XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dead XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dead XJ8

Hi. This is my first post, and sorry to say it's not a happy one. Here's my story: I bought a '99 XJ8 base model with 98k on it four months ago. It's a very clean car inside and out, with a number of new parts, and everything working--with one very recent and MAJOR exception.

Having read about the potential failure of the exhaust cam tensioners, I decided to change mine, and I bought two new ones from a local supplier. I intended to install them myself, with the help of the forum, as I've done this sort of work before. However, I was pressed for time, and I have a friend who has a hard-up former mechanic friend who needed cash and offered to do the job for $200. Bottom line, this guy screwed up the installation, and the engine is toast. I went to his home/garage and removed the plugs and attempted to turn the engine by hand--no soap. He told me that after he finished the installation and started the car, there was a "horrible mechanical clanking" and he shut the car down "within a few seconds."

I believe the damage is done, and there's no use in trying to get compensation from the "former mechanic"--who does of course feel terrible. So, I'm looking for advice. I have about $6k in the car, which is truly in near-excellent condition, but I'm NOT looking to put several thousand dollars into a car that while I like a lot, is pretty much just a Sunday cruiser for me. I don't want to just part it out, and if I get rid of it, it has to go in one piece. What to do, what to do? Your suggestions (NOT recriminations, as what's done is done) are welcome.

Thanks for your interest. Chris

Old 07-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I bought a replacement engine from Coventry West near Atlanta. Out of an 97 XK8
with 57,000 miles and the tensioners done, 1 year warranty. $2,600. I have about
20,000 miles on it now. Runs strong.

Some of the newer engines won't work due to computer issues. Look at XK8
engines since they usually have lower miles.

Unfortunately a non running car is worth $300 to $800. You can't make total economic sense out of it, but they are enjoyable cars to drive for sure.

Sorry for the misfortune.

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

IO am with Lear, except I would give $1,200 if the cosmetics were perfect, the underside had no rust and it was near Atlanta.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

I wish someone could spell out what the damage is. Broken pistons? Bent valves? Bent connecting rods?

My friend had timing chain (or belt) failure on his Volkswagen - with all "ah and oh" he ended-up I believe only replacing valves, and the mechanic who replaced chain(or belt) picked up most of the cost.

I feel that if same happen to me, and if I had a well equipped garage, and if my research into similar events suggested that there is a good chance that the damage is not that bad - I would have some fun taking the engine apart to see the damage (my guess is that there is no need to pull engine out for this). Perhaps friend of a friend mechanic would help me with a bit of advice and some good tool to make the job easier.

Could be good father-son project, it's summer time :-)

Sorry it happened to you and good luck!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Well, you do not know what damage you have until you tear it down- On an XJ8, the valves could very well be the only damage, BUT on a dual overhead cam engine with VVT that is not a small job.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Given the alarming regularity with which transmissions fail in these cars I'd say to sit tight and wait for such an afflicted car to turn up. Selling off the remaining parts of the donor would likely amortize most or all of your expense if you are so inclined.
There is a fellow in the Chicago south suburbs that has many parts cars and sometimes advertises on Craigslist.
I believe the late Ford T-bird and a Lincoln model also use the AJ26 so would be potential donors as well. Someone with better info will chime in on that interchange I'm sure.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Well, you do not know what damage you have until you tear it down- On an XJ8, the valves could very well be the only damage, BUT on a dual overhead cam engine with VVT that is not a small job.
On an AJ26 it is a moot point. If the engine won't turn it's pretty clear the damage is severe. My guess is the chain came completely off and is wound up somewhere in the T-cover.
These engines are way too costly to overhaul. Entire running cars can be had for less than overhaul price.
OP has an oversized boat anchor and perhaps a nifty souvenir.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

First of all, the MY 99 NA is an AJ27 engine. And, while I agree with you that it won't be worth it if you pay someone to do the work, I do not agree that it is "moot". If the valves are all that is bent, then about three good days are what it would take the average hobby mechanic to remove and install the heads. Two heads on ebay can be gotten for less than $750. then another $400 or so to have them rebuilt. With gaskets and whatever timing components are wrecked, you are in for less than $2000. So, if the car is as clean as the OP said, and he does not consider working on his car as "work", he MIGHT be better to do his heads.

