XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Correct Gearbox Oil for X308 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Correct Gearbox Oil for X308 ??

OK time to change gearbox filter and change the oil. I have searched this site but am unable to find the ultimate answer for what gearbox oil should be used in my 1999 X308 Sports (3.2L)
Any-one been down this road before and have the right answer? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Neil.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

The 3.2L is not common here, so posting up the transmission model would get you more answers.

If it is the ZF, then ZF Lifeguard is the latest and greatest. Others have had success with Castrol Multi-Import ATF.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

this is what ZF told me:
all oils with jlm20238 specs
Prefered ZF lifeguard fluid5
other oils can be used as well when manufacturer recommended it for the gearbox but are neither tested nor recommended.

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

I have no idea what transmission it is or what to look for to find out,just assumed that all non supercharged XJ8[s in 1998/99 would be the same. Oils suggested on looking around the "net" are not available in Australia.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

If you list the brands that are available to you, perhaps it will trigger someone's memory.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts

Well, here's the stuff I used -

Pentosin - Transmission Fluid

Not sure if it's available there down under.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Please only use Esso Lt 71141. Mixing oils can be really dangereous in terms of making shorter the gearbox life.

Kind regards

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Check with the dealer. I recommend going with OEM fluids and filters. The price difference is not worth the headache caused by using cheaper stuff.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb

Hello all,

just for the records, all X308 models with naturally aspired motors (3.2L and 4.0L) are fitted with the ZF 5HP24 transmission. You'll find the information here:

Jaguar XJ (X308) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following 2 users liked this post by Highway Star:
Gippsland (11-21-2012), plums (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

The correct fluid for the ZF5HP24 transmission as used in the 3.2L & 4.0L non-supercharged X308 Jaguars is Mobil LT71141.

It used to be called Esso LT71141, but as they're the same parent company (Exxon/Mobil) they simply re-branded it to Mobil LT71141.

I've seen it for sale on ebay in 1L containers & bulk 20L drums.

Gippsland (11-21-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
I have no idea what transmission it is or what to look for to find out,just assumed that all non supercharged XJ8[s in 1998/99 would be the same. Oils suggested on looking around the "net" are not available in Australia.

Hello Gippsland...as you are in Oz here is what to use.
Your 3.2 uses the same gearbox as the 4.0 litre...being the ZF 5HP24
Only the supercharged 4.0 litre uses the Mercedes sourced box.

For your ZF, you can pay through the nose for the dealer expensive stuff or use some common sense and realise there are a number of good quality oils which meets the LT71141 specification and aremore than acceptable.

Best choices are:
CASTROL Tramsmax-Z full synthetic
PENRITE ATF FS Full Synthetic
ATF FS Full Synthetic - Penrite Oil

Both these oils more than surpass the LT71141 spec. which was originally set down more than 15 years ago.

I have been using Castrol Transmax-z for over six years with no dramas.
I have it fully flushed every three years.

Last edited by xjay8; 11-20-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Gippsland (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks xjay8 and redoctober for helpful info.. unfortunately most oils mentioned are not available in Australia. CASTROL Tramsmax-Z full synthetic
ATF FS Full Synthetic - Penrite Oil are! Have spoken to Technical support for a local brand of "Nulon" and am assured that their top of the range "All Special Vehicles" exceeds ZF Lifeguard 6 and Mercon5 I feel satisfied with their ability to cross reference with O/S products such as Castrol Import and Lifeguard and unless some one disputes/knows more I would be satisfied to go with this. Thanks again for the input.Neil

Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

BTW Tirefriar the difference in price could be up to $900 depending on how much will be needed.I love my car just NOT that much! But thanks for the thought. Filter is OEM but....

Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM

BTW Tirefriar the difference in price could be up to $900 depending on how much will be needed.I love my car just NOT that much! But thanks for the thought. Filter is OEM but....
I believe that trans capacity is 6 liters. Do the dealers down under have such a great price mark up (up to $150/liter based on your estimate)??? In this case I agree that searching alternative source makes a great deal of sense. I work in the body repair industry and deal with pricing daily. Sometimes aftermarket parts will cost as much as OEM. I don't do many jags, so I base my recommendation on other high end foreigns. You got me curious in the prices for trans fluid. Will call local dealer. Thanks for the interesting topic.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

