XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Destoyed my blower. Gen V Eaton on a 2000 XJR. What exactly does it take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

@SeanB and Rlover

Don't get me wrong, as automatics go the XJR has a great one. I'm not completely thrilled with the programming, as it the shifts are a little gawky and it won't bloody well stay in first to redline like I want it to, but the shifts are very positive and it generally shifts like I would anyway. I had planned on doing the blue top mod to help with some of those issues. But I just flat prefer manuals in all situations besides stop and go, and I don't experience stop and go traffic very often at all. I'm kind of a control freak, so I really want a transmission that does what I input all the time, not one that does what I want most of the time. I think the XJR would be an incredible drive with a stick. I really wish there was an easy manual transmission option out there for the AJ8, because it really is a great engine.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
@XJR-0220

On the pulley, my only concern with the 3lb pulley was the machining required and some horror stories I'd heard of the machining causing the snout to crack eventually. Anybody have personal experience one way or the other?
I have about 2800 miles on my car since machining the snout to fit the 3# pulley with no problems or cracks

Old 08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Ive done several 3#ers for people without issue. I have the guys at US distributer of Link G4 engine management systems : Performance Tuning : All wheel dyno : Mustang MD 250 : EngineLogics.com machine the snouts when I have the SC off for coolant hose replacements. Also go read the tech section on Kenne Bell's site on a stock Eaton vs Ported and showed performance DROP!
Its a nice profit job for the companies that offer it imo.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Update: Picked up a 20k mile gen 5 off a 2004 XJR, and got it all buttoned back up over the weekend, this time being very certain there are no bolts in it :P

Installation: This is an EASY swap, I highly recommend anyone who was thinking about doing it go ahead and do it. I just used the gasket for an X350 XJR, and used that as a template for where to clearance my intake elbow from my X308. 20 minutes with a Dremel later (couldn't find a way to chuck it up well in my vertical mill), and I had clearance for the bigger bearings. That's all that's required to get it on. The gen 5 does place the inlet elbow a tiny bit higher, so it was a little bit of a pain to get the bolts that mount the elbow to the blower started (as the little hoses from the bypass valve to the IC boxes get slightly compressed), but all it took was a little more time and cursing. But all in all, easy squeezy. I'll do a separate post going into a little more detail about the particulars of the install tonight when I can upload pics.

Driving impressions:
-First of all, the Gen 5 is much quieter than the gen 3. Much less pronounced blower whine. Personally, I don't like this, I like to hear the blower talk. But if you want less whine, this swap should be top of your list.
-Much less high rpm boost fall off with the gen 5. With the stock blower, the car would kind of fall on it's face a little over 5200 rpm. No such issue with the gen 5, it now pulls VERY hard to redline. No boost fall off here.
-My seat of the pants impression is that it has more power in general. I really wanted to do a dyno comparison, but due to my idiocy I didn't get it to the dyno in stock form before feeding it bolts. So all I have is seat of the pants impression, but it definitely feels like it gained some power.

All in all, a VERY worthwhile upgrade IMO, especially if your Gen 3 could do with a rebuild anyway. Spend that $600 on a low mile Gen 5 instead, you won't be sorry.

Many thanks to Avos and XJR-0220 for all the advice!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cabezagrande:
Rlover (08-13-2012), WaterDragon (08-14-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Not a problem glad your enjoying my friend

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for starting a GREAT thread. I learned a great deal..

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
Update: Picked up a 20k mile gen 5 off a 2004 XJR, and got it all buttoned back up over the weekend, this time being very certain there are no bolts in it :P

Installation: This is an EASY swap, I highly recommend anyone who was thinking about doing it go ahead and do it. I just used the gasket for an X350 XJR, and used that as a template for where to clearance my intake elbow from my X308. 20 minutes with a Dremel later (couldn't find a way to chuck it up well in my vertical mill), and I had clearance for the bigger bearings. That's all that's required to get it on. The gen 5 does place the inlet elbow a tiny bit higher, so it was a little bit of a pain to get the bolts that mount the elbow to the blower started (as the little hoses from the bypass valve to the IC boxes get slightly compressed), but all it took was a little more time and cursing. But all in all, easy squeezy. I'll do a separate post going into a little more detail about the particulars of the install tonight when I can upload pics.

Driving impressions:
-First of all, the Gen 5 is much quieter than the gen 3. Much less pronounced blower whine. Personally, I don't like this, I like to hear the blower talk. But if you want less whine, this swap should be top of your list.
-Much less high rpm boost fall off with the gen 5. With the stock blower, the car would kind of fall on it's face a little over 5200 rpm. No such issue with the gen 5, it now pulls VERY hard to redline. No boost fall off here.
-My seat of the pants impression is that it has more power in general. I really wanted to do a dyno comparison, but due to my idiocy I didn't get it to the dyno in stock form before feeding it bolts. So all I have is seat of the pants impression, but it definitely feels like it gained some power.