Or, as you say, the engine could be wrecked and he will have wasted his time tearing it down!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

...mechanic finished the installation and started the car, there was a "horrible mechanical clanking" and he shut the car down "within a few seconds."...

for me this is kinda too quick to pronounce the car dead, I would at least figure what exactly was the mechanic's mistake. One tooth off on one of the sprockets? Is it difficult to check that "the chain came completely off and is wound up somewhere in the T-cover"?

Last edited by NJ2003XJ8; 07-16-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Removing the valve covers is not difficult, and if the chains are broken it will be obvious. I would not be surprised to find the chains intact, but the camshafts out of alignment, resulting in bent valves and possible piston and head damage.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
First of all, the MY 99 NA is an AJ27 engine. And, while I agree with you that it won't be worth it if you pay someone to do the work, I do not agree that it is "moot". If the valves are all that is bent, then about three good days are what it would take the average hobby mechanic to remove and install the heads. Two heads on ebay can be gotten for less than $750. then another $400 or so to have them rebuilt. With gaskets and whatever timing components are wrecked, you are in for less than $2000. So, if the car is as clean as the OP said, and he does not consider working on his car as "work", he MIGHT be better to do his heads.

Or, as you say, the engine could be wrecked and he will have wasted his time tearing it down!

Well Ross,
Here's how I see it, AJ 26 or 27 doesn't matter. It makes no sense to invest $2k into an engine that can be had(along with the rest of the car) for less money. It's less effort to swap rather than tearing down in situ.
The OP has stated the engine will not turn. I have speculated that the chain has come off. I also suspect the engine stopped itself and was not "shut off" as the ace mechanic claims.
Think for a minute about what scenario would lock up the engine? It didn't suddenly spin a bearing and seize. If it was running then shut off as claimed it may have bent valves but they have already contacted the pistons, bent and no longer would impede the turning of the engine.
I stand to be corrected about the cause of death, the story can be told after a post mortem but I'll bet a dollar to your doughnut this engine is done, finito, kaput, mort regardless of what happened.
I'd be pleased to be wrong for the OP's sake but don't expect a good outcome.

Anything can be fixed of course but I'm talking about a practical solution.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

I was not trying to show you up with the AJ27 comment- only to help if the OP goes after an engine.

And, I think you and I are not too far off on our estimation- I just don't hear enough to say it is toast- but you may be right.

I have been involved in helping two guys with bent valve incidents- one the fellow used a head he got from ebay- it only crashed one side, and the other the fellow threw in the towel, tried to get a new engine and I think finally gave up. The guy who changed the head has less than $1000. in the job. I bought a pretty good head complete for my XJR for $250. a few years ago.

On the other hand, a reasonably low mileage XJ8 engine will go for less than $1500 and for about the same time as installing the new heads, you can change the tensioners and install the engine.

BTW, I have both changed an XJ8 engine and tore one down in situ, and there ain't crap for difference in the effort.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 07-16-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Default Dead XJ8 Update

First, let me thank all of you for your replies and suggestions. I've decided that as much as I like the car, I'm not going to put thousands of dollars into it with either a teardown/specific part replacement, or a replacement engine. For one thing, I don't have the garage space to do the work myself, and I likely also don't have the time. My faith in anyone who claims they can do any part of the work for a reasonable cost is also shaken at this point.

I've posted the car on the Milwaukee Craig's List, and as I don't want to part it out, I'm looking for a buyer to haul it away in situ. BTW, as the rest of the car is in fine shape, I'm going to try and get at least $1500 for it (very good tires, new battery, excellent interior, etc.). We'll see, and thanks again for the support. I hope to be back with another Jaguar, this time I think an XK8.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Keep us posted as to the disposition!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by CMdrag
First, let me thank all of you for your replies and suggestions. I've decided that as much as I like the car, I'm not going to put thousands of dollars into it with either a teardown/specific part replacement, or a replacement engine. For one thing, I don't have the garage space to do the work myself, and I likely also don't have the time. My faith in anyone who claims they can do any part of the work for a reasonable cost is also shaken at this point.

