XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cooling hoses under supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Cooling hoses under supercharger

I'm replacing the water pump, radiator, some cooling hoses that look old, a noisy idler pulley, and the belts. I have it all torn apart. There appear to be two hoses running back from the water pump, underneath the supercharger. Neither is very large but one is larger than the other. They look old but are not leaking. How would I go about replacing them? It looks like I'd have to remove the supercharger? Should I just leave them alone?? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Change them. But I don't think you can do so without removing the SC. You will find many posts about them leaking. In fact, as long as you have started, change all the hoses.

Too many engines have been destroyed due to a hose failure. The temperature gauge is just a glorified idiot light and will not give sufficient warning if a hose fails.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:13 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

There are many threads on replacing the 2 hoses and on removing the supercharger. I unbolted but did not disconnect the connections to the throttle body. Those hoses and connectors are very brittle.Some recommend also changing the knock sensors when the supercharger is removed

With the supercharger off change the oil consider changing the coupler and/or rebuilding the snout. It is recommended that you cut a slot at the back of the rear bolt on the SC to allow you to thread the bolt before the SC during reassembly. Another hint is to attach some tape to the gasket between the SC and the throttle body elbow so you can hold it into place. If it falls below the SC it is a bear to recover

The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (07-15-2019)
Old 10-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi there,

I just replaced the heater hoses too even though they were still in good condition. But since they went well for 15 years, I wouldn't take any risks.
The part no. are AJ87634 and NNE3946CA and as you can see in the picture I covered them with heat protection.

And yes, you have to remove the supercharger for doing that. As already noted above, I serviced the supercharger and replaced the coupler and the oil. The old coupler was quite worn out and the oil was pitchblack.

I disassembled the whole air intake system (throttle body, EGR-valve, intake elbow, supercharger, air charge coolers, water outlet pipe) and while doing so I replaced all o-rings, seals and gaskets I could get my hands on. Reason for that had been a failed knock sensor on bank A. Therefore I replaced both sensors too.

If your're interested in doing the replacements as well, I can provide a part list with OEM-no and pictures.

Best regards,

Alexander

Attached Thumbnails Cooling hoses under supercharger-heater_hose_supercharger.jpg  
Aarcuda (07-15-2019)
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
Some recommend also changing the knock sensors when the supercharger is removed.
Yes! Definitely change out the knock sensors while you have the SC off.

They do go bad and only cost about $28 each if you buy them right.

On a NA engine it is about a 30 minute job to change them.

The first part the the instructions for changing them on a SC engine say, "remove the supercharger." This makes it a 10 hour job for most of us.

Vector

Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Vector
The first part the the instructions for changing them on a SC engine say, "remove the supercharger." This makes it a 10 hour job for most of us.
Vector, you're dead right - it's quite a big job! It took me about 5-6 hours of disassembling until the supercharger was out. And it was a pain-in-the-*** job to disconnect the small coolant hoses at the throttle body and EGR-valve. So I just cut them and replaced them - they are cheap to get.

Putting all back together was quite same time consuming...above all connecting the intake elbow to the supercharger with the gasket in between AND handling with the two hoses from the bypass-valve to the air charge coolers at the same time.
I found a nice workaround for that (see attached picture):
Use the two long bolts from the supercharger and put them through the two lower holes of the intake elbow. This way, you can fit the gasket between the elbow without loosing it. Screw in the two bolts loosely into the supercharger.
As the bolts are much longer than the genuine bolts, you can slide the elbow back- and forwards. That way you can locate the two hoses between the bypass valve and the stubs of the air charge coolers. Then you slide the throttle elbow forwards, install the two upper bolts connecting the elbow to the supercharger and replace the lower (supercharger) bolts with the genuine bolts. A little bit of jelly and a hot air gun help that the two hoses slide easily between the air chargers and the bypass valve.

After refilling the coolant system, I found out that there was a small leak somewhere close below the supercharger snout. So I had to disassemble and assemble it all over again!
BUT: that took me only 4 hours to get the supercharger out and back in again....thanks to the practice I collected before :-) So cheer up! It's getting easier...

