XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coolant leaking everywhere! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Coolant leaking everywhere! Help!!

Ok so my car has been very slowly leaking coolant for the past 2 years. I would occasionally smell coolant from under the hood. I would have to top it off every 2 months or so (I only drive about 6k miles a year). I think my thermostat has failed in the open postion at least 3 years ago bc the car would take a long time to warm up and the coolant temperature gauge would read below normal on the highway on cold days, with the heat starting to blow cold air, but it will return to normal and the heat will warm up when I stop.

For the past week or so, I have been smelling a burning rubber smell. I saw a quick bit of steam for only a second from under the hood about 2 weeks ago when the temperature went down to about 3 degrees (the coldest temp my car has ever seen.) I popped the hood and saw a small amount of coolant sitting on the thermostat cap (I have never seen this happen before).

Today I drove for about 15 mins, and when I came back home, I left the car running for about 5 mins while I walked around it to find the burning smell. Right when I turned off the car, I hear a pop and see and hear coolant running everywhere on the ground. The car never overheated.

It looks like coolant came from somewhere around the thermostat but I cant see where.

I will have to get the car towed to the mechanic. Is this the thermostat, water pump, thermostat housing or something else? How much might this repair cost? Since I will need to have my car towed to the mechanic, I dont want to be clueless as to how much $ it might cost. I don't want to be ripped off.

Last edited by burmaz; 02-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I don't really mean to be publicly critical of you car maintenance philosophy but why wait a couple years to get known problem fixed?

Look under the hood. You might have blown a hose off the thermostat or water pump. If so, you might try reattaching it, adding water and see what happens. Might save you a tow but you need to get the get this fixed. These cars are sensitive to overheating and one time can ruin an engine.

Any professional shop is probably going to recommend new hoses, new water pump, new thermostat, new thermostat housing minimum. Pushing a thousand at the dealer.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by test point
I don't really mean to be publicly critical of you car maintenance philosophy but why wait a couple years to get known problem fixed?

Look under the hood. You might have blown a hose off the thermostat or water pump. If so, you might try reattaching it, adding water and see what happens. Might save you a tow but you need to get the get this fixed. These cars are sensitive to overheating and one time can ruin an engine.

Any professional shop is probably going to recommend new hoses, new water pump, new thermostat, new thermostat housing minimum. Pushing a thousand at the dealer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My car was fine with just a slow coolant leak for probably 4 years. Unlike many people on this forum, I can't repair the car myself for a long list of reasons, so I am dependent on a mechanic. I am also young, so I don't have unlimited $.

What do you estimate a mechanic would charge? I'm never going to the Dealership.

Last edited by H20boy; 02-12-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: "spelling' error
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

burmaz: I'm with test point on this one. Probably a hose. Or it could be the thermostat housing (plastic). They are known to fail at some point due to old age. There are aftermarket aluminum ones out there. Welsh Enterprises has a kit for $70 (I think), the hose shouldn't be too much. If you can find an independant mechanic that will put on your parts, I'd purchase these two items and let yor mechanc install. Of course it could be the water pump..... Also, the back bolt on the thermostat can be tricky to get to. Your mechanic may charge up to 8 hrs for this job, although 4 hrs sounds more reasonable. I would think an indy mechanic might charge $50-$75 an hour, still half of what Jaguar will charge. But in theory, the Jaguar mechanic should be able to get it done faster. Bottom line wild guess $500 at dealer.....? I'm sure other Guys will chime in.

Last edited by Rae; 02-12-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Unlike testpoint who does not like to be critical, (then is critical), I don't mind being critical right off the bat. You say you have low money because you are young, but you defer a problem until it costs you a flatbed ride. Then you come here and ask how much to fix something without bothering to find out what is leaking. If you are fit enough to drive a car, you can certainly figure out where it is leaking. You will continue to have low money even when you are not young if you don't get off your butt and figure out how to do something for yourself. And yes, I am an AH. Just my $.02. I am sure others will offer their help to you.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

I'm old . . . and have limited resources. I would never own a Jaguar if I could not repair it myself . . . and enjoy it.

I was trying to not be VERY critical.

Last edited by test point; 02-12-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Unlike testpoint who does not like to be critical, (then is critical), I don't mind being critical right off the bat. You say you have low money because you are young, but you defer a problem until it costs you a flatbed ride. Then you come here and ask how much to fix something without bothering to find out what is leaking. If you are fit enough to drive a car, you can certainly figure out where it is leaking. You will continue to have low money even when you are not young if you don't get off your butt and figure out how to do something for yourself. And yes, I am an AH. Just my $.02. I am sure others will offer their help to you.

Thank you sparkenzap. Your comment has fixed my car.

Lets calm down dude and stop making personal attacks. Having a bad day today? Why did you even comment on this thread?

Uhh so although I asked a question, I am now forced to be in a defensive role due to these random attacks.

