XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dash light go off & headlights blowwhen i rev the engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I cant get the %@#$@%$&! Alterntor back in. it doesnt fit between the mounting bracket, I had a really hard time getting it out of there, wiggling it for a couple hours before it finally came free, now my fears have been realized and it wont go back in. Is there any advice one of you could offer?

Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleazy
I cant get the %@#$@%$&! Alterntor back in. it doesnt fit between the mounting bracket, I had a really hard time getting it out of there, wiggling it for a couple hours before it finally came free, now my fears have been realized and it wont go back in. Is there any advice one of you could offer?
Might be something in these links if it works on your computer browser

https://www.google.com/search?q=jaguar+x308+alternator+installation+site: www.jaguarforums.com&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi79f6228bjAhV LKqwKHUUjDCgQrQIoBDAFegQIBBAN&biw=1536&bih=706:ico n_dance-disco:

Old 07-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...w=1536&bih=706

Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope

https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...w=1536&bih=706
Thank you for that but I dont seem to see the problem that I am having anywhere in there. the alternator just does not physically fit into the alternator bracket. Like I said earlier I had a hell of a time getting it out of the bracket. it took at least an hour just to get it to budge, then another two hours to get it out., nowI dont know how am I supposed to get it back in, this is frustrating. Its the very same alternator, just with new brushes and bearings and regulator. Why is that bracket so tight? There is no need for it to be that damn tight

Old 07-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

In reading the following blog, I think the problem might be a sleeve/metal bushing in the top, left bolt hole:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-stuck-91804/

See what you think.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 67ECoupe
In reading the following blog, I think the problem might be a sleeve/metal bushing in the top, left bolt hole:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-stuck-91804/

See what you think.
Yes it is the bushing that is not allowing the alternator in where it needs to be, I have tried a nut and bolt through that section of the bracket and tightening them as much as I can in the hopes that the bushing would get sucked in a little bit and allow me to get the alternator in the bracket, but the bushing doesnt appear to have anywhere to go, theres no bevel for the lip of it to go into. It's tight as can be against the metal of the alternator bracket. It just doesnt fit. I been spending 4 hours simply trying to get the alternator into the bracket here with no success of any sort, all the other alternator threads I have perused everybody says no problem in and out in an hour and a half, where mine wont even fit into the bracket, this is so frustrating

you can see the bushing that is in the way on the far side of the alternator closest to the oil filter

Old 07-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Im stuck right here, I can not move the alternator at all, it will not for further

Old 07-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Well, in case you have trouble getting to the link I posted, here was Jag#4's solution:

The "Cure for me was a short prise bar and aggressive leverage. This was after trying to tap the bushing back in from the other end of the hole (no joy). You do need to be careful not to break off the ears on the mounting bracket. Rocking it while I prised on it seemed to help."

Also, in looking at your picture and an illustration of the engine in general, I would try installing it from underneath the car after removing the oil filter.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Im stuck right here, I can not move the alternator at all, it will not for further
Also, it looks like you are going to figure how to sneak it in by inserting the side of the boss without the sleeve protrusion in first.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Well, in case you have trouble getting to the link I posted, here was Jag#4's solution:

The "Cure for me was a short prise bar and aggressive leverage. This was after trying to tap the bushing back in from the other end of the hole (no joy). You do need to be careful not to break off the ears on the mounting bracket. Rocking it while I prised on it seemed to help."

Also, in looking at your picture and an illustration of the engine in general, I would try installing it from underneath the car after removing the oil filter.
Isn't that is in reference to getting the alternator out? That took me three hours, like I said earlier. and you can look at the first photo I shared of the alternator and see the gouges that the bracket put into the alternator mount area just from wiggling it out. It just does not fit, the gap is too narrow

Old 07-21-2019, 05:16 PM

Isn't that is in reference to getting the alternator out? That took me three hours, like I said earlier. and you can look at the first photo I shared of the alternator and see the gouges that the bracket put into the alternator mount area just from wiggling it out. It just does not fit, the gap is too narrow
I keep seeing a reference to a bushing that needs to be pushed in, but I am not sure where it is in your photo.

