XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dan Hiat's new full 3.5" intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Dan Hiatt's new full 3.5" intake

Attached is a pic of Dan Hiatt's new intake.

A divider will be soon added to keep it a cold air intake.

Looks very clean.

Nice smooth 90 degree smooth sweep into the TB eliminates the usual restricting cobrahead bottleneck.

Attached Thumbnails Dan Hiat's new full 3.5" intake-dans-intake.jpg  

Last edited by WaterDragon; 02-22-2014 at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mvirgil (07-26-2015)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Prototype? If not, performance numbers if any?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Many thanks to Waterdragon for posting the picture for me (I'll eventually crack the code of posting my own pics )

After a lot of reading on this and the XKR forum I built the intake using 3.5" silicone sections from siliconeintakes.com and a K&N filter. There are metal joiners between each section, as well as in the middle of the long section to reduce the likelihood of it collapsing under vacuum.

I had to do the 90 degree section coming off the throttle body twice. Initially, I trimmed the end attaching to the TB in a level/equal manner. When I attached it to the TB the other end was pointing up: if I attached the other sections to it they were much too high relative to where I needed to go and put a lot of stress on the 90 degree elbow. Too much, in fact. I bought another 90 degree elbow, but this time cut it very close to the inside curve (just enough material left for a hose clamp) but more on the outside. The result was that after the elbow was installed it "aimed" kind of down so that the remaining sections would not contact the hood.

I am running the stock MAF. The intake contacts the hood only at the top of the TB elbow (a small squish). Next on the docket is to fabricate a cold air intake divider to separate intake air from hot engine air as much as possible.

This modification really lets you hear the SC! It is easy and cheap!

Many thanks to Waterdragon and the many other forum members that have done this mod before me.

Mvirgil (07-26-2015)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Zorasmiles - I don't have any numbers for my intake, but a search of the forum will show claims from 10-20hp. All I know is that along with the recent upper pulley the R is pulling a lot harder!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WaterDragon was the first to do this. He invented it after being told it would not work.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

that looks great, any chance of a list of part numbers?

Thank You

Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

This one I originally done for my XKR but now fitted it to my XJR, there's not much in it the positioning is very similar

Attached Thumbnails Dan Hiat's new full 3.5" intake-img_1557a.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Baloo
WaterDragon was the first to do this. He invented it after being told it would not work.
Now here is a blast from the past.

Baloo,
Long time, no post.

The silicon smooth sweep into the TB, and using "rescue tape" to make it fit on the TB is my idea, others could have independently had the same idea too before me, but my intake is a bit different in that I am using a 92mm MAF and a 4" section from the MAF to the first turn where it steps down to 3.5". See attached pic. That is a 4" to 3.5" 90 degree silicon reducer.

I'm injecting my water/meth in the 4" section with the hope that some instant evaporation will take place, thus cooling the air, thus making it denser before it gets to the smaller diameter dimension.

Baloo, Did you see my 0-100 video?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...19-psi-108378/

0-100 in less than 10.5 seconds on cold street tires without any "launch", just rolling into the throttle, and the video was shot @ 4200 lbs with a trunk full of junk and 3/4 tank of fuel. No NOS. You can clearly see the boost gauge reading 18 psi which is +8 psi more than it read when the car was completely stock. +4 from my lower pulley, and the other + 4 from my mods. Of course some were hinting of cheating, but if anyone does the math of increasing +8 psi of boost, it is impossible to deny approx +100 HP would come from that.

So, Baloo, any news to report on your project?

Attached Thumbnails Dan Hiat's new full 3.5" intake-flows-better.jpg  

Last edited by WaterDragon; 02-25-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added "others could have independently had the same idea before me too"
Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 AM

JaguarXJR02 (and anyone else that is interested):

Go to siliconeintakes.com and get the following in 3.5" size of your color choice: 1-90 degree elbow, 1-60 degree elbow, and 1-2 foot straight coupler. Some metal joiners, some hose clamps, and 1-silicone port system for the valve cover breather hose will finish it out.

A 3.5" universal K&N filter (I don't remember the part #, a search of the forum will show recommendations).

5/8" coolant hose from auto parts store for valve cover breather hose.

A sharp razor blade or utility knife.

I used the existing factory throttle body gasket (I trimmed it a bit) and the existing factory MAF gasket.

