XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dash light trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dash light trouble

Morning all ,
Hopefully someone can help me with my dash lights, two bulbs had been replaced , one illumination and one warning bulb, and the illumination bulb worked for two days ! and the lights on warning light never did come back on ! anyone have any ideas on where to go to now ?
Thanks Geoff

Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi Geoff,
I have not replaced any of the warning light bulbs, but I have replaced the illumination ones several times, so I feel your pain.

I ended up pulling the instrument cluster out completely and disassembling it on my bench. I replaced all of the bulbs because for the cost of the bulbs it doesn't make any sense to have to do this more than once every few years.

I first made sure the oxidation on the copper metalization (contacts) was well cleaned and shiny. Then I put a very small amount of bulb (dielectric) grease on these contacts. Prior to twisting in the new bulb, I made sure the bulb contact wires were pulled out a bit to ensure good contact with the circuit board when putting the bubs in. Reassemble the cluster, re-install and test before putting it completely back together.

Cheers!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
Hi Geoff,
I have not replaced any of the warning light bulbs, but I have replaced the illumination ones several times, so I feel your pain.

I ended up pulling the instrument cluster out completely and disassembling it on my bench. I replaced all of the bulbs because for the cost of the bulbs it doesn't make any sense to have to do this more than once every few years.

I first made sure the oxidation on the copper metalization (contacts) was well cleaned and shiny. Then I put a very small amount of bulb (dielectric) grease on these contacts. Prior to twisting in the new bulb, I made sure the bulb contact wires were pulled out a bit to ensure good contact with the circuit board when putting the bubs in. Reassemble the cluster, re-install and test before putting it completely back together.

Cheers!
Thanks mate I'll give it a go on the weekend

Old 04-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi smtguy,
Having trouble removing the 4 white connectors so I can replace the EML bulb. What is the way to get these off?
Thanks
Bill W

Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 AM

Heliwilly,
Which white connectors? The small ones with the gray ribbon cable? If so, just grab them gently with pliers, and gently pull with a little rocking motion.

JagWranger has some great pictures and instructions you can download: http://www.thejagwrangler.com/upload...on_rev_1.2.pdf. These are in conjunction with installation of his RealGuage product (a great product, by the way), but may be helpful to you while working on the instrument cluster.

Cheers!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts

I need bulbs for my fuel gauge,engine temp. & AC/cabin temp. display please direct me as to what kind & where to find.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 AM

Bulbs for the instrument cluster are standard off the shelf at most auto parts stores. Do a search here on the forum for the part number.

The A/C and radio display I had to go to the Jag dealer for. They will ask you if you want blue or green bulbs which only refers to the color of plastic cap they put on the bulb. What was in there on my car was blue, but I chose to make the A/C back light green for differentiation.

Good luck!