XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dead radio after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead radio after battery change

I had the battery changed in my '99 XJ8 and now the radio will not power up.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

A little more detail would help... was the battery completely dead or disconnected prior to the charge? Does the radio head unit display anything or is it completely blank when you press buttons? etc., etc. Often when left unpowered for more than a few minutes, key entry of a security code is required to bring the head unit back to life - but it will display CODE, or something to that effect. You can call your local dealer and supply them with your VIN, they will give you the code.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I bought my Jag two weeks ago and the previous owner took the Jag to service, because he said that the car will need a new battery.

The car was at Ford service and they said that old battery does not hold charge and they installed a new battery.

Since that the radio is "dead". The radio does not display anything. I was thinking that some fuse burned out. I tried to hold power button a few more seconds, but no success.

Any help?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

OK, David. You are making a good guess. look at your fuse layout in the book and check the radio fuse. The fuse locations change year to year, so that is the bestway to find your radio fuse. On mine, it is in the right side, rear seat heel panel .

Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM

I checked the radio fuse, which is located at rear seat panel. I also checked the audio system fuse located in the trunk. Both fuses work, but the radio still does not power on.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi David, did you check both sides for continuity (SOMETIMES THE FUSE LOOKS GOOD BUT IS BUST) and that you have got 12volts? If yes then you are going to have to look behind the radio to see if you have power and then fault find from there.
Regards
Gareth
South Africa

Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I had the same experience. At least I thought so...

I removed my battery cables overnight to reset the computer a few months back. When I reconnected the battery, my radio would not come on, no CD, Radio, Tape, Nothing, just silence. Lights work, but no sound. For the next few months, the radio would occasionally come on for a few minutes. It seemed like it worked more often during cold weather, so I started to assume it was a circuit board on the radio that was heating up and causing a break in the connection somewhere, or maybe an Amp on the board was heating up and dying. I finally decided weather had nothing to do with it.

I pulled the radio and re-soldered all the connections I could get my iron on, but NOTHING. Same thing, only worked occasionally. I pulled the radio and checked all connections numerous times, etc...

Well, the other day, I finally ordered a new/used radio off Ebay. By the way, I found a source that only charged me $20 using Buy it Now!!! They usually run around $150ish. This one was $20 + $12 Shipping, WAY Cool! Mounting tabs were broken, but nice shape otherwise (I'm really picky about scuffs, scratches, etc). It was packaged really nice for shipping to prevent damage. He's got a dozen or so for sale right now if anyone needs one, and they include the VIN so you can get the code from Jaguar. PS: No, I'm not affiliated, just happy to find them.

So, while I was waiting for the radio to arrive, I decided to fix an Antenna that I had broken off accidentally. (Stupid Mistake. Because I was in a hurry to get to a wedding, I drove through a car wash. Also, because I was in a hurry, I forgot to turn off radio. DOH!) Anyways, the moment I reconnected the New Antenna, the Radio Started Working. ????

It's been 4 days now, and it's still working. I will be holding on to the new radio for a while to see if it's cured, or if it was just a fluke and it dies again. So, question, is your Antenna broken? I'm not sure how it could have made a difference, but like I said, it started working the moment I connected the Antenna up to the Radio again. I understand the radio not working, but CD/Tape? Strange... Maybe an extra ground? (I had the radio's rear ground strap connected, but maybe something internally through the antenna lead?) Sorry for the LONG post.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the "long" post. I tested radio,audio system and antenna motor fuse with circuit tester and all of them look good. I found some wirings in the trunk close to battery which is not connected and do not know what is it. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 AM

The deck or amp will receive a signal from the electric aerial to switch on when the ignition is turned on. This is usually a blue wire. If you do not have an electrical aerial then the blue wire is connected in conjunction with the white wire that is connected to 12volts.
Dave I don't think it would be the wires at the battery. You will have to check for 12volts at both sides of the fuse. Can you ask the Ford service agents what exactly they did? It may be that they intentionally disconnected something so as not to drain the battery.
Regards
Gareth

Old 10-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. After I had some work done on my 01 XJ8, the radio was completely dead. I changed the fuse even though it looked good, and it worked. I posted a thread here and someone responded with the exact location of the fuse. Sorry I don't remember where the fuse was located.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 AM

Yip, I still think its a dud fuse. But guys do yourself a favor and go over to the Captains site and download your cars manuals and Jaguar electrics guide Click HERE for the link.

When reference is made to AJ26 and AJ27 the AJ26 is the supercharged model. Let us know what the outcome is.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Finally, I fixed it !!!!!

I was still thinking that it would be something "stupid". I replaced audio system fuse and nothing happened. (located at trunk). Fuses looked good, but today I removed and replaced radio unit fuse located at the right side, rear seat heel panel. Then I just turned the radio on.

Damn FUSE

Old 03-03-2022, 03:02 PM

my radio is dead now car having other propblems XJR2003 i have a feeling you get that radio working and everything else will click