First of all, this just happened about 30 mins before I posted the question. Second of all, I park in a garage and I dont have access to hardly any tools at all because I am in GRADUATE SCHOOL. (Before you even try to ask how I have time to post on this forum, I'm using my phone).Third of all I don't have the time to spend hours and hours and hours tinkering with my car in 20 degree weather that you probably do.

It interesting that you didn't think about school and living expenses costing about $55k a year. Low time, low $ means I can't always keep this 11 yr old car in perfect shape all the time.

Why have I had this car for 7 yrs? Because I FIGURED out how to be in the top 1 percentile in standardized tests in the country ever since I was a young kid, and the scholarship I got for undergrad paid for this car. So yes I have figured out something in my life, and no I won't be poor as a result.

Enough of this 'wisdom' you claim to have. Are you really trying to talk down to some one who had one of the highest SAT scores in the country and accuse me as lazy? (Well THE highest score, B/C you cant get better than perfect!). Do you really want to go that route?

I don't like to brag, but I kinda had to here to set the record straight.

Anyway rant off, can anyone else help me out about my car problem?

Last edited by burmaz; 02-12-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I am impressed. Why not lift the hood and see where the water is coming from? then figure out whether you can fix it in situ. The flatbed ride will cost more than the repair, most likely.

BTW. There are many of us who had great SAT scores and never amounted to anything because of lack of initiative. See who gives a hoot about your SAT score once you have graduated.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

OK, this is going to be difficult, especially since we have determined how much smarter you are than the rest of us. However, I'm going to try to help you anyway. Now, the first thing you need to do is at least open the hood and see if you can determine where the fluid is coming from. It is likely a hose of some sort. Not gauranteed, but, probably.
If that is the case and it is easy to get to, you can buy the hose, the tools and probably have the job compete in 15-20 minutes. The whole thing costing you less money and time than a tow to the mechanic.
Next scenario, you don't want to get your hands dirty. OK, still need to take a look under the hood, try to determine where the leak is coming from. Then at least you will have an idea of what need to be replaced. Talk to your mechanic, tell him what you observed, ask for a quote. Maybe even do this before you have it towed to his shop. At least you will have a feel for how much it might cost.
Next case scenario, you can't be bothered to open the hood and look. Then just have it towed to mechanic and pay whatever he charges you.
And one last alternative. Maybe you should be driving a Honda.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
I am impressed. Why not lift the hood and see where the water is coming from? then figure out whether you can fix it in situ. The flatbed ride will cost more than the repair, most likely.

BTW. There are many of us who had great SAT scores and never amounted to anything because of lack of initiative. See who gives a hoot about your SAT score once you have graduated.
I have AAA, the tow ride is free.

I have graduated from college. I'm in graduate school. Someone gave a 'hoot' about my grades. What have you done in life that is SO impressive and required SO much initiative? What do you do for a living that has amounted to SO much pay off that allows you to keep talking?

I'm currently working part time at an advertising company and make between $75-$125/hr depending on the task. That job requires a lot of skill. BUT $55k for grad school a year is killing this part time salary.

I have "looked under my hood". Did you even read my original post? Or did you just come here to troll?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Friarshuck
OK, this is going to be difficult, especially since we have determined how much smarter you are than the rest of us. However, I'm going to try to help you anyway. Now, the first thing you need to do is at least open the hood and see if you can determine where the fluid is coming from. It is likely a hose of some sort. Not gauranteed, but, probably.
If that is the case and it is easy to get to, you can buy the hose, the tools and probably have the job compete in 15-20 minutes. The whole thing costing you less money and time than a tow to the mechanic.
Next scenario, you don't want to get your hands dirty. OK, still need to take a look under the hood, try to determine where the leak is coming from. Then at least you will have an idea of what need to be replaced. Talk to your mechanic, tell him what you observed, ask for a quote. Maybe even do this before you have it towed to his shop. At least you will have a feel for how much it might cost.
Next case scenario, you can't be bothered to open the hood and look. Then just have it towed to mechanic and pay whatever he charges you.
And one last alternative. Maybe you should be driving a Honda.

I HAVE looked under my hood. C'mon! I cant see the leak from the top of the engine. I changed my secondary tensioners and valve cover gaskets a few years ago. I'm not a total newbie. My current situation just doesn't allow me to work on my car.

Last edited by burmaz; 02-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

You can if it is the top hose off the thermostat or the pump as they are the most common points that hoses blow off. And that is a common failure.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 PM

I used to work on my car a lot a few years ago. I have since suffered a serious injury in which I spent 4 months in the hospital for, 6 weeks of which in the Intensive Care Unit. I really don't want to go into detail about that tramatic experience with a bunch a people on the internet that I don't know. This in addition to grad school keeps me from working on this car like I used to.

Give me a break! All of this criticism is truly redic.

Last edited by burmaz; 02-12-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

I think I have.