I've posted the car on the Milwaukee Craig's List, and as I don't want to part it out, I'm looking for a buyer to haul it away in situ. BTW, as the rest of the car is in fine shape, I'm going to try and get at least $1500 for it (very good tires, new battery, excellent interior, etc.). We'll see, and thanks again for the support. I hope to be back with another Jaguar, this time I think an XK8.

I see your ad and feel your pain.
Hopefully someone will take on the challenge.
Broken Jags are a very tough sell. Given yours is so nice cosmetically I'd post some pictures to demonstrate this.

You are certain it won't turn? I'd have to at least pop a valve cover off for a look.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When I replaced the water pump on my XJ8, I forgot to tighten the bolts on the water pump pulley. It made a heck of a noise when I started the car - tightened it up and all was well. Are you absolutely sure it is not something simple like this? I know you say that the engine won't turn, but as others have suggested, are you 100% sure that's the case?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Yeah, I would at least pop a valve cover and see what's in there. You never know, it may not be as bad as you think, and besides, we're all dying to know. Just BTW, it's hard to believe a mechanic would not know that this is an interference engine. I had trouble timing my daughter's Acura after replacing the cam belt, but it was never off enough to trash the engine.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Default Dead XJ8 Resolution

Thanks again to all who responded to my original post. Here's the way things stand:

I really like my XJ8, and, as mentioned, it's in lovely condition inside and out--other than the bad engine. I don't want to spend more time and effort and money on the car, especially as it's one of four vehicles and it's taking up my only garage. I also don't want to see it parted out, as I think it's in too good a condition for that, so...

I'm donating the car to "Rawhide," which is a Wisconsin organization (founded by former Green Bay Quarterback Bart Starr) dedicated to helping troubled youths learn work skills as a way to acclimate to the world. They'll take the Jaguar, fix the engine, and sell the car. They get the profit from the eventual sale of the car, and I get a tax deduction. To me, it's a win/win situation.

Ironically, I was looking over a beautiful black/tan XF last night in a parking lot, and it made me think how much I'd love to get another Jaguar (although not one for $65K). There is a nice looking '99 XJ8 Vanden Plas with 87K on it at a small dealer's lot near me that looks good, and I may try and haggle for it. If I get it, or another Jaguar, I'll be a lot more selective as to who works on it (perhaps only me this time), and I'll make more use of the wisdom and kindness on this forum. Cheers for now!

The following 5 users liked this post by CMdrag:
badger2196 (07-19-2014), Don B (07-19-2014), JimmyL (08-06-2014), Lear45 (07-19-2014), RJ237 (07-18-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by CMdrag
Thanks again to all who responded to my original post. Here's the way things stand:

I really like my XJ8, and, as mentioned, it's in lovely condition inside and out--other than the bad engine. I don't want to spend more time and effort and money on the car, especially as it's one of four vehicles and it's taking up my only garage. I also don't want to see it parted out, as I think it's in too good a condition for that, so...

I'm donating the car to "Rawhide," which is a Wisconsin organization (founded by former Green Bay Quarterback Bart Starr) dedicated to helping troubled youths learn work skills as a way to acclimate to the world. They'll take the Jaguar, fix the engine, and sell the car. They get the profit from the eventual sale of the car, and I get a tax deduction. To me, it's a win/win situation.

Ironically, I was looking over a beautiful black/tan XF last night in a parking lot, and it made me think how much I'd love to get another Jaguar (although not one for $65K). There is a nice looking '99 XJ8 Vanden Plas with 87K on it at a small dealer's lot near me that looks good, and I may try and haggle for it. If I get it, or another Jaguar, I'll be a lot more selective as to who works on it (perhaps only me this time), and I'll make more use of the wisdom and kindness on this forum. Cheers for now!

How about my XJ?
PM sent

Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

CM Drag,
You have done well with accepting the death of your XJ8 and moving on. May
its soul go to a better place with no rust, corrosion or failed tensioners. You are doing
a good thing. Thanks for sharing the story!

Quick Reply: Dead XJ8