XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dashboard Removal Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard Removal Steps

98 VDP. Starting to get an irratating rattling sound coming from behind the instrument panel and near the passenger airbag area. I tried to glue the ventalation grids on the dashboard/windshield but to no avail.

Since I have a few days off during xmas, I thought I would tackle the problem and remove the dash since I have to fix the telescoping steering also.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

As I'm not sure how much of the dash you want to take off, it may be better to try and get hold of the JTIS. (The software version of a workshop manual. There is no hardcopy version) This can usually be bought from ebay and automatically downloaded onto your computer after you pay. I got a copy for <20USD. It has step by step instructions (with pictures) on how to take everything off from the dashboard.

One other thing I would recommend is get someone else to come out in the car with you and get their help to try and pinpoint where the rattle is coming from...... I was 110% sure I had a rattle in the passenger side door trim..... as the noise was clearly coming from my right (LHD car)... but when I took a friend out and asked him to listen also, he could hear the noise coming from his left..... The actual root cause of this really annoying rattle was the sunglass holder in the roof console :-)

I also had problems with my wood panel around the instrument cluster rattling. As far as I know the wood in front of the passenger is fitted with the same kind of pop on fastenings... maybe it's worthwhile getting your friend on a run and asking him to push and hold that wood panel and see if thats whats causing the problem.

I have also noticed my dash top/windscreen airvents are getting a little bit twisted out of shape, probably from the sun, and they are kind of loose, but they don't rattle.

Let us know if you make any progress as it's always good to know sources of rattles on these cars, which for the most part are pretty quiet

Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Cool

I have the cd manual. Yes, it gives instructions on removing everything in the dash, except the dash itself. I will look through again. Maybe it's buried in another section.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Ah, ok. I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

When you're in the JTIS menu screens there are small green arrows at either side of the screen. if you click on these you get into other screens.... did you click onto these green arrows ? (I missed these in the beginning of using JTIS as they are quite small)

Old 12-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SARC
Ah, ok. I'll have a look when I get home tonight.

When you're in the JTIS menu screens there are small green arrows at either side of the screen. if you click on these you get into other screens.... did you click onto these green arrows ? (I missed these in the beginning of using JTIS as they are quite small)
Would this explain why I'm not able to find any JTIS info about any engine internals (I'm especially interested in the chain tensioners, etc.)? Is this information there, just hidden?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 AM

mmmm....my copy doesnt have the green arrows. it has an index section where you click the areas that you need information : General Info, Chassis, Powertrain, Electrical and Body and Paint. I went into Body and Paint section. There are various subsections including Instrument Panel and Console. The removal and installation section give procedures on removing the radio, climate clustion, coin tray, glove compartment, instrument panel, but nothing on the dash.

I guess during the holidays I will tackle it one screw or bolt at at time because the squeak and rattle is driving me crazy.

I will post my removal procedures upon completion.

Thanks and happy holidays.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

@ alckc

I had a good search around tonight and I can see everything but the dash top panel, sorry. Let us know how you get on if you do tackle it. Sounds like it would be good info to share that isn't easily available elsewhere.

@ Quad

You're right..... the engine section does seem very sparse, as you said, nothing interesting, like timing chain tensioners in there. I wonder if there's different "levels" of JTIS ? and we maybe only have the beginners version ?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SARC

You're right..... the engine section does seem very sparse, as you said, nothing interesting, like timing chain tensioners in there. I wonder if there's different "levels" of JTIS ? and we maybe only have the beginners version ?
Wonder if there will be significantly more detail in the ALLDATA subscription? Think I'll make a post with this question. Thanks, SARC.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 PM

I finally got around to getting to the dash rattle today. Took off the instrument, clock panel and glove compartment. Tightened the bolts above the glove compartment and instrument panel. I couldn't get to the bolts in the middle behind the air ducts.

As I had the dash half apart, I replaced the drive pin to the reach motor which broke 8 months ago. It was easy to take off the reach motor by looking through the coin holder slot as you slide a long screw driver up to pry apart the clip.

The hardest part was to aligning the drive pin to the telescope housing. It took me almost an hour to finally get the pin aligned. It's working great now, just like new.

As to the rattle, so far so good. I haven't heard the annoying rattle. Keeping my fingers crossed to see if the bolts I tightened solved the problem.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alckc
98 VDP. Starting to get an irratating rattling sound coming from behind the instrument panel and near the passenger airbag area. I tried to glue the ventalation grids on the dashboard/windshield but to no avail.

Since I have a few days off during xmas, I thought I would tackle the problem and remove the dash since I have to fix the telescoping steering also.

Thanks in advance.
alckc:

What did you use to glue the ventilation grids down with. Mine are rattling and the clips wont hold them tight. I want to glue mine as well but I wanted to know what the best glue/method would be.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 PM

i cant recommend a glue that will do the best job, but i can tell you what not to use. don't use gorilla glue. i tested it out on a plastic piece and it dried fine. then i applied the glue to the vent grill and the next day it look like crap. it bubbled and turned off white rather than drying clear as on the test sample. i scraped out most that i can do with a razorblade. it doesn't look as bad, but bad enough. damn it, the rattle and chatter is still there. not from the vent grill but underneath the dash somewhere. feel like shooting the can foam inside there because the rattle and chatter is driving me crazy.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM

not sure about the 86, mine is a 98. on my car the wood pieces surrounding the instrument cluster and middle air vents are held on by compression clips. they pull out with minimal force.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 AM

Jagnut: You're in the wrong sub-forum page; this is for XJ8 - XJR. You'll, hopefully, get the correct answers in the XJ6 & XJ12 forum.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 06-25-2010 at 01:45 AM.