XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coolant Crossover disintergrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Coolant Crossover disintergrated

OK, beat me now. I should have done this 2 months ago when I was doing the full timing chain swap, but both the crossover and thermostat housing, appeared solid. I'm wondering if allowing them to sit dry for any period causes a breakdown in the plastic, but that's another thread. Today the wife informed me the car was smoking. A quick inspection pointed to the top radiator hose connection to the crossover. I grabbed a new clamp and quicly realized the nipple was mush, I'm assuming this is the same failure experienced with the thermostat housing so I'm getting ready to order both. I had no problem finding an assortment of all metal upgrades for the thermostat housing but all I'm seeing for the crossover appear to be the same OEM plastic components. Anybody know if there's a metal crossover option,and who has it?

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I searched for a metal distribution pipe to no avail. My pipe was also pretty brittle and weak when I replaced it. But the new plastic pipe was a big improvement and came with a fresh temp sensor.

I'll keep watch for a metal alternative and plan to replace again in a couple of years regardless.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaginblack
I searched for a metal distribution pipe to no avail. My pipe was also pretty brittle and weak when I replaced it. But the new plastic pipe was a big improvement and came with a fresh temp sensor.

I'll keep watch for a metal alternative and plan to replace again in a couple of years regardless.
I found nothing but the OEM plastic. I picked up all my timing parts from Christopher's and he really did me right so I ended up going back to him for the thermostat housing and the crossover. I picked up a thermostat and water pump from him with my timing components, and I needed to replace one of the overflow tubes. I threw in new plugs while I had the valve covers out so by the time I get these new parts installed she ought to be better than she was off the factory floor short of mileage.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a clean machine - one thing is for sure, you have taken the relationship to a whole new level!