XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cruise Control/Passenger Side Rear View Mirror Connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control/Passenger Side Rear View Mirror Connection

I recently replaced my Brake Pedal Switch and was pleased that I no longer get the "Failsafe Engine Mode" warning, plus my cruise control is now functional again! I'm very grateful for the excellent advice I received on this forum. For some reason, my passenger side rear view mirror also doesn't automatically drive down to the lower stop whenever I use my "key-fob" to remotely unlock the doors. Coincidence? I’ve looked at the circuit diagrams available for this model (2003 XJ8 (X308)) from the ALLDATA site and can’t see where these circuits are cross connected. Can anyone explain?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Why would you want/expect the passenger mirror to "automatically drive down to the lower stop"??? (are you referring to 'dip in reverse'?). The mirror should be set to the memory position for THAT keyfob transmitter. The driver's seat, steering column, and exterior mirrors can be set to a memory position if the car has that feature.

Each keyfob transmitter (2) can be configured to it's own memory position. (memory one or memory two). Memory 3 is configured with the driver's switchpack button only if the switchpack is so equipped.

I have 2 keyfob transmitters for each of my XJ8s. My wife has her seat/column/mirror settings for her keyfob transmitter and I have mine for my keyfob transmitter. If she uses her transmitter, the seat/column/mirrors move to her configured settings. My settings are set to my transmitter.

If you are wanting the passenger mirror to 'dip in reverse' then that feature can be enabled/disabled with PDU,WDS,IDS etc.

The mirror 'dips' when REVERSE is selected with the gearshift selector lever.

You can set that with the keyfob transmitter but it will remain in the DOWN position until you manually move it or select another memory position.

The mirror could have faulty position sensors or might need to be reset to position 1 or position 2 to correlate to the appropriate keyfob transmitter.

More info please.

bob

The following users liked this post:
roberthornsey (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

My passenger side mirror sometimes rotates to it's farthest down point, it even drones on after hitting that point upon cranking. Not sure what to make of that, but it is a bit of a nuisance lol.

The following users liked this post:
roberthornsey (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 AM

The position sensor has failed/intermittent and it does not know where to STOP.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
King Charles (03-10-2016), roberthornsey (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorcarman- The passenger side mirror "glitch" hasn't happened since I replaced the Brake Pedal Switch. While troubleshooting my Cruise Control/Failsafe Engine Mode issue I also discovered that the mirror glitch stopped when I turned off cruse control with the center console switch. I agree with King Charles that is was just a nuisance, and I could always re-reposition the mirror afterward, but it only happened when I used my key fob and neither of my presets put the mirror in that position. The Engineer in me is just curious on how the two issues could possibly be related? I haven't been able to find any link in the car's electrical circuits.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Kudos motorcarman, my to do list just added one more.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by roberthornsey
Motorcarman- The passenger side mirror "glitch" hasn't happened since I replaced the Brake Pedal Switch. The Engineer in me is just curious on how the two issues could possibly be related? I haven't been able to find any link in the car's electrical circuits.
Without looking at EVERY module in the network, there is little chance of isolating the fault.

The memory system uses modules like SLCM, Body Processor and Door Control Module that are Networked.

You will need a diagnostic machine capable of communication with all the modules to check for DTCs and maybe 'watch' sensor movement 'LIVE' with datalogger.

I don't see the relationship with a brake pedal switch or speed control switch but stranger things have happened.

bob