Attached Thumbnails Cooling hoses under supercharger-intake_elbow_assembly.jpg  
RJ237 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xjr2014_de
Hi there,

I just replaced the heater hoses too even though they were still in good condition. But since they went well for 15 years, I wouldn't take any risks.
The part no. are AJ87634 and NNE3946CA and as you can see in the picture I covered them with heat protection.

And yes, you have to remove the supercharger for doing that. As already noted above, I serviced the supercharger and replaced the coupler and the oil. The old coupler was quite worn out and the oil was pitchblack.

I disassembled the whole air intake system (throttle body, EGR-valve, intake elbow, supercharger, air charge coolers, water outlet pipe) and while doing so I replaced all o-rings, seals and gaskets I could get my hands on. Reason for that had been a failed knock sensor on bank A. Therefore I replaced both sensors too.

If your're interested in doing the replacements as well, I can provide a part list with OEM-no and pictures.

Best regards,

Alexander
Wait a second, my coolant lines under the SC didn't have those heat shield sleeves like shown in your picture. Did you add those or are they original equipment? That's strange because I believe I'm the first one to ever pull the motor apart.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM

Hi juiceyou321,

I added the heat sleeves...the cars are not originally equipped with these. They are made of an aramid fabric which is coated with aluminium. They can stand up to 260°C of direct heat...
I'm not sure, if the coolant/heater hoses benefit from the heat protection, but otherwise they do not cause any damage, I gave them a try...

Best regards,

Alexander

Last edited by xjr2014_de; 10-29-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Thank you all for your guidance so far. I did get the supercharger off and am inspecting everything to see what needs to be done. I am struggling to find gaskets online. I did find a throttle body gasket, but I think I should replace all of the gaskets I've taken off. Supercharger outlet gaskets, for example. Also, I broke a tiny plastic vacuum T that I need to replace. There are hoses going from the EGR valve to the throttle body, and one coming off of what I think is a heater hose. Any idea where to locate these parts?

More in depth is what I'm going to call the heater hoses behind the engine. Is it even possible to replace them in a non-expert environment? I'm probably going to leave them because I don't see any way I can get to them.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:32 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The hoses coming from the TB to the egr are pretty standard heater/coolant hoses - you can get a hose cut to fit at most auto parts stores if you take them in and match the inner diameter (one tip I read on the forums that turned out to be true was that the interior diameter of said hoses was the same as a AAA battery). My local parts place just gave me the hose for free since I only needed a foot or so.

Don't know about the others.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aquifer
Thank you all for your guidance so far. I did get the supercharger off and am inspecting everything to see what needs to be done. I am struggling to find gaskets online. I did find a throttle body gasket, but I think I should replace all of the gaskets I've taken off. Supercharger outlet gaskets, for example. Also, I broke a tiny plastic vacuum T that I need to replace. There are hoses going from the EGR valve to the throttle body, and one coming off of what I think is a heater hose. Any idea where to locate these parts?

More in depth is what I'm going to call the heater hoses behind the engine. Is it even possible to replace them in a non-expert environment? I'm probably going to leave them because I don't see any way I can get to them.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Aquifer,
See the attached image. It is a sheet I put together of all the parts I replaced when I pulled my SC. The official part numbers are in there too. Everything in this list was available in the past few weeks by a few reputable online parts store with the exception of the brake booster vacuum pipe.

Check out SNG Barratt's part diagrams in conjunction with this and you should be on your way.

ThatsNoMoon (10-23-2023)
Old 05-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts

I am thinking he probably used many of these parts SEVEN years ago.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I figure if I landed at this page while doing research on what hoses to replace in 2022 then someone else may also land here during their research and hopefully those numbers will be helpful.

87LC2 (08-18-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 05:46 AM
Received 172 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix37
I figure if I landed at this page while doing research on what hoses to replace in 2022 then someone else may also land here during their research and hopefully those numbers will be helpful.
I found it helpful so thank you