All in all, a VERY worthwhile upgrade IMO, especially if your Gen 3 could do with a rebuild anyway. Spend that $600 on a low mile Gen 5 instead, you won't be sorry.

Many thanks to Avos and XJR-0220 for all the advice!

Old 04-24-2024, 07:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi
I read your post about upgrading the Jaguar 4.0 Gen IV Supercharger to the 4.2 Gen V Supercharger.
If you can Please let me know what Parts are Needed and Modifications Required.
Any and All recommendations needed to complete the job will be Greatly Appreciated.
DirtbouNay

Old 04-25-2024, 12:59 PM
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

straight forward job.

Buy the gasket for the inlet to blower for a 4.2 car. Line the blower up with the inlet and mark where the bearings will hit the inlet. Then use a burr bit to clearance.

You will also need to trim the two small hoses for the bypass valve as the Gen V sits up a bit higher.

Getting the 4 blower to elbow bolts started is a pain, as is getting the outlet to intercooler plates lined up.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

I was able to do it without any sort of trimming or machining, but I did replace my needle bearings so maybe I pressed the cup covers in slightly deeper than factory. Using the 4.2 gasket it just all went together, I did put some rtv on the gasket on the intake elbow side to minimize the chance of leak paths there around the caps, that's the only modification I remember. Agreed on difficulty with both seating those bypass hoses and getting the 4 elbow bolts started.

Old 05-24-2024, 02:12 PM

Thank You. Here are the Supercharged Jaguar donor cars I'm considering, 04-09 X350, 04-06 X100, 07-15 X150 and 07-15 X250. Which should I use?

Old 05-24-2024, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,138 Likes on 869 Posts

You can only use a blower from the 4.0 V8 S/C and 4.2 V8 S/C engines. I believe the last year for the 4.2 V8 S/C was 2010. Anything with a 3.0 V6 S/C and a 5.0 V8 S/C you cannot use as the blower is entirely different than what you can use on your engine. For example, the 3.0/5.0 S/C has the throttle body on the front of the blower and the one you need has the TB mounting on the back of the blower.

Old 05-24-2024, 02:38 PM

Addicted2boost which year & model 4.2L Supercharged Jaguar would you use? What are my best option. Thanks A2B

Old 05-24-2024, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,138 Likes on 869 Posts

Personally I’d go with a 4.0 blower because I like the gear whine, it’s a direct fit and there’s practically no power gain from a 4.2 blower. I’m pretty sure all the 4.2 blowers are identical. The intercoolers are different but, you can’t use those anyways. The 4.2 blower that has the least amount of mileage is the one you should get if you’re set on a 4.2. Change the blower oil before installing.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:29 AM

A2B, I thought the 4.2 Gen V was a Performance Upgrade.?
My 4.0 Gen IV needs to be rebuilt according to a Jag Mech. But I don't know any Jaguar Supercharger Rebuilders in the Northeast or anywhere else in the States. If you know any reputable shops or person in the USA that rebuilds these superchargers, I'd appreciate that info/contact. Otherwise, I believe the next best option would be to source the 4.2.
What say you?

Old 05-28-2024, 11:39 AM

It's not noticeable performance wise. Maybe a handful of hp

Old 05-28-2024, 01:00 PM

Hey Quad, Thanks for your input about the performance expectations of the 4.2L Supercharger. Any recommendations on the later inquiry as to who or what shops in the US can I send my 4.0L Supercharger to be rebuilt?

Last edited by Dirtboy Nay; 05-28-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:43 PM

Only one I can think of is superchargers online. I have a spare 4.0 blower if you need one

Old 05-30-2024, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtboy Nay
Hey Quad, Thanks for your input about the performance expectations of the 4.2L Supercharger. Any recommendations on the later inquiry as to who or what shops in the US can I send my 4.0L Supercharger to be rebuilt?
Hi also from NYC( I am a New York guy also) . I can probably answer your question since I just had my SC rebuilt 2 years ago, you can look up my post. I used highspeed lab but you can also try to speak with a couple other vendors I list below,I spoke to each of them . they also know each others' existence being competitors in a small market.
  • Jon Bond Performance LLC
  • highspeed lab
  • Stiegemeier Porting Service
I would suggest to give each of them a call and discuss the service option, run around time, pricing so you can choose which vendor. Also it is a going to be a big project once you open up the rabbit hole. down on the road you probably need to replace and your one chance if not the only chance to replace those old parts under the SC(also think what parts to order) . you also need to consider who is going to remove the SC from your jag. storage of your total disable jag while the SC is sent for rebuild.

you need to plan everything ahead otherwise it is not going to be a fun project.

Good Luck