XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Gotta say I really like the way you did the tailpipes, when I get mine done it'll have to be like that too.

Nothing worse than a big can on the back and you can see that it's just a bolt on, not going all the way back to the muffler with the smaller pipe visible.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i just want a bit more sound would it be a good idea to take off the resonators pr just put in some aftermarket mufflers like flowmaster, magnaflow or borla?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Not true if she was adopted they could have not been asian so there take that Mr smarty pants. Or what if she just looks Asian and maybe they couldnt tell lol. Come on im trying here to help out cus theres always a reason people wanna ask a question dont mean it makes sense to us but to them it does LOL
No, they were just idiots...his question was were her genetic parents also asian. They were quite the dodo heads. They realized how stupid the question was once they asked it. Classic example of speaking before engaging the brain.

We thought it was hilarious at the time. We all had a good laugh.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
that is correct and theres no such thing as a dumb question
How do you determine which is a resonator?

Jaguar refers to all of them as "absorbtion type silencers". Typically, that means an unobstructed perforated flow tube with surrounding packing material.

The placement of the "resonator" is a huge point of confusion in most of the exhaust threads because someone will say: "I removed the resonator" without identifying the physical placement. Now, if they happen to be confused as which one is a resonator, then all bets are off without pictures.

It would be really interesting to see the twin piped front muffler in cutaway.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Old post but what the hell, thought I'd share what I found out.

The short story is I was able to put a plumbing snake right though the mufflers, resonators and center resonator all the way up to the exhaust manifold. I thought our exhaust would have baffles it seems to be a straight though design. Aside from larger size piping and getting rid of the over the axle bends, the stock system doesn't seem that bad, which I've never said about a factory set up.

I had a cat melt down after a prolonged high speed run racing to help my girlfriend who was having a diabetic attack. After I reached her and got her home my car started running really rough. Chugging and stalling, down on power.

It turned out the cat blew apart and clogged the drivers side exhaust.

Later, while parked with the engine off I heard the oddest noise. It sounded like breaking glass, just cracking and tinkling away. I had no idea what it, and since I was at a gas station, I thought it must have been background noise.

On start up the next morning, I heard a loud bang! As if a rock hit the garage door. I got out of the car and found what looked like a paper wasp comb. Picking it up I realized it was made from ceramic, and not paper. I picked up done second hand cats locally and after clearing out the exhaust and installing the new drivers side cat, all is good.

So of course I'm going to screw around with them and make some smooth 90' mandrel teat pipes with bugs for the sniffers.

Last night I finished making a trial 4" intake 90' bend to test out and see if it works better than the 3 " I had before. Wow! What a difference. Now on to the test pipes....

Originally Posted by plums
How do you determine which is a resonator?

Jaguar refers to all of them as "absorbtion type silencers". Typically, that means an unobstructed perforated flow tube with surrounding packing material.

The placement of the "resonator" is a huge point of confusion in most of the exhaust threads because someone will say: "I removed the resonator" without identifying the physical placement. Now, if they happen to be confused as which one is a resonator, then all bets are off without pictures.

It would be really interesting to see the twin piped front muffler in cutaway.