XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hey I知 new to the forum and I知 looking for some assistance. I知 currently experiencing a no crank issue and I was told to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor, but I can稚 seem to locate it. Can anyone lead me in the right direction or possibly show me a diagram of its actual location. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2021, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

It's in the bottom of the bell housing.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

A bit of a pain to get at if you don't have a lift, but with the front of the car on jack stands you can wiggle underneath on your back and locate it at the bottom of the bell housing as stated by forum member RJ237.

Just to make things a little more difficult there is some 1/4" piping running across right in the way, but the single screw holding the crank positioning sensor can be accessed with a little determination. If I remember correctly the screw is a torx head.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 818 Posts

Congratulations or apologies (depending on how you look at it )

If the engine won稚 turn over via a starter, it won稚 be because of a bad crank sensor. We need quite a bit more info though if we池e to help you get the car purring again. Give us all the information you can that led up to the no crank. There are a slew of no crank posts on here and a seemingly endless list of why the engine won稚 turn over. There痴 also a big difference between no crank and no start.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:46 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a no crank situation: pressing the Start button did not do anything, not even any sound from the starter motor.

At close inspection, it proved that the high current fuse (one of the three on the left side of the battery) was blown.
If you have this, you can see some further issues:
- with battery connected, no 12 Volt on the (+) pole below the left tail light (remove the panel).

If this is the case, you first need to make sure to remedy the underlying issue.
My engine could not be cranked manually by the front crankshaft nut: heavy resistance.

I remedied:
- renewing the engine oil, as there was having a heavy petrol smell at opening of the oil cap.
==> Instead of ca. 7 L of oil in the sump, I pumped out ca. 15 L of mixed oil, petrol and water! Clearly the engine was hydraulically locked.
- manually crank the engine without the spark plugs: engine was now free!
- replace all injectors (nr. 7 injector might not close correctly, since nr. 7 spark plug was completely clean and the others had at least some carbon colouring)
- replace all spark plugs and coil packs (not really needed, but to service the car).
- final step: replace the high-amp fuse
Lo and behold: the engine started running with huge amounts of white smoke: water vaporising from the carter and the exhaust.

Funny thing: before replacing the high-amp fuse, I actually managed to crank the engine by connecting a spare battery to the (+) pole below the left tail light..

Then, I noted that the battery was not charging.
To take out all doubts, I also replaced the (-) battery cable, carrying the Battery Monitoring System (BMS), but to no avail.

It turned out that the generator cable at the starter motor was loose. Also the generator was malfunctioning.
This was serviced at my garage, as I do not have a bridge to do this myself to replace the generator.
The battery is now also properly charging.

So I came quite some way from a non-functioning engine to a runner!

Last edited by sbolinha; 10-04-2022 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 342 Posts

Odd...I could have sworn this was an X-308 forum