XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Decided to pass

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Decided to pass

2000 JAGUAR XJR 1 OWNER, LOW MILLAGE, NICE

Called, and asked the right questions. For the price I would've gone for it, although I am primarily focusing on 2003.

"One owner", turns out to be Spanish speaking gentleman that 'owns" the car for a month. Title is in his "nephew's" name. "Nephew" is the original owner, and gave him the car. He is now selling it (after a month). No service records, no knowledge about if any of the updates were done. Car is supposedly in the EXCELLENT condition.

Smells like a "flipper" jumping the title. One owner car should have SOME records. I decided to pass. It's a right color combo (the one I'm after), and the miles are not too bad (about 20K more than I would like). Tensioners, thermostat tower, and all other things will have to be addressed. I just don't like the BS stories.

IF he said "I'm a flipper, bought it from the original owner a month ago for a song, trying to make a buck", I'd go and get it today.

Just have to wait, I guess. I never had any patience to begin with.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Wise move.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:15 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand

Called, and asked the right questions. For the price I would've gone for it, although I am primarily focusing on 2003.

"One owner", turns out to be Spanish speaking gentleman that 'owns" the car for a month. Title is in his "nephew's" name. "Nephew" is the original owner, and gave him the car. He is now selling it (after a month). No service records, no knowledge about if any of the updates were done. Car is supposedly in the EXCELLENT condition.

Smells like a "flipper" jumping the title. One owner car should have SOME records. I decided to pass. It's a right color combo (the one I'm after), and the miles are not too bad (about 20K more than I would like). Tensioners, thermostat tower, and all other things will have to be addressed. I just don't like the BS stories.

IF he said "I'm a flipper, bought it from the original owner a month ago for a song, trying to make a buck", I'd go and get it today.

Just have to wait, I guess. I never had any patience to begin with.
The nephew can't be the original owner. A 2000 cars would have had a license plate starting with a 4 or even maybe a 3
This car plate start with 6, meaning registered around 2006.
So the car was at least sold/bought once as a used car around 06

Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I generally assume that everything that I hear from someone trying to sell me a car, is a lie. I base my decision on what I can see, hear, feel, and what the owner can prove with paperwork (receipts, carfax, etc.).

Old 03-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

ditto Waterdragon

Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Yes, Wise move- pic #7 looking at the doors, they don't quite look right- the gaps are off.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand

......>>>>>.
Hmmmmm.......why is there no green 'valet' key?
Those tyres look suss....either this car has been running under inflated,
or suffered a few 'burn outs'.
The leather looks rather sad for a car of this age.
The engine bay looks tidy enough....no tell tale coolant splatters and other crud.
Pipes looke good.
I wouldn't copletely write it off.
How far away is it?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by xjay8
Hmmmmm.......why is there no green 'valet' key?
Those tyres look suss....either this car has been running under inflated,
or suffered a few 'burn outs'.
The leather looks rather sad for a car of this age.
The engine bay looks tidy enough....no tell tale coolant splatters and other crud.
Pipes looke good.
I wouldn't copletely write it off.
How far away is it?
I asked him about the leather, and he told me that the discoloration seen is the camera lens. "Mint condition leather" were his words.

The key? Americans are pretty sloppy with that. It's rare to buy a used car that changed hands several times with all keys, manuals, etc. "One owner" car should have all that, I agree.

And tires? Another "American thing", .......like I mentioned before, I owned two car dealerships in the 90s, so I speak from the experience,.....MOST normal Americans (as opposed to "car enthusiasts") NEVER check the tire pressure! They look at the car, and say "hmmm that tire looks a little low", and then they put the effort in to use the air compressor at the gas station. Since I owned two of those too (gas stations), I've seen it all. Tire gauges at the gas stations are VERY innacurate, and generally unreliable. Since I am not "normal", every one of my cars has its own tire gauge in the trunk. I also have the compressor on the ranch, and I check my tires weekly, but here in the States, there is a whole industry built around new (and used!) tires, and nobody is encuraging the public to check the pressure, and save the tires. Changing tires more than normal is "better for the economy". Same with cars, houses, computers, and pretty much everything else (marriages too!!), Americans are more into "replacing", than "fixing/repairing", and that's GENERALLY SPEAKING. Percentage of divorces, new houses being built (and the old ones razed), number of new cars sold, and the general "consumerism" of the American way of life, would support my opinion.