The difference is that in the case of aftermarket body panels, there is not much in the way of "specifications" other than it's pretty much the same shape and looks like it might fit.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by plums
The difference is that in the case of aftermarket body panels, there is not much in the way of "specifications" other than it's pretty much the same shape and looks like it might fit.
Not to hijack this thread, but I am an advocate of OEM rather than aftermarket any day. As for the panels, there are various levels of quality designated by CAPA, non-CAPA, etc. Problem with A/M is that they "look like they might fit" but at closer inspection they don't. However, besides affecting the cosmetics A/M body panel will do little to shorten the life of your drivetrain. On the other hand A/M filters, fluids, hoses, belts, etc. in many cases can destroy the drivetrain. The perceived savings of getting A/M maintenance items over OEM isn't really there. I am a bit puzzled over the huge spread between dealer and A/M prices on the trans fluid in Australia. Will call Rusnak tomorrow to verify.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Not to hijack this thread, but I am an advocate of OEM rather than aftermarket any day. As for the panels, there are various levels of quality designated by CAPA, non-CAPA, etc. Problem with A/M is that they "look like they might fit" but at closer inspection they don't. However, besides affecting the cosmetics A/M body panel will do little to shorten the life of your drivetrain. On the other hand A/M filters, fluids, hoses, belts, etc. in many cases can destroy the drivetrain. The perceived savings of getting A/M maintenance items over OEM isn't really there. I am a bit puzzled over the huge spread between dealer and A/M prices on the trans fluid in Australia. Will call Rusnak tomorrow to verify.
When it comes to body panels, you also have a vested interest in that OEM panels make life easier for you in multiple ways. They fit better, customers complain less and so on. The only downside is the insurance adjuster not liking the cost.

It is not a comparable situation to fluids.

When it comes to fluids, a Jaguar dealer is effectively an aftermarket dealer as they are rebranding a fluid from the manufacturer.

The spec is well known and the vendors are held to high standards with regard to specifications and liability. Each specification is published and the physical characteristics that the fluid must meet are known. When a vendor says "will not void new vehicle warranty" they had better be right. A rash of $5k transmission replacements is not real good for the year end results.

For a specific example, only applicable to the Mercedes W5A580 transmission found in the supercharged "R" models, Valvoline Maxlife DEX/MERC ATF was specifically listed in a Mercedes training manual as a suitable complete refill. Note that Mercedes is the transmission manufacturer, not Jaguar. Only Mercedes is truly qualified to set the ATF spec.

The same is true of ZF transmissions. Only ZF is truly qualified to set the ATF spec. Jaguar can only regurgitate what ZF tells them. At best, Jaguar had some input into the software settings of the TCM. They had nothing to do with the design and engineering of the physical transmission.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-ratio-85054/

Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
I believe that trans capacity is 6 liters. Do the dealers down under have such a great price mark up (up to $150/liter based on your estimate)??? In this case I agree that searching alternative source makes a great deal of sense. I work in the body repair industry and deal with pricing daily. Sometimes aftermarket parts will cost as much as OEM. I don't do many jags, so I base my recommendation on other high end foreigns. You got me curious in the prices for trans fluid. Will call local dealer. Thanks for the interesting topic.
Incorrect I'm afarid...the dry fill for these transmissions is 10 liters.
To do a drain anf ill requires approx. 4.5 litres which means you need to waste at least 12 litres to do a propewr oil change.
that is why a hudraulic flush is advocated....even if it does use around the sdame amount.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks xjay8 and redoctober for helpful info.. unfortunately most oils mentioned are not available in Australia. CASTROL Tramsmax-Z full synthetic
ATF FS Full Synthetic - Penrite Oil are! Have spoken to Technical support for a local brand of "Nulon" and am assured that their top of the range "All Special Vehicles" exceeds ZF Lifeguard 6 and Mercon5 I feel satisfied with their ability to cross reference with O/S products such as Castrol Import and Lifeguard and unless some one disputes/knows more I would be satisfied to go with this. Thanks again for the input.Neil

Neil...my prefferance would be Castrol followed by Penrite.
Penrite refine their own blends right here in Oz and have a very comprehensive R&D...Nulon do not....I like their additives but don't use their oils.

The choice of course is always yours ;o]

Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjay8
...the dry fill for these transmissions is 10 liters.
To do a drain anf ill requires approx. 4.5 litres which means you need to waste at least 12 litres to do a propewr oil change.
that is why a hudraulic flush is advocated....even if it does use around the sdame amount.
+1

The procedure outlined in another thread took just about 2.5 jugs to get to a clear red stream at the outlet. And then, there was a bit for top up left as well as a bit to put away for emergency top up.

Quick Reply: Correct Gearbox Oil for X308 ??