The key to the whole thing is the 90 degree elbow attached to the TB: Imagine holding the elbow in front of you with the top pointing to the right. For the lower right hand side you want to make your cut close to the inside curve, leaving about the width of a hose clamp to work with. For the lower left hand side you want to leave more length so that the top of the elbow will aim slightly down when it is attached to the TB. Work in stages so that you don't trim off too much and have to order another elbow.

An extra metal joiner in the middle of the long straight section is helpful to prevent possible collapsing.

For the breather hose I trimmed the factory one off while leaving the factory connector and elbow. I installed the port and cut the piece of coolant hose to fit. Fitting very snug, so clamps were not necessary.

Try as you might, there will be a small amount of contact with the hood insulation which will result in some "squish".

I placed the filter in the corner to the outside of the windshield fluid reservoir. I will eventually add a divider for cold air.

Hope this helps!

The following 4 users liked this post by Dan Hiatt:
Catenaccio (07-26-2015), Don B (05-26-2024), jaguarcraver (02-23-2014), JaguarXJR02 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 PM

I should add that the silicone port system is specified for tubing up to 2", but I used it anyhow. Working fine. Also, I ordered a 1/2" x 3/4" brass elbow (wish it were black or silver) to attach to the port and connect via 5/8" coolant hose to the valve cover breather.

jaguarcraver (02-23-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo

That's laughable. It's been done long before he did.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

heh,

Am I the first to use a different MAF, nope
the first to use a larger tube, nope,
the first to use a non restricting true 3.5" 90 degree smooth sweep silicone bend into the TB- I don't really know, maybe? maybe not. I suppose it is possible. But I don't really care.

All that matters to me is that I tried it, found it to be useful, and shared my findings with the board here

Steve, do you know of any silicon 90 degree smooth bends into the TB in use before me?
I'm not the one claiming to have done it first, but I think it is possible that I did that little improvement first.

What did Newton say...."If it appears I can see farther, it is only because I am standing on the shoulders of giants."

Baloo- what ever happened to "the project" you were working on? Send me a PM

Last edited by WaterDragon; 02-25-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM

I made a full 3.5" silicone intake 5 years ago and have seen others do the same before I did.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

So, Steve M, while you are patting ypourself on the back, did you post the results to help others? Just sayin...

Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 PM

My point is I was hardly the first, it's been done for years before and I don't claim to be the first or did anything special. It was probably done soon after these cars came out. Putting in larger intake tubing is as simple as it gets. But to have some newb claim that Waterdragon was the first or "invented" it just now is ignorant.

This is not to take away from Waterdragon who does a great job of documenting his modifications. He just shouldn't assume he's the fist to do things.

To jog Waterdragon's memory, who went by Newby previously:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-74188/page2/

Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

thank you for the breakdown, seems simple enough, I haven't done anything engine-wise to my car thus far but this looks like a nice moderate adjustment, the stock intake seems quite small.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

The 3.5" silicon 90 degree elbow that goes into the TB is 3.5" ID, and the outside of the TB is approx 3.25". So therefore there is a gap that needs to be filled.

Sooooo, to make the dimensions match so the silicon elbow fit snugly so you can clamp it, one must make some sort of large diameter gasket.

I simply wrapped the TB side with layers of silicon "rescue tape" until it was the exact desired dimension and the elbow fits very snugly. I added a clamp just to be sure.

This is the trick that made it easy for me.

I also wrapped one layer of rescue tape over the 92mm MAF to make it a very snug fit with my 4" super thin walled pvc intake tube section. I prefer the thin wall pvc over metal because it is ultra light weight, and even better, it is more heat insulating, which I think is important, given the total surface area of the intake tube is a pretty big number.

Again, I don't care who did this first, all I want is for forum members to share the benefits of my trials and errors, good and bad. Making this intake tube mod is one of the good mods.

The larger intake tube, in my opinion, is the first place to start, bang for buck wise. Especially since you can swap back to the stock intake tube in 5 minutes if you ever wanted to.

Sharing information is what this board is about.

I had forgotten that SteveM did use this silicon elbow idea before me. Steve has been helpful to me directly more times than I can remember and I thank him for his contribution to the board and for directly helping me too.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 02-25-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 AM

I used the stock gasket that was between the cobra head and TB. I trimmed it a little with a razor blade. It made for a snug got with a hose clamp. My $.02.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water, why are you backpeddaling?

Quick Reply: Dan Hiat's new full 3.5" intake