The following users liked this post:
burmaz (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by test point
You can if it is the top hose off the thermostat or the pump as they are the most common points that hoses blow off. And that is a common failure.
Is the burning rubber smell common too? Have people had luck just replacing the hose or does it often just blow off again?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

I have had a hose blow off and it has been reported a number of times. Most likely because of spring clamp and old hose aggravated by a thermostat problem. Never experienced 'burning rubber'.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Ok, let me give a couple pieces of advice, first, no need to get defensive to the point of turning up the gas on this heated debate, the members here, like me, are very surprised that you would have let a leak continue for so long when you could have had it fixed a long time ago for very little cost...coolant leaks are one of the most inexpensive ones to address, believe me, after having power steering and oil leaks...the coolants were the cheapest to swallow. Now, I would have recommended a 'you're right, i shouldn't have let it go so long' reply, the 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it' comment wasn't exactly the correct statement now was it...it was broke...and you should have humbly admitted to not realizing it could be so catastrophic...immobilizing your car. We see dozens of new members get a 10-15 year old jaguar, and have no means of keeping up the maintenance themselves...and no small savings account for minor emergencies. Respectfully, it's better to be humble asking for advice here than toting any type of superiority position.

Ok, now that is out of the way, and we are all on the same page again...everyone responding in a thoughtful, respectful manner (as testpoint always does) I have another idea about your issue.

If the thermostat/coolant leak (could be cracked thermostat, could be hose connection leak) that coolant could have managed to soak the drive belt and as those things need tension and friction to drive all those pulleys, the burning rubber could have very well been the belt spinning off a pulley. Worse case, the coolant could have gotten into any number of the pulleys, frying the bearings and seizing it up...if that was the smell, you're gonna be hurting in the wallet...water pump, power steering pump, A/C...your best scenario, if seized pulley...is the tensioner or idler pulley. Those are relatively cheap.

Keep us updated, if you get a chance to really take a look at the front of the engine, look for the belt and if those pulleys are still moving.

Check the expansion tank, see if its empty...how much coolant is everywhere?

burmaz (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Ok, let me give a couple pieces of advice, first, no need to get defensive to the point of turning up the gas on this heated debate, the members here, like me, are very surprised that you would have let a leak continue for so long when you could have had it fixed a long time ago for very little cost...coolant leaks are one of the most inexpensive ones to address, believe me, after having power steering and oil leaks...the coolants were the cheapest to swallow. Now, I would have recommended a 'you're right, i shouldn't have let it go so long' reply, the 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it' comment wasn't exactly the correct statement now was it...it was broke...and you should have humbly admitted to not realizing it could be so catastrophic...immobilizing your car. We see dozens of new members get a 10-15 year old jaguar, and have no means of keeping up the maintenance themselves...and no small savings account for minor emergencies. Respectfully, it's better to be humble asking for advice here than toting any type of superiority position.

Ok, now that is out of the way, and we are all on the same page again...everyone responding in a thoughtful, respectful manner (as testpoint always does) I have another idea about your issue.

If the thermostat/coolant leak (could be cracked thermostat, could be hose connection leak) that coolant could have managed to soak the drive belt and as those things need tension and friction to drive all those pulleys, the burning rubber could have very well been the belt spinning off a pulley. Worse case, the coolant could have gotten into any number of the pulleys, frying the bearings and seizing it up...if that was the smell, you're gonna be hurting in the wallet...water pump, power steering pump, A/C...your best scenario, if seized pulley...is the tensioner or idler pulley. Those are relatively cheap.

Keep us updated, if you get a chance to really take a look at the front of the engine, look for the belt and if those pulleys are still moving.

Check the expansion tank, see if its empty...how much coolant is everywhere?

I had a friend help me look at the car. The hose that connects to the front of the thermostat housing is what broke off. I see finally see how cheap the plastic part is that everyone on the forum talks about. Another hose that connects to the thermostat housing on the top looks fat and swollen. The top of the thermostat housing (thermostat cap?) looks a bit wet.

We started the car for about 5 seconds (didn't want to risk overheating it) and everything, including the water pump pulley seemed to be spinning fine. I'm thinking the burning smell was possibly coming from the rubber hose pressing against the water pump pulley until it broke?

Coolant is all over the ground and no coolant came out of the hose that broke off during the short time we started it.

So it looks like a thermostat housing replacement. Does the water pump usually get replaced when the housing breaks? My car was built May 2000, if that is relevent for the the water pump impeller material and its risk for failure.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

a waterpump, hose and clip, thermostat and thermostat tower runs at about £120 here in the UK. I'd change the lot, top off with new coolant and be done. To a good fitter it's a mornings work.
Thank your stars you don't run an XJR, the pipework for the coolant is much more complicated!

burmaz (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Given your situation, I'll risk the ire of some members here and recommend you just change the housing, even use a plastic one if it's cheaper, and put a new thermostat in.
Preventative maintenance is a great idea, but why change a water pump that's working?
Similarly, don't change the hose unless they are aged and cracked.

If you're up against budget considerations, go that route. I changed my thermostat for under $40.

Good luck.
When you're out of grad school and working full time, then you afford to shotgun things and replace all the bits.

burmaz (02-13-2011)

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking everywhere! Help!!