XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coolant Out Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Out Pipe

I searched but found stuff on the Coolant alone and had a question.

A little about the Car

03 Jaguar XJR Vanderplus

Bought it and right away back had a small dent, Exhaust is offset, Right side is up and in, Left side is down and out, Had a small oil leak I notified my mother when she brought it and notified the dealership (not sure if they actually did anything)

After a month of having it she took it to Pep Boys for maintnence and paid 1000, in work. I am not sure what they did but it basically ran the same from my understanding. I have a mechanic who works on my wife's Volkswagon and he works on jags so last ditch effort will be to take it there.

How I got to my current problem (Sorry long)
The passenger side outer headlight glass broke so I ordered a complete broken assembly off Ebay (49 bucks, Free ship, THANK YOU CAR GODS!!)
came in friday and replaced it, Other then that, have had absolutely no problems with the car whatsoever.

Went for a celebratory hamburger and leaving the drive through the car started to overheat and pulled into a walgreens popped the hood and smoked out the parking lot. (surprised cops didnt show up)

Managed to get it home and originally thought it was the outer pipe got it repaired (put back on) Drove it under 50 and everything was fine, Brought it up to 60 and the pipe came off. My uncles a mechanic and said that the pipe was short. When the engine shifts it tilts a bit, So figure its pulling off the pipe.

Want to know if I should get a new "Coolant out pipe" or just the hose. I dont want to buy parts I wont need/use because then it will just sit like a Buell Blast clutch cable Ive had in my closet for the last 4 years o.0

Would like to get this car back up and running for my mother especially since I was able to replace the glass and it has lights finally. lol

Thank you for reading and response
Spade115

Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Sorry One Thing I forgot to add (And I CANNOT find the Edit button o.0)

Is yesterday we were changing the clamps, In the Collant Out pipe, my uncle pulled out what looked like caked in dirt or something from inside the pipe. It was like mud where it was a peice of something then it powdered off or something, My uncle said it needs to be fully replaced Figured it was bad coolant or previous owners never put coolant and powdered up in place.

Found the out pipe for 80 at my local Pharr Tx, Dealership just wanted to make sure I didnt need just that or could do with just a new hose.

Thank you again for reading.
Spade

Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM

Well I went outside used a 5/8 Bit head I think and a wrench, Flathead screwdriver to swap out the part. This is the part that needed to be replaced

4 bolts, (Wasnt too hard to remove) had to remove the bad pressure clamp things and swapped them out for those nicer ones from an auto store that use 5/8 bolts as well. so one tool to do the work. Wasnt as hard as I thought it was. the one part that worried me was in the center that connected to it w/two wires. I figured I would have to pry it off or unscrew it, It just slipped off and slipped onto the new part. o.0

took me about an hour or two but mostly because I kept going to my toolbox in my truck then decided to go get my portable speakers and ipod to listen to music and I eventually started working slower to listen to music and work lol.

Had fun none the less, Small drive up and down the street last night, Checked fittings, Will retighten after work today, drive it a farther distance and retighten when I get home to verify. Everything seems ok.

Useing old Hose because new one I received was the wrong one.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Out Pipe-ef9ba984-97f9-4b0e-9ff5-6efa8e37b155.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Sounds like good news on the work. It's nice to hear from someone who can have a little fun working on their car. I don't have an XJR, so my setup is a little different, but it sounds like you do have one of the best X308s - 03 XJR Vanden Plas. I don't know if I would let my mother drive it if I had one ! Oh yeah, the previous owner may have mixed coolants by mistake which can cause coagulation, or may have put some kind of stop leak in the cooling system. I would make sure it's flushed out good. These cars do not tolerate overheating very well.

Last edited by JimmyL; 05-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

its my mothers car, lol I usually am on my motorcycle but we work in the same office building (School District) and she wont sit on the back of my motorcycle lol.

Its the Vanderplus, Still waiting to go out to an open road I like to cruise on and open it up, Bike tops out at 95, (492 CC, Single) truck tops out at about 98 (5.4 Liter 331 CI Ford) and wondering what this will do. lol

It had absolutely no steering wheel fluid, it was previously owned by two different car companies that would have drivers so I am wondering why it has so much small damage. I also saw a part last night that looks broken, Plan to take a pic and see if anyone else can confirm for me tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Welsh Enterprises sells a nice Aluminum Thermostat housing on Ebay for about $50.
I replaced a lot of the plastic junk and old hoses on mine. It is WAY cheaper than a new engine. You are very lucky to not have cracked a cylinder head. This engine isn't very forgiving like a small block chevy. Unless it appears NEW replace it. Treat low coolant
like being out of oil.