XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Crazy Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crazy Idea...

Hey guys,

So I currently drive a '99 XJR and I absolutely love it...but lately its been giving me a ton of annoying electrical problems and I am considering other options. I've always wanted a Series I XJ but I also like fast cars. I came up with this crazy idea but not sure if it would work which is where you guys come in. Could I do an engine swap with my XJR engine and fit it into a series I?? Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Why not upgrade the SC to a Whipple or other true twin screw? The Eaton is a power losing hog.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

Your XJR has a whole bunch of interconnected, interrelated computer control modules talking to each other in a controller area network or CAN bus. Even if you could isolate the necessary modules and transfer them into another car, its a good rule of thumb to get the engine and all its related systems operating perfectly in the donor car before you move anything to the recipient car. Otherwise, when something doesn't work in the recipient, then you know absolutely that the problem was introduced by yourself during the "swap" and you just have to backtrack your steps to find it. If the donor car is already a mess, then you'll NEVER find the problem in the recipient car. At that point, it won't be like you can follow the diagnostic procedures in the factory service manual.

Assuming that you are confident that the donor is mechanically sound, then you might want to research aftermarket programmable engine management systems. Those are generally self-contained, not relying upon input from a bunch of other systems (tho the more sophisticated ones have option to program many different inputs). But I'm always amazed at human ingenuity. Where there is a will (and unlimited funds), there is usually a way. Hopefully someone has done it or something similar and can advise you better.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,089 Likes on 839 Posts

There's someone on this forum doing our XJR drivetrain swap into a 1960's S-Type. Just do a little digging.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I wonder if it would actually be easier to modify a Series I car's body panels and graft them onto your chassis than doing the engine transplant. It would require a lot less computer skills.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 PM

Thats actually not a bad idea 80sRule but again, my 'what if's' continue with that project as well haha.

I have seen that s-type swap which led me to guessing if it'd be possible in a series 1.

I'm pretty set on getting a series 1 but again, I want it to be fast but hate the sound and just overall uncharacteristic chevy swap, it just seems wrong to me.

Any suggestions??

Old 09-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Why not upgrade the SC to a Whipple or other true twin screw? The Eaton is a power losing hog.
Could you elaborate as to how one of these engines would be more beneficial?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rideordie
I'm pretty set on getting a series 1 but again, I want it to be fast but hate the sound and just overall uncharacteristic chevy swap, it just seems wrong to me.

Any suggestions??
Can you elaborate on that? I would have thought a Series 1 with a nice LS1 would be perfect, and cheap, and if you don't like the sound then just put a proper exhaust and mufflers on it

Old 09-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

I'll let Kenne Bell do the talking, they lay out the argument quite well...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SC_efficiency.pdf (452.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 09-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
Can you elaborate on that? I would have thought a Series 1 with a nice LS1 would be perfect, and cheap, and if you don't like the sound then just put a proper exhaust and mufflers on it
Not to knock your suggestion, but there are cheap 340HP LS1 for around $2-3k used and then there are more powerful ones for $4-7k+ getting 500-650HP. Like the old saying goes, HP is what you can afford. Isn't there also the cost of retuning to consider?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

I may be interpretting this wrong or missing something, but if your having electical problems now you'll have those same problems in the swap car since almost every part and wire (CANBUS) will need to swapped to the donor car. If your planning on stand alone management then ignore what I said good luck

Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hey greverrr, you've played around a lot with this scenario and your experience is definitely a plus. He does state he is having electrical issues, but what kind? I'm pretty sure his replies will be limited until this hurricane is over, so we'll have to be patient to answer that. I bailed and am in Biloxi until Wed.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by grandell
Yeah I have seen some very nice LS swaps and I'm not totally opposed to that. I also have a friend who does LS swaps in classic Land Rovers so I originally was leaning towards that route. I'm just trying to get an idea of what other options are out there.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by greverrr
I may be interpretting this wrong or missing something, but if your having electical problems now you'll have those same problems in the swap car since almost every part and wire (CANBUS) will need to swapped to the donor car. If your planning on stand alone management then ignore what I said good luck
Yeah understood, my intentions was rebuilding the wiring harness in the process of the swap in hopes of ridding it of the electrical gremlins I seem to constantly be chasing with my current XJR. I guess to go back to my original question, I just want to know if its possible and if it would it be more cost effective as I already have the XJR. Just throwing ideas around and seeing what sticks haha

Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Hey greverrr, you've played around a lot with this scenario and your experience is definitely a plus. He does state he is having electrical issues, but what kind? I'm pretty sure his replies will be limited until this hurricane is over, so we'll have to be patient to answer that. I bailed and am in Biloxi until Wed.
I'm just having a bunch of little electrical issues I cant seem to remedy, weather it be new parts or otherwise. I think my wiring is just starting to fail on me more than anything else.

Don't blame ya for getting out! I'm staying in Orlando and riding the hurricane out, luckily we shouldn't be getting hit too hard but hope the rest of my friends around florida stay safe.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Well first off and most importantly good luck through the storm and hope everyone stays and remains safe.
If your good at wiring/soldiering and reading schematics anything is possible. I just got done retrofitting a VW 97 VR6 engine/trans/subframes/everything and made all most all of the wiring harness's from scratch into an 86 GTI. The car wouldn't even run or start with the harness's I started with. Where there's a will there's a way!
Check this out, same idea as your proposing, I believe he's part of the forum?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by greverrr
Well first off and most importantly good luck through the storm and hope everyone stays and remains safe.
If your good at wiring/soldiering and reading schematics anything is possible. I just got done retrofitting a VW 97 VR6 engine/trans/subframes/everything and made all most all of the wiring harness's from scratch into an 86 GTI. The car wouldn't even run or start with the harness's I started with. Where there's a will there's a way!
Check this out, same idea as your proposing, I believe he's part of the forum?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YndKnreFGs
Thanks greverrr, so far it hasn't been all that much worse from our typical summer storms...at least on my side of FL. Should be getting worse soon though.

Yes, this video is what led me to ask my initial question haha. Pretty amazing build I must say.