XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dead battery XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery XJ8

I live in Nebraska and thereby I have cold problems. I haven't started it in about a week and it got really cold here. I went out this a.m and no lights came on when I opened the door, so I thought oh ohhhh. Not enough juice to open the trunk either. How do I jump start, if I can't get into the trunk?

99XJ8 base

Old 01-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Does your key open the trunk?
You may be able to get at it through the license plate holes if key doesn't work, search the forums here for the procedure

Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

In the engine compartment you will find a positive connector for connecting a battery charger. DO NOT use it for jump start only use it to provide sufficient power to open the boot using the button.
Your key should open the boot by turning it a full 90 degrees to unlatch. In a lot of cases the key is seldom used and the lock will be very stiff. You can keep working it or spray some lubricant in it.
Unlocking with the key is preferable but you can provide power to use the button.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,793 Likes on 1,315 Posts

SansuiMan, first, you should have a manual key release on the right hand side of the trunk lid in the emblem. You may have to press down on the trunk lid to get it to release, like avern1 said... it can be hard to turn.
You say you had not lights or power...do you mean none whatsoever? Like your clock wasn't even working type dead? I ask because I just figured out an issue I had, had with mine that was quite befuddling. My battery was fine (had it tested), but all my power was dead. I fiddled with some connections around the battery and it came back to life. I didn't know what I had done to resurrect it at that time. I got her home, did some tests and found nothing.
So I didn't have the issue again for a few months, then it did it again the other day. This time I waited a few minutes more, I had the trunk open via the manual release and reached down for the negative battery lanyard, WHALA! ...she came back on. It was warm and I knew I had my culprit. It was the end by the terminal. I had metered that lead before and it passed, but I wasn't really suspecting that, so be sure to check it thoroughly. Ironically I went over to my indy to tell him and he had just pulled off a bad one on an XK, so it is not uncommon.
If you find this isn't your issue and the cold did tag your battery, I would highly recommend a battery tender of some type. I know how cold Nebraska can get, I was stationed at Minot ND.

Last edited by Highhorse; 01-05-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Good info. here to prevent this in the future.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...harger-173943/

The following users liked this post:
omgimali (01-06-2017)