XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Crankshaft Pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019 | 02:21 PM
|
Default Crankshaft Pulley question

I was about to reinstall my crankshaft pulley on my 2000 XJR when I noticed that the rubber inset at the back of the pulley was all cracked. Thinking it was something that needed to be replaced I attempted to pull out this rubber piece. As soon as I did a rubber chunk broke off an I realized that perhaps this rubber part was not something made to come out.
My question is this, is it possible to remove and replace this? Does anyone have a name or part number for this rubber, I can't seem to find anything, or do I have to get a whole new crank pulley?
How bad is it to have this missing? will this throw my crank pulley out of balance?

Old 03-16-2019 | 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

There are a few places that will re-build them. Since they are not particularly easy to remove I'd either repair or replace it before you put everything back together.

This guy comes highly recommended by one of the more knowledgeable members on this forum...
https://www.damperdoctor.com/

I am no expert, at all, but I wouldn't re-install that with the rubber deteriorating like that if it were my XJR.

Old 03-16-2019 | 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Agree with everything Harvest14 says, I wouldn't put it back.

New ones are an outrageous $1,600+ but you should be able to exchange yours for a rebuilt as-new one for around $350-$400

Damper Doctor is here in Redding, and at least in the same state as you.

Old 03-16-2019 | 03:18 PM
|

Originally Posted by harvest14
There are a few places that will re-build them. Since they are not particularly easy to remove I'd either repair or replace it before you put everything back together.

This guy comes highly recommended by one of the more knowledgeable members on this forum...
https://www.damperdoctor.com/

I am no expert, at all, but I wouldn't re-install that with the rubber deteriorating like that if it were my XJR.
Thanks for the recogmendation!

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Agree with everything Harvest14 says, I wouldn't put it back.

New ones are an outrageous $1,600+ but you should be able to exchange yours for a rebuilt as-new one for around $350-$400

Damper Doctor is here in Redding, and at least in the same state as you.
Yeah I just looked up the part number for the pulley and was searching for parts, I was floored by the prices I was seeing! Ithink $1200 was the cheapest and one was over $2000, for a damn pulley!
I'm going to email the damper doctor now and get a quote.
I wish I had just left this damn thing alone and not tried to remove the rubber, although given how easily it broke off I'm not sure how long it would have held up anyway on a spinning pulley.

Old 03-16-2019 | 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

FYI the Damper Doctor is only open Mon-Fri, so you probably won't get a response until next week.

With the harmonic balancer removed this is a good time to replace the timing cover/crankshaft seal if it hasn't already just been done..

It is recommended that you use a new bolt on the balancer when you replace it.

Old 03-16-2019 | 03:38 PM
|

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
FYI the Damper Doctor is only open Mon-Fri, so you probably won't get a response until next week.

With the harmonic balancer removed this is a good time to replace the timing cover/crankshaft seal if it hasn't already just been done..

It is recommended that you use a new bolt on the balancer when you replace it.
I just put the timing cover on with a new gasket and have a new crankshaft seal, bolt on o ring for when the pulley goes back on

Old 03-16-2019 | 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OUScooby
I just put the timing cover on with a new gasket and have a new crankshaft seal, bolt on o ring for when the pulley goes back on
Perfect!

Old 03-16-2019 | 06:56 PM

Dale MFG (new home page H.B.) is closed for March but will be open in a few weeks until June.

Never had a problem with either Damper Doctor or hbrepair.

bob

Old 08-04-2019 | 02:38 PM
|

So I thought I'd put and update here, I got the car all put back together yesterday and filled it with fluids today. It hesitated at first but started first try, unfortunately there is a knocking at idle. It seems the bottom end of the motor did not survive the overheating that lead me to rebuild the heads. Here is a video of it at idle:

Thanks to everyone here who offered help and advice. Unfortunately I think this is the end of the road for this Jag.

Update: So I did a compression test on the engine the number are as follows (from front cylinder to back): Driver's Side 120,125,130, 115 Pass Side: 125, 135, 135, 120. So the car has compression thats good, but all for spark plugs had carbon build up on them. These were brand new spark plugs and this was only from a few min of idling. Also I've got CELS for misfires P0300 P0305 P0307 and a pending P1000 as well as a transmission high temp warning that has thrown it into limp mode.
I'm slightly more optimistic given how the compression test turned out, but need to figure out why the spark plugs foul so quickly, which I'm assuming is the cause of the missing.

Also I am continuing this in this thread here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-167785/page4/
So please respond there

Last edited by OUScooby; 08-04-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Update