more in labor than the $150 I paid for the press and I did the work in about an hour and a half. I used SKF and INA bearings too, so no junk.

If I were the OP, I'd put better parts in the existing arms rather than possibly spend more for less quality on a pre-assembled component. I've already got the parts in hand and am beginning to do so on my XJR when I'm done wrapping up the supercharger rebuild this weekend. I've bought the quick swap parts and sometimes been let down with longevity of the part, I've never had that with good parts doing the legwork of removal and pressing.

To OP: How are you planning to get the spring compressed? Are you making the threaded rod tool or getting the official Jaguar one?

Last edited by 80sRule; 05-06-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi 80sRule,

I have one of those harbor freight shop presses, either 12 or 20 ton I can't remember. I bought it a year or two ago and yes, it's a great item to have around. My concern was some people were talking about sawing and cutting etc. to get things out and it sounded a little unpleasant. If everything can simply but pushed out and pushed back in, then I would be less hesitant about the job.

With regard to compressing the spring, I was considering ordering the item linked below. I have not confirmed yet that it will work, but it sure seems to be the right tool.

Macpherson Interchangable Fork Strut Coil Spring Compressor Extractor Tool Set | eBay

Old 05-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harvest14
Hi 80sRule,

I have one of those harbor freight shop presses, either 12 or 20 ton I can't remember. I bought it a year or two ago and yes, it's a great item to have around. My concern was some people were talking about sawing and cutting etc. to get things out and it sounded a little unpleasant. If everything can simply but pushed out and pushed back in, then I would be less hesitant about the job.

With regard to compressing the spring, I was considering ordering the item linked below. I have not confirmed yet that it will work, but it sure seems to be the right tool.

Macpherson Interchangable Fork Strut Coil Spring Compressor Extractor Tool Set | eBay
There is a lot of info out there about spring compression on these cars and from it, I don't think that will work. I think other members can chime in.

Here is a pic of the Jaguar tool in action:

http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jagu...91189ac9cb.png

See this thread for info about buying the Jaguar tool, or making your own (the route I'm going):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pressor-37685/

Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Upon discovering this morning that my secondary fuel pump is not operating my attention, and budget, have been temporarily diverted from suspension issues. The car rides nicely now anyway, I just wanted to stay ahead of the game and also insure I was getting the best ride possible.

The fuel pump issue is creating great frustration for me, as I can't find the part I want at the price I want. There is too much information and too many options. And I do NOT want to be splicing wires.

I am considering ordering the Original Jaguar pumps and strainers just to be DONE with it, BUT even at the most discounted source I can find that's over $500.00

Yes, I am very frustrated right now. haha.

Last edited by harvest14; 05-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

On the upper balljoints you have to cut out two segments on the top of the the balljoint assembly, to allow you to put it in the press. This is described in the JTIS manual.

I did the lower joints in-situ with a special tool, to avoid mucking about with spring compressors.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Upon discovering this morning that my secondary fuel pump is not operating my attention, and budget, have been temporarily diverted from suspension issues. The car rides nicely now anyway, I just wanted to stay ahead of the game and also insure I was getting the best ride possible.

The fuel pump issue is creating great frustration for me, as I can't find the part I want at the price I want. There is too much information and too many options. And I do NOT want to be splicing wires.

I am considering ordering the Original Jaguar pumps and strainers just to be DONE with it, BUT even at the most discounted source I can find that's over $500.00

Your XJR has the same 2 pump setup my XKR has. I bought 2 airtex pumps, 2 strainers, the factory jaguar in tank leads and all was under 300$. The airtex pumps have worked great the last 4 years.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default just realized...

I continue to be amazed at how things interfere, by accident or design, on my XJR. I was temped to follow Mr 14's lead and get the arm with the ball joint figuring worst comes to worst I could always by the joints and do them at my leisure and have a spare set ready to go in when needed. Looking at the part in the car tonight I realized why they have you take out the steering rack in the shop manual. It's in the way of the bolt for the lower wishbone! I'm still not sure I won't follow this plan I just hate to disturb everything on the front end to get this part out. Perhaps the rack can be loosened and pulled away for enough clearance to get the bolt out of the pivot.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Curious what symptoms or other indicators did you have that the secondary fuel pump wasn't working? I've often wondered how one would know since they engage only at higher RPM.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

80sRule, did the Airtex pumps have the proper connectors? What year is your XKR, because the fuel pump part numbers changed during production. Mine calls for a C2N3866, which is the part number that superseded JLM20756. I'm sure since it was four years ago you don't have a link to what you bought.

Al, the acceleration feels like it flattens out as I get faster but since I don't know what an XJR is supposed to drive like I wasn't sure how to interpret that. Perhaps with the secondary fuel pump I'll notice a more brisk acceleration? I don't know. It's fast now so I'm really not complaining. The primary reason I suspected the secondary pump was not working is because of the longer cold start. When I turn the ignition I don't hear a fuel pump whir like I do in my other cars. It seemed suspicious.

