XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Crank no start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023 | 12:56 PM
|
Default Crank no start!

Hi guys hope this might help someone else, just spent two weeks trying to start my 2002 3.2 xj sport, so I went out start car it was cold and she hadn’t been driven for a day or two, so this is my daily driver and she always starts first time, fired up for couple seconds then died?, 🤔 my first thought cps tested it out and it was 👍 had new one tested that and used it(always handy to keep spare), tried again turned over like there was no compression? , used my code reader nothing even used my mate Al sing dancing snap on still absolutely nothing!,so out with plugs coils etc, plugs where soaking in petrol so fuel side of things checked out 👍 so compression test and although my tester is old got more or less even reading, test for spark at plug very weak🤔,pulled every relay and test all of them nothing wrong there🤔 put a meter on every fuse on the car everything, I always felt it might be imoberliser problem?, but could find nothing,to cut to the chase I put a new 100ahbattery on her a fully charged battery with good quality jump cables and keep cranking a few false starts but eventually fired up😀, so my theory is not enough voltage to trigger ecu to send the right single to coils ,cause borewash and low compression (it kept flooding!), the longer I cranked her over Icould feel the engine building compression and finally she started coughed and spluttered a bit and running sweet now👍,so all that aggravation and it was a duff battery. Anyway if off to increase my carbon footprint 🤫

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 03:19 PM

Bore wash?

Old 02-10-2023 | 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Battery tenders are cheap insurance for these cars.

Glyn M Ruck (02-12-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 05:03 PM
|

Originally Posted by asdf
Bore wash?
Yes must have been after it flooded there was little resistance when cranking, it absolutely stank of petrol and spark was weak because battery was low, so new crank sensor simply because I had to take it out to test was fine but had a new so used that to rule it out, changed a couple of coil packs (working ok but slight rust around base where the spring sits) once again I had new ones, new set of plugs re check the electrics again nothing , so new battery with full jump battery said a prayer it did stutter at first but she was spinning up with more resistance because the oil was getting too the pistons and creating the compression and I kept it spinning till it started to run on its own , Bye the way resist the temptation to give gas till it starts running it needs the burn off excess fuel, don’t know if it helps you but I struggled to find many solutions for a common problem so pass it on might help someone else 👍

earny (02-14-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 09:13 PM

That's great len. Nice to know that you got it sorted.

Old 02-13-2023 | 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by len1957
Yes must have been after it flooded there was little resistance when cranking, it absolutely stank of petrol and spark was weak because battery was low, so new crank sensor simply because I had to take it out to test was fine but had a new so used that to rule it out, changed a couple of coil packs (working ok but slight rust around base where the spring sits) once again I had new ones, new set of plugs re check the electrics again nothing , so new battery with full jump battery said a prayer it did stutter at first but she was spinning up with more resistance because the oil was getting too the pistons and creating the compression and I kept it spinning till it started to run on its own , Bye the way resist the temptation to give gas till it starts running it needs the burn off excess fuel, don’t know if it helps you but I struggled to find many solutions for a common problem so pass it on might help someone else 👍
I'm sure I've read the correct way is to keep the throttle floored as that cuts the fuel supply & allows the engine to 'dry out'. I know it worked on my old XJ8 when I foolishly moved it around on the drive & turned it off before the idle had dropped to it's normal speed.

RJ237 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-14-2023 | 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hooli
I'm sure I've read the correct way is to keep the throttle floored as that cuts the fuel supply & allows the engine to 'dry out'.
Yes. WOT (wide open throttle). Must be floored so the PCM knows what you want and so does not add fuel.

Hooli (02-14-2023)