XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cooling woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cooling woes

I'm having some cooling issues on my XJR and I'm not sure what's really going on.

This one was a project that had been sitting since last year waiting for me to fix some accident damage, I had robbed the heater pump out of it for my other XJR so I lost coolant and topped up till the expansion tank was full (just under the neck),
Come to drive it last week and the tank was empty, pulled the supercharger plug off and filled slowly till full, while squeezing the hoses incase there was air in the system.

After about 50 miles driving (hard driving) the light comes on, the max the temp goes to is 205c so it doesn't seem to be overheating.
Tested a few times and it always dropped.

The overflow tank is about half full (just below the seam), i pulled the pipe out and put it In a bottle sealed through the cap and emptied the overflow tank, pipe was clear.

Drove it with my make shift overflow bottle and there was only a few drops of coolant in there, at full temp it's not pushing any coolant into the bottle.
Put it back into the propper overflow tank and it's up to just under the seam again.

This is all with a newer cap that was on my other XJR, so I put the old cap back on, went for a 50 mile drive again and come back to the coolant pipe that goes into the supercharger tanks flat, the level in the overflow tank is still the same, just waiting for it to cool down now to check the expansion tank.

I've done an exhaust gas test in the expansion tank that showed none, while revving it too. (Tested the fluid with the exhaust to make sure it is actually working)

No one is open until Tuesday so I'll have to wait to get a pressure test and see if I actually have a leak, I can't see anything.

Temp never goes above 205c

But I'm now confused on what is 'normal' in this system?

Bit long sorry

Old 04-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I'd remove the centre engine cover and get a good look at the octopus hose that sits on the trans bell housing/back of engine block if it's leaking you'll spot some coolant it can gas off on the exhaust so never hits the floor. Also fill just over the joint to test this because a lot of hairline cracks empty coolant around this point of the tank.

A pressure test should locate the leak, there are many points on a R because of the plumbing!

Old 04-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I'd remove the centre engine cover and get a good look at the octopus hose that sits on the trans bell housing/back of engine block if it's leaking you'll spot some coolant it can gas off on the exhaust so never hits the floor. Also fill just over the joint to test this because a lot of hairline cracks empty coolant around this point of the tank.

A pressure test should locate the leak, there are many points on a R because of the plumbing!
Ive got the cover off but can't see anything obvious leaking, I think it'll be best to wait for the pressure test.

Not ruling out the headgasket just yet, although from what I've read on other threads, it's usually puking coolant into the overflow tank and then leaking from there, my overflow seems to get to a point and just stays level there, not sure if there's any back and forward movement between the two tanks, I was expecting to see something when I used a bottle instead.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 AM

Found the leak, under the supercharger

Looks like I'm going to have a fun weekend, is there a how to guide about on removing the supercharger?

Edit - found the thread with the removal procedure, fun weekend ahead

Last edited by owas; 04-26-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If it is under the supercharger then it is either the heater feed or return hose. Replace both while you are in there. You don't want to have to back in for another hose.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
If it is under the supercharger then it is either the heater feed or return hose. Replace both while you are in there. You don't want to have to back in for another hose.
Will be replacing both.

Struggling to work out exactly what gaskets and seals I'll need to put it back together, don't want to miss anything off the order

Old 04-27-2019, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by owas
Will be replacing both.

Struggling to work out exactly what gaskets and seals I'll need to put it back together, don't want to miss anything off the order
This is a link to a walk-thru on the replacement of the heater hoses, complete with list of parts needed, on a Naturally Aspirated X308, I'm assuming the procedure is the same once you remove your supercharger?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x..._hoses-214200/

The following users liked this post:
owas (04-28-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Follow thhis link to the SNG Barrett download page and you can download a complete parts catalog. The blowups provide all of the part numbers and give you a good overview of the removals. With the part numbers you can research costs and availability. Also, SNG is a forum sponsor and offers a discount for members.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/Downloads

The following users liked this post:
owas (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM

Ok so.

EGR gasket
3 way connector
Induction elbow gasket
Throttle body gasket
Heater hoses

That's all I can gather I need?