The car is not far (45 min) and I drive over there at least once a week on business, but the story bothers me. I have a LOT of experience with buying and selling cars, and in my experience,......"one owner car" comes with service records. If it doesn't,.....there is an attempt to hide them! Why? because the "title jumper" can turn the ODO back (either with the computer program, or simply by changing the cluster). If there is no record of the original mileage, that's easy. Just by looking at some telltale signs, I can tell appx how many miles are on the vehicle, that's not the point, but why waste time, getting aggravated, and/or getting involved at all?

"Flipping" by itself doesn't bother me either. Two weeks ago I bought a Jeep Cherokee for my wife, from a flipper. He bought it from the state, transfered the title, and flipped it. Has the connections, time to go to the auctions, and deserves to make some profit. The car was still WAY cheaper (to me) than a similar vehicle bought on the street. Wife wanted Jeep to transport dogs, gardening stuff, and such, and this one came with ALL records, was maintained to the "T", and CHEAP. Why not?

Something's not right with this XJR, and my guts tells me to stay away. I learned to listen to my guts.

Last edited by danielsand; 03-30-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by luc
The nephew can't be the original owner. A 2000 cars would have had a license plate starting with a 4 or even maybe a 3
This car plate start with 6, meaning registered around 2006.
So the car was at least sold/bought once as a used car around 06
Keen eye! I was more focused on the interior, and body lines. This was VERY GOOD observation. Bottom line,......story doesn't add up. When it doesn't, one should walk away, because there is usually bigger stuff that's hidden.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I may be wayfoff on this, but doesn't the California DMV has a system that allows you to look up the smog/title history of the car?
I have been a regular on a board for Porsches for years, and whenever a California car comes up for sale, one guy comes up with its history in no time.
Now, he may have paid for this
service or something, but if it's not free, and you get me the VIN, I'd be happy to ask him for you.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Yes, Wise move- pic #7 looking at the doors, they don't quite look right- the gaps are off.

Talking about the driver's door? I noticed this, but wrote it off as a shadow, making a mental note to check it in person. It might've been hit in the driver's side, but only the personal inspection can reveal that. And I don't think there is a need for my personal inspection, what do you think?

If the deal doesn't pass the bullshit meter on the phone, there is NO WAY it will pass close up and personal. Waste of time.

On another thought,......MAYBE I'm off, too ****, fussy, or all of the above, and someone will end up with a nice "one owner" XJR for pocket change. I wish them both well.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by robot808
I may be wayfoff on this, but doesn't the California DMV has a system that allows you to look up the smog/title history of the car?
I have been a regular on a board for Porsches for years, and whenever a California car comes up for sale, one guy comes up with its history in no time.
Now, he may have paid for this
service or something, but if it's not free, and you get me the VIN, I'd be happy to ask him for you.

I appreciate this. I've done it many times, however.........I haven't asked the seller to give me the VIN over the phone. Some people are VERY reluctant to do this, and I don't ask over the phone unless it's offered in the add. My buying procedure is:

1.Phone call (asking "couple" of questions)

IF the call goes well, I schedule the appointment (I don't carry ANY cash on me, just my Glock).

2.I drive, inspect, record the VIN

3.Make a call, run the VIN through the database (IF everything passes so far!)

4.Go to the nearest bank, and get the cash

5.I take the car to the closest friend's house right away (no "I'll be back later to pick it up"!!)

This car did not pass my "sensors" in the "stage 1", I figured the rest would be the waste of time.

But you know what guys!? This seller's phone# is right in the add. Feel free to call him, and ask the questions. It would be interesting to hear what he tells other people,......and I'll bet my paycheck that the story will change with each call.

Last edited by danielsand; 03-30-2014 at 09:21 AM.