XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A day in the new (old) 1998 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default A day in the new (old) 1998 XJR

After driving home yesterday, these are the things I notice that I need.

1. I have the 70 MPH vibration,
2. The sway bar link or bushing are shot, front and rear, or a broken spring.
3. If I play with the shifter, I get a Transmission Fault warning. The shifter if very loose. Turn off and restart, everything is fine.
4. I don't think my SuperCharger is working, I did the cable adjustment and it did improve the pedal height and a throttle response. I don't get that get up and go like I seen in the youtube vids.
5. The Steering adjustment motor works, but I think the gears are worn, tilt does work, but in and out don't.
6. The trunk don't open when I press the Jaguar emblem on the lid.
7. In hard turns, I get the Engine low coolant warning. But goes away when I am out of the turn. (added coolant)
8. Maybe the ignition switch needs changing/cleaning, have to turn it hard to start it.
9. The pillar tweeters is not working and the rear passenger speaker crackles at times.

Thinks I noticed when I went to look at the car the first time.

1. Headliner is ******** and the later part of the sunroof panel is missing.
2. The fender wheel well liner has tire burns and the lower cover for the bottom of the engine is missing.
3. The wrong shifter cover.
4. Passenger headlight was out (replaced)
5. The starter sound like my neighbor F250 starting up.
6. The interior rear view mirror need replacing, the liquid is bubbling.

For the most part all of this is a easy fix, with some time and patience she be back to normally.

If the weekend is good up here in PA, she will get a good interior cleaning and I will start ordering parts.

If anybody has any remedies or suggestion how to tackle some of my issues, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
SGB

Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Solutions

Here are a couple of solutions to the problems your having if you haven't already solved them.
1) As far as the headliner goes, you'll need to take it to an upholstery shop to have it replaced. They will have to replace the whole thing you can't just re-glue it if you want it done right. They quoted me a price of $125 last year. I thought that was pretty reasonable considering what all is involved in doing the job. It's very time consuming.

2) It's much easier and cheaper to have you old rear view mirror reconditioned rather than buying a new one. I had mine done and I'm completely satisfied with the result. And, it only cost me $100. It was going to be over $400 from a dealer. Here's the link for that:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-17719/

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Don

Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

1 try a wheel balance, road force first. Maybe swap fronts to rear, see if it's imbalanced wheels/tires.

2 sway bar bushes are cheap, will probably need doing are an easy job. But put the car on stands first.

3 Ski slope removal then tighten up the gear selector cable lock nuts evenly on both sides as misaligned give these fault warnings.

4 remove the throttle body then below it the throttle elbow and inspect the egr hole, probably bunged solid.

5 steering motor drive is plastic and stripped, the bouden cable rounds it out, I can supply a new one.

6 most likely a broken wire at the boot hinge on the rhs. Need to inspect the bunch after unwinding the material tape, eyeball and squeeze each wire for breaks (check the black ones first) if not this, it could be the micro switch in the button mech, it's held in with 2 6mm bolts I think you'll need to pull the cover to get at it. Test it for continuity before getting a switch from radio shack.

7 dirty sensor shaft within the header tank, I recommend pushing the float up and down to clear the debris - may need to siphon off a bit to locate the float.

8 - strip and clean, also look at the wiring contacts on the pack that clips to the mech, you'll see its obvious when the column cowls are removed.

9 can supply tweaters you need to remove the grab handles first before pulling the A pillars, a good trim removal tool (plastic) helps pop the fir tree clips holding it to the chassis.

I can also supply a later oem mirror with gel fill instead of fluid (as early cars suffered) for same money as a repair.

These are all easy jobs with how to's on here and usually pictures. A nice laundry list to bring it back to ship shape.
Good luck!