XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Are Coolant Additives Necessary and/or Beneficial?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Are Coolant Additives Necessary and/or Beneficial?

Hello Gentlemen:

Are additives to the radiator/cooling system during/after a flush worthwhile?

One mechanic says they add BG Universal Cooling System Cleaner during the flush... and then BG Universal Super Cool to the final mix.

And... does anyone know if the coolant transfusion systems use distilled water in their antifreeze mix?

Thanks,

SirJag

Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

A flush may be good but these wetting agents are probably unnecessary. The antifreeze itself probably acts as a wetting agent. I use tap water with no obvious ill effects.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (04-27-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

You don't need any additives -- the system works as designed -- don't mess it up.

Also -- a properly maintained system should not require any flushing. If for some reason it does you want to go with as little as possible.

Why do you want to flush??

I can't remember the last time I had to do a flush ............ 25 years and 50 cars ago. Maybe one of the technicians will chime in as to an approved flushing agent... if you really need it.

And please .....use distilled water. IMO its better to do nothing then to do it incorrectly --- then you will need a flush.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt

Why do you want to flush??
Because the bonehead, er, sorry, Previous Owner, had Jiffy Lube fill with the green slop.

Yep... will def use distilled water.

Thanks,

SirJag

Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I see that you are changing many of the hoses and other associated items -- while you are doing this you will be able to see the condition inside many parts of the system. This will tell you if you need to do any type of chemical flush.

Just because a different fluid was used does not necessary indicate that you have a problem. It could have been properly done - and the coolant adequate. They may have use distilled water. Stranger things can happen.

If the system looks OK inside -- I would fill it with distilled water and drive it around for a day and drain it out. Check the water when it comes out and decide if it needs to be done again. Fill it up with the correct amount of concentrated coolant (since you have water trapped in the system) and top off with distilled water.

Most tap water is filled with minerals -- it does the same thing to your cooling system as it does to a water heater. You get a buildup of the minerals. I will leave it at that without going into the boring details. Also, the OE coolant is chosen based on the makeup of the metal parts of the cooling system -- lots of dissimilar metals.

The problems take a long time to show up -- many years. Putting tap water in the system -- using the incorrect fluids -- or simple allowing the proper coolant to remain in the system past the point that it is able to perform will all have an effect over time.

That's why following the maintenance schedule with a simple refresh using the OE Jaguar fluid and distilled water is so easy -- no guessing - no worries ...... Simple. Less than $50 bucks!