XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Differential Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

All you can do is reprogram to the latest software, IDS will ask what gearbox you have and update it, no more I think Adam.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I also have a buddy that tunes MB cars. Can you guys tell me more about the TCM in my car? Who is it made by, the chipset, model # etc? If the VCM won't do the trick I plan on reaching out to him.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

@Sean,
Are you sure? So far I have not found any files for the MB TCM on the IDS, nor any option to update it, contrary to the zf box, there you find lots of files, and can be updated.

@Adam699,
It is a standard Mercedes EGS51 unit, your MB tuner will know enough then.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by avos
@Sean,
Are you sure? So far I have not found any files for the MB TCM on the IDS, nor any option to update it, contrary to the zf box, there you find lots of files, and can be updated.

@Adam699,
It is a standard Mercedes EGS51 unit, your MB tuner will know enough then.
This is getting complicated.

So I talked to the MB tuner buddy, quote was $1000 as apparently the equipment to flash is $5k and each time he flashes he pays $800 for the file from Germany. Something about having the right Checksum. Anyone care to shed some light on how this works so I can have a better understanding?

My buddy with the VCM didn't have time to stop by.

I also called my other buddy who is a MB tech and has access to all their scanners. His idea is to plug the module into a Benz car and see if this might enable us to go into it.

Last edited by adam699; 02-22-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

You have some good buddies

Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by plums
You have some good buddies

I can be pretty resourceful at times It helps to have friends who are gearheads.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by adam699
I also called my other buddy who is a MB tech and has access to all their scanners. His idea is to plug the module into a Benz car and see if this might enable us to go into it.
It will plug in as the connectors will be the same, so would be worth a try.

Would he also be able to work on shift strategies?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 AM

It will plug in as the connectors will be the same, so would be worth a try.

Would he also be able to work on shift strategies?
No clue. He is a very busy guy and it's always hard to get a hold off since he works for the dealer, does roadside and still manages to fix cars on the side.

I'll find out tomorrow if the guy with the VCM has Star scanner. He has a bunch of them as he is a locksmith/ freelance electronics guy.

This is getting complicated and for now this car is a daily driver. I already got 2 other cars that don't drive so I'm sort of in a rush to get it roadworthy. If I can't resolve this till Monday I'll just pick up another hu14 diff so I can drive this till I fix the other 2 cars.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Here is maybe another option, I have just contacted a German tuner I have been in contact with several years ago. Am awaiting a price for the gear ratio change, and I expect that you just have to send the TCM to him.

He also says he can do more now, so adjust shift strategies and lowering the torque reduction requests etc. I hope it will work out now (back then he wasn’t able/willing yet), as I am eager to have these adjustments.

As you need your car, it might be easier now to just go for a standard diff again, buy a secondhand TCM (you can get these cheap), and use that one for modifications. That gives more time to go for a different setup at least.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Here is maybe another option, I have just contacted a German tuner I have been in contact with several years ago. Am awaiting a price for the gear ratio change, and I expect that you just have to send the TCM to him.

He also says he can do more now, so adjust shift strategies and lowering the torque reduction requests etc. I hope it will work out now (back then he wasn’t able/willing yet), as I am eager to have these adjustments.

As you need your car, it might be easier now to just go for a standard diff again, buy a secondhand TCM (you can get these cheap), and use that one for modifications. That gives more time to go for a different setup at least.

That's the plan. Let me know what your guy says. I have a feeling that the prices for this are so outrageous because only a few guys know how to do this and before the "work" reaches their hands and everyone in the food-chain
gets their share there is a 400% markup in the process.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Please keep us posted as I am also interested in having the shift points & strategy remapped as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM

OK guys. Some progress here I found 1 solution so far. $750 but I think it goes above and beyond what the $1000+ flash would offer.

PCS - Powertrain Control Solutions - Transmission Control

Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 PM

Also, do you guys know what were the ratios available with the locking diff on the x300 since I'm considering that diff as a best way to go for the swap? Just to be correct that diff is stronger than the one in x308 right?

Quick Update:

I finally took apart the diff today to see what the issue was. After reading Count Iblis's thread "https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/x308-xjr-knackered-rear-diff-59936/" I was pretty positive that it's not the bearings that gave out.

Here's what was causing the ticking noise:

Here are the ### from the ring gear. Hopefully this will give me info:

Last edited by adam699; 02-23-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

OK guys. Some progress here I found 1 solution so far. $750 but I think it goes above and beyond what the $1000+ flash would offer.

PCS - Powertrain Control Solutions - Transmission Control
umm ... would the fine print be a problem?

The transmission controller is not designed to function in a factory environment. It does not communicate with factory body control modules, engine control modules, modern dashboards, or vehicle communication networks. If you remove your factory transmission controller, your check engine light will turn on. Many factory functions, such as cruise control, may not work. The engine may run in a limp mode.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

How about a picture of the overall guts?

Still looking for an unusual carrier configuration.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 PM

How about a picture of the overall guts?

Still looking for an unusual carrier configuration.
Looking at the case it appears as the diff is probably pretty easy to set up. I'm not sure how strong the case is. I bet the way the carrier is mounted it's probably stronger than if it had regular caps, however it seems like the pinion is the weak link.

Let me know what you'd like to see and I'll take more pics.

I'll probably strip this thing to measure it up. I have a bunch of diffs and gearsets. I wonder if 7.5" GM stuff would fit in there.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Let me know what you'd like to see and I'll take more pics.

I'll probably strip this thing to measure it up. I have a bunch of diffs and gearsets. I wonder if 7.5" GM stuff would fit in there.
The particular thing that I'm interested in seeing is the area where the drum containing the clutch pack would normally be. Is it just like a conventional open diff or is it a closed drum?

If you can get a GM positrac to fit you would be instantly elected to the hall of fame. Or at least get a whole bunch of PM's

edit: please post all numbers for the purpose of searching the world wide wobble.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 AM

The particular thing that I'm interested in seeing is the area where the drum containing the clutch pack would normally be. Is it just like a conventional open diff or is it a closed drum?

If you can get a GM positrac to fit you would be instantly elected to the hall of fame. Or at least get a whole bunch of PM's

edit: please post all numbers for the purpose of searching the world wide wobble.
I'll post all specs when I disassemble it. It is an open diff with clearly visible spidergears if that's what you're asking.

Here's another interesting site I found regarding squeezing a Dana44 into the HU15?

Jaguar Differential Build

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 AM

Here is another idea....

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0730

Incorrect Gear Ratio

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0730refers to
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows: Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B A: Output shaft revolution signal from speed sensor (revolution sensor) B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM) C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which TCM supposes If the actual gear position is higher than the position supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.
Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0730
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Incorrect transmission shifting
Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0730
- Low transmission fluid level - Dirty transmission fluid - Shift solenoids - Shift solenoids harness or connectors - Transmission mechanical problems - Transmission hydraulic control circuit The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The TCM has detected that the transmission is trying to mechanically shift to a lower gear than intended

So, I'm thinking if disconnecting the communications line from the TCM to the ECU would fool it into thinking that it's ok...? Crap shot and it might trigger another code but might save us from being stuck in 1 gear because of limp mode.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Ad, from what I can find in my books the ratio's offered on the X300 LSD's are as follows,

3:27.1
3:58.1
3:77.1
4:09.1

I need to know what the manual gearbox version is because I going to buy one later today ;-) I hope to add to this thread.

Quick Reply: Differential Rebuild Thread