XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Delicious brake discs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delicious brake discs

Well they must be, given the rate that my current car is munching them.

So, starting with the basics, I've got a LHD 4.0 XJ308 from 2002. I've had her for just over 2 years and she currently has 90k miles on her (150,000 km). I've done 38k miles (60k km) since I've owned her.

50k km of those miles has been mostly issue free. Then I noticed that when driving on the motorway there was a minor vibration. Nothing major, and I put it down to wheel balance..

Then she started light vibration when braking. My independent Jag guy said that the front discs had some major scoring on them and replaced. I thought this was odd as I don't brake that hard. However once he replaced it was gone.

Fast forward 5k km and suddenly the vibration has got seriously bad when braking. So back to the tame mechanic only to be told that it must have been a bad batch of discs and he replaced again (free). Fast forward another 5k km and we're back to the same issue. In fact probably worse than before. I was in Germany, and noticed that under acceleration (not too heavy), there was a vibration in the wheel. Light braking at circa 80mph produced a violent shudder. The car does not pull left or right during this time. It's even noticeable at slow speeds.

At no point is there any noise from the brakes. No squeaks, grinding or scoring noises. So she's off the road until my mech can give me an appointment. Sadly I have no idea when this will be, as he is a one man show with lots of work on. I'm desperate to avoid going to a main dealer, as in Switzerland, it basically means I can probably mortgage the house.

Anybody had anything similar?

Thanks

Last edited by GGG; 02-22-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 02-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Received 10,511 Likes on 6,943 Posts

Welcome to teh Forum firstly.

Not a common complaint bt any stretch.

OK, we all know that quality is not what is was, depending on how old we are, and I am older.

The brand and spec of pad used can cause all sorts of issues with rotors, but at 5K is odd.

A vibration on acceleration has nothing to do with the brake system in any way.

A bad front wheel bearing could be the culprit.

The X308 is NOT hard on bearings, at least down here.

A repost of this in the X308 section will certainly get more accurate answers than what I have given.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Swissbrit
Well they must be, given the rate that my current car is munching them.

So, starting with the basics, I've got a LHD 4.0 XJ308 from 2002.....
I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum.

Members here with the same model will be able to share their experiences with brake wear.

Graham

Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hmmmm have a similar issue on my X358

I only ever use Pagid quality brake pads n discs, have had for years on my Audi A6, VW Passat and also on the X types, no issues at all

I've been chasing this down for a while now.
I have changed all the front and rear suspension bushes, they needed doing anyway and that was them rules out.

I've also had new brake pads and discs ( Pagid ) on both front n rear, the fronts were replaced again F.O.C by Pagid after approx 7k miles, then the issue returned.
The fronts hubs were suspect due to possible hub run out, these were replaced and Pagid again threw in another set of brake discs and pads F.O.C
That was around 5k miles ago I estimate and the problem has returned again......really frustrating!
Its also had new tyres in that time too as an aside.

I generally don't brake hard, usually fairly considered braking with some hard braking as may be required, but certainly not track style by any means.
I'm losing the will to live with this myself and it's going back in next Monday whilst the Pagid rep is there to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Personally, I'm leaning towards either a sticky caliper ( although this has been checked ) and or also possible issues with brake lines

Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Just a quick suggestion, but possibly a sticking caliper? Had that happen on my 3-series, was the exact same thing. Sometimes the car would be decent, UNTIL you start braking. Then it would shudder like hell, even after letting off. Sometimes it would free itself up after a moment, other times it wouldn't. Easiest way is to stop, put your hand down near the caliper on each side and feel for a temperature difference. It will be VERY obvious if so. Just don't touch it....

Old 02-23-2016, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I had a sticking piston on my STR with very similar braking issues. Looking closely at the disc, the inner surface was slightly less shiny and that was indeed the piston(s) sticking. Ended up replacing the caliper (& discs & pads).