Maybe that is the problem?

The following users liked this post:
Sleazy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Also, here is another link that you might have missed:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oud-r-i-78238/

And here is what Jag#4 said:

"Finally tackled removing the alternator again. Been limping along during the work week by watching gauge and charging battery.

By wedging the non-bushing side of the mounting brackets (side closest to radiator) out a little first, I was able to "pop" past the bushing and it came out. Pushed the bushing in some as per the link Jim sent (thanks!) and the new one went right in. I did clean up the bolt hole facing on the new alternator first, just in case.

For the record, it is not necessary to remove the radiator fans. The lower mounting bracket for the air box comes off with two screws.Once out of the way, the alternator can be turned 90 degrees and will slide right out. Much easier than the fan removal or trying to drop it from underneath. See the attachment for bracket pix in case this doesn't make sense."

So it seems like you gotta get this out of your way:

OK?

See:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oud-r-i-78238/

Last edited by 67ECoupe; 07-21-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Sleazy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:35 PM

I keep seeing a reference to a bushing that needs to be pushed in, but I am not sure where it is in your photo.

Maybe that is the problem?

I took the whole alternator bracket out of the vehicle, the alternator does not fit, there is not sneaking it over the bushing, how can i get the bushing to move?You can see it sticking out on the right side of the mount in this picture

Old 07-21-2019, 05:49 PM

I took the whole alternator bracket out of the vehicle, the alternator does not fit, there is not sneaking it over the bushing, how can i get the bushing to move?You can see it sticking out on the right side of the mount in this picture
Since you have the bracket off of the engine, I would take them both to your rebuilder and ask for his help in fitting them back together.

Also, did you look into removing the Air Box Bracket?

Last edited by 67ECoupe; 07-21-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Sleazy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:53 PM

Since you have the bracket off of the engine, I would take them both to your rebuilder and ask for his help in fitting them back together.

Also, did you look into removing the Air Box Bracket?
They are not open today, being Sunday, and I have removed the airbox completely that is not in my way

Old 07-21-2019, 05:55 PM

I am installing from underneath, The oil filter is not really in my way so I dont see the need to remove it till its time to change the oil

Old 07-21-2019, 06:15 PM

They are not open today, being Sunday, and I have removed the airbox completely that is not in my way
It is possible that either the bushing is stuck, when it should slide, or it extended too far out and needs to be moved back some or trimmed off a bit.

You might try soaking the sleeve/bushing with some penetrating oil and carefully tapping on it with a piece of wood between it and the hammer to see if it moves.

If that doesn't work, then wait until your rebuilder is open and take the problem to him. After all, it did fit in the bracket before it was rebuilt.

Sleazy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

I had to use a c-clamp on that bushing to get it to move. Just the edge of the clamp on that inner bushing with the other side on the outer part of the "ear" containing the bushing. It doesn't want to move easily.

Sleazy (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 07:31 PM

It is possible that either the bushing is stuck, when it should slide, or it extended too far out and needs to be moved back some or trimmed off a bit.

You might try soaking the sleeve/bushing with some penetrating oil and carefully tapping on it with a piece of wood between it and the hammer to see if it moves.

If that doesn't work, then wait until your rebuilder is open and take the problem to him. After all, it did fit in the bracket before it was rebuilt.
I took a dremel tool and grinded down the aluminum a hair on each side of the alternator and got it to fit, now the original problem seems to still be there, the dash lights flicker when the car is running, along with the glove box light, more frustration

Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 PM

I took a dremel tool and grinded down the aluminum a hair on each side of the alternator and got it to fit, now the original problem seems to still be there, the dash lights flicker when the car is running, along with the glove box light, more frustration
Well, looks like you need to get your meter and check your alternator's output, voltages at your fuses, etc., as well as your ground connections for resistance.

Hopefully, it will only be a fuse weakened or a damaged ground by the high voltage output.

Last edited by 67ECoupe; 07-21-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Sleazy (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Dash light go off & headlights blowwhen i rev the engine