Mark and dwgates, I will be turning my attention back to the front suspension hopefully in a few weeks. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by harvest14; 05-06-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 1,320 Posts

You can build your own spring compressor for about $20, give or take. If your just take off the arms to replace the joints you just need to hold the spring in place and compress it a little.
Here's an idea of what I explained in another thread...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...prings-161228/

Last edited by Highhorse; 05-07-2016 at 06:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
harvest14 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

80sRule, did the Airtex pumps have the proper connectors? What year is your XKR, because the fuel pump part numbers changed during production. Mine calls for a C2N3866, which is the part number that superseded JLM20756. I'm sure since it was four years ago you don't have a link to what you bought.

Al, the acceleration feels like it flattens out as I get faster but since I don't know what an XJR is supposed to drive like I wasn't sure how to interpret that. Perhaps with the secondary fuel pump I'll notice a more brisk acceleration? I don't know. It's fast now so I'm really not complaining. The primary reason I suspected the secondary pump was not working is because of the longer cold start. When I turn the ignition I don't hear a fuel pump whir like I do in my other cars. It seemed suspicious.

Mark and dwgates, I will be turning my attention back to the front suspension hopefully in a few weeks. Thanks for the feedback.
If you want, you can test the pumps, this is for an XJR, but consult the XJR manual for relay locations to replicate the same procedure:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...el-pump-85882/

As far as replacement: I saved the receipts and I used the airtex cross for C2N3866. I still have the original pumps in a bag too (I save used parts from major jobs to prove so on resale, I have the secondary tensioners saved too) and confirm the connectors look like the pictures people have of the E-2471.

Airtex E-2471:
More Information for AIRTEX E2471.

Airtex FS175 Filter:
More Information for AIRTEX FS175

Rockauto lists this pump still for both the 00 XKR and the 03 XJR. You just need x2 of each part. You don't need or use a lot of the crap that comes with the new pump, it just comes since it is used in a lot of different vehicles.

Here's a thread of a member who needed C2N3866 and used the exact airtex product:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...earned-114315/

There is no aftermarket I can find for the in tank fuel pump leads; but I bought the factory ones from Jaguar and they worked great. My problem was one pump and one lead were bad(one bad on each of the two circuits). My car had been running on one for a while (I found the issue not 4 but 5 years ago according to the file, and about 2 months into ownership). Definitely replace the link leads. I noticed the link leads I removed, one had a blue end connector, one had a white one. The new part only has white, and the blue one was mirrored, so the white wouldn't work. So I removed the blue plastic and replaced the white on one lead and it was all good.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

The cheapest price I can find on the link leads is $112 each, and I will need 2 of them. So, with shipping I'm up to $250 on the link leads alone. Both Airtex pumps and strainers on Rockauto come to about $127, also with shipping included.

That brings my parts total in around $377. I'm going to do a little more research, but if I don't find a better plan by the time I have to leave for work, I may just go ahead and place the orders.

I would really like to find a Denso pump that claims to fit my car.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

The cheapest price I can find on the link leads is $112 each, and I will need 2 of them. So, with shipping I'm up to $250 on the link leads alone. Both Airtex pumps and strainers on Rockauto come to about $127, also with shipping included.

That brings my parts total in around $377. I'm going to do a little more research, but if I don't find a better plan by the time I have to leave for work, I may just go ahead and place the orders.

I would really like to find a Denso pump that claims to fit my car.
What's your link lead part number?

Old 05-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

LNC3360CA

If my research is correct...

Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

In some cases the pumps must start to pull too many amps as they die -- overheating the OE wires. In my case the pumps simple failed -- the connections did not need to be replaced.

My car is a low mile garage queen that will most likely be with me for a long time -- so I purchased both pumps/ filters from an online dealer. My local guy switched them out -- it's an expensive repair.

I had a post on it a few months ago and one of the techs commented on the non- OE pump he uses. My local guy lets me purchase the parts -- I was not going to have him get it all apart and not have the correct stuff to put it back together. My local dealer had the harness if that proved to also be needed ... at $250.00 for both i was not going to purchase unless needed.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

80sRule, do you know of a better source for the link leads? I've already ordered the pumps and strainers but can't seem to make myself order two wires for $250! It's counter-intuitive to pay someone that much money for a couple of connectors. If I must I must, and will... but if you know of another way, that would be great.

I may go with Yeldogt's thinking and take everything apart first. If the leads look good then maybe they are fine to use again. If not, I can drive my E30 for a week while I wait for the new ones to arrive. It's not my style to re-use parts, especially when they are hard to get to. But, once again....$250 for some short wires. Someone help me get the proper perspective, please. lol

Quick Reply: Control arm options...