XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Damn you, wiper gremlin! Damn you to Hell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn you, wiper gremlin! Damn you to Hell!!! 1998 XJ8 X308

Hey guys & gals, having a bit of a windshield wiper issue on my 1998 XJ8, so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! So here's essentially what's going on - The wiper will come on by itself, rain, sun, makes no difference. Sometimes it will happen after driving for a bit, and other times it will come on right away. Sometimes it will start off on a slower speed, but ultimately end up on hi speed and cannot be turned off, nor the speed adjusted. When I shut the car off the wiper will park in the correct position at the bottom, but here's the really fun part - When this occurs, sometimes I can't turn the car off. Oh boy, what fun! One time when this happened I accidentally bumped the wiper stalk and, lo and behold, the car shut off! The same thing happened recently, but this time I moved the wiper switch on purpose, and again the engine shut down. Thankfully I have always been able to turn the car back on, but sometimes on the second or third try of turning the key, so perhaps ignition switch related somehow? For now I simply pull the wiper relay and plug back in when needed, but this is certainly no fix. Also, once I pull the relay the wiper stalk will no longer shut the car off, no matter which way I push, pull, or stress it. I've cleaned the three ground points by the headlights, grounds for the fuse boxes, and at the battery, which were all fairly clean to begin with. Have not yet made it to the one at the bell housing. Any thoughts, or suggestions are most appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by nyboomguy; 05-07-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, interesting development as pertains to my wiper issue. There seems to be a short somewhere behind the dash, to the left of the clock. With the wiper OFF, if I push IN on the woodgrain panel, or press UP on the dash pad, (again, this is right around the left hand side of the clock), the wiper will turn ON. But if I press DOWN on the dash pad the wiper will turn OFF and return to its correct parked position. Short behind the dash, I assume? Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks all!