XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dash board lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash board lights

How do you change the dash board lights? Some of mine have gone on the temp.guage & heater control display panel. I've been told it's better to change them all if a few have started to 'blow'.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine myself, but it's been awhile.

First, the wood facia just pulls off. Grab hold inside the speedometer or tach opening and give a sharp tug. Once you have that off there are a series of screws that have to come out. I don't recall the exact placement or how many, but as I recall it's pretty intuitive. There's at least one multi-plug to disconnect in order to pull and view the back of the instrument cluster. I think there's only 4 or 5 bulbs there that can be replaced. I picked up new ones at the dealer for not much money.

Sorry for my hazy memory. Others will probably chime in with more details, but once you realize you don't have to remove any screws to get the wood facia off, it's pretty simple (and you DO have to give a pretty good tug to get it off).

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
rayneale (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

It can be scary the first time you remove the wood but it is only clipped on. There are four scres in each corner of the cluster but you need a long magnetic screw driver to get them in & out. Before you do this disconnect the battery as you don't want to short out your gauges.
The bulbs are 3.5W Wedge bulbs and just push in & out the holders which need you to twist to get out. Check this Vid out from a XKR owner & Forum me,ber it will help: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=40235

Hope this helps. S.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Any suggestions on replacing the light behind the display for the heater etc. which is on the centre consol above the gear shift?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I just pulled the heater lights now, and it is not a huge deal, if you know what you are doing. I am doing a new stereo installation and had great instructions that came in the kit to get the stereo out.

Once you get to that point (I am sure documented very well elsewhere), the heater and switch complex above the stereo comes out with a single screw at the top of the panel (now hidden by your wood, but that comes out with the stereo). Once that screw is removed, the unit just comes forward. One the rear side of the module you see where the heater and switch panel are two seperate units in one housing. On the lower heater unit, there is a plastic cover on the back held on by two screws (the two screws farthest from the faceplate, most rearward). Take these two screws out, pop off the black plastic housing (small clips on the side also hold it on, but easy to remove).

You will then see a PCB (or PWB for you blokes), covered by a thin clear plastic piece. In the middle of this assembly are two round brown plastic parts that are the lamps in question. Turn them a quarter turn or so and they come out for replacement.

I got the stereo out, the new faceplate ready to go in, and the burned out bulb in my heater module in less than an hour, but I had the stereo instructions handy, and they were well done.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Regarding these bulbs, is there a specification somewhere here that details the bulb types?

I went to the dealer for the climate control lamp, and these little suckers are $10 EACH! There must be another source... please!

So, I had to put up the $20 for two miniature bulbs, and they had to order them. The first interaction with the Jag dealer in Sacramento was a disappointment. However, it was the nicest parts counter I have ever leaned my elbows on... marble and wood. I felt oh so much better shelling out the $$s.

The following users liked this post:
rayneale (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Thanks Mike, v.useful