XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Differential Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Me too, am only looking for some optimizations (and removal of needless torque reductions at some areas), but in Sports mode I will do some more, that way you will always have a choice.

Most of the time I am driving in normal mode even. The higher you go in engine power the more optimization you can use, but that’s something you will find out once you are there yourself. Also remembering you where planning to up the rpm, you would need to tune your TCM for that.

So if you want a buzz bomb, you need to up power and change your gear ratio, as that will not happen with a TCM tune.
A 'buzz bomb' occurs when the gearing is low(in concert with a remap) and you're driving on the freeway. It's down to personal choice-some here prefer the 3.74 or even 4.09 ratios- I don't. Over geared, under geared or ideal geared- makes no odds to me when the car is speed limited and the roads out here have low speed limits anyway.

'I can find out when I'm there myself'- very nice! I have been rather busy with other projects and you do enjoy a good poke at Thunder kitten and such like. Yes, perhaps I never learned when I was involved in the powertrain development of the XK 180 or the Jaguar XKR'R or even the R types and Aston martin V8 Vantage but someone online will put me to rights yet again about screw compressors and TCM mapping and re-gearing. Thank you my friend

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
'I can find out when I'm there myself'- very nice! I have been rather busy with other projects and you do enjoy a good poke at Thunder kitten and such like. Yes, perhaps I never learned when I was involved in the powertrain development of the XK 180 or the Jaguar XKR'R or even the R types and Aston martin V8 Vantage but someone online will put me to rights yet again about screw compressors and TCM mapping and re-gearing. Thank you my friend

No wasn’t meant like that at all, was just surprised that you were not thinking of a TCM tune, so that is why I said you will find out when you are there, and as not only you read these posts I thought it would be of benefit to others . So you have drawn a wrong conclusion here, except for thunderkitten of course LoL, but that has a history.
I find it unfortunate that you become so negative, but so be it.

Last edited by avos; 03-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

No wasn’t meant like that at all, was just surprised that you were not thinking of a TCM tune, so that is why I said you will find out when you are there, and as not only you read these posts I thought it would be of benefit to others . So you have drawn a wrong conclusion here, except for thunderkitten of course LoL, but that has a history.
I find it unfortunate that you become so negative, but so be it.
I'm an engineer- of course I'm negative!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

@ Avos - will you run the shift adaptation process I've read about on here, but not tried?

What will you be looking for after the re-program of the gearbox?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Wel, for me today is the day after tomorrow, yesterday was tomorrow, or are you saying I was a day to early ? ;-)
and check if the TCM arrived...

Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
@ Avos - will you run the shift adaptation process I've read about on here, but not tried?
Will do a couple of tests with measurements, to see if I can get more objective figures to work with. We will first start with the adaptation values that were already in the TCM, then to be sure that my current TCM has about the same adaptation values, I could reset both and compare that again (will be last test).

Originally Posted by Sean B
@ What will you be looking for after the re-program of the gearbox?
Ideas are there, budget not unfortunately, so it will take some time before I decide. To bring it again a major step forwards serious engine modifications are needed, being it for more boost or more displacement. Am certainly not going for more boost pressure, as that means more noise (also at cruising speeds), so that is out. Increasing engine displacement has been on my mind for long now, and I already have some rough ideas on how to do it and plan at least to go to 4.8.

Originally Posted by adam699
and check if the TCM arrived...
Sorry, but that day was only to let you know if he could write also to the TCM as a test, this was for myself a milestone so thought it was important enough to share. The TCM has later been updated with a more suitable base map, and also some fine tunings as request. It is in the post, and I hope to get it today, sorry for the long delays

Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

Friday to wednesday a delay! if it was England, we'd still be waiting to hear if he received the TCM!!!
Waiting patiently here.......fingers crossed Andre'

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Oh boy, there was a postal strike this morning, so nothing for today I am afraid.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Oh boy, there was a postal strike this morning, so nothing for today I am afraid.
Hopefully good things come to those who wait

Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM

this wait is making me lose my mind
Hopefully good things come to those who wait

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

this wait is making me lose my mind
I Keep repeating "Good things come to those who wait ", that blocks the mind very well, thanks!

Am checking what can be wrong, I should have received it by now.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

You should have seen the smile on my face when my wife told me that there was a package for me. Unfortunately it wasn't the one, after checking they mentioned that the guy who should have send it last Friday had forgotten it, so it left only yesterday and should arrive early next week, am slowly geting

Old 03-09-2012, 03:07 PM

You should have seen the smile on my face when my wife told me that there was a package for me. Unfortunately it wasn't the one, after checking they mentioned that the guy who should have send it last Friday had forgotten it, so it left only yesterday and should arrive early next week, am slowly geting

LOL. Well, today I found a locking 3.58 locally. I suppose it's a good thing for $400 with a front plate. So I'm going to buy it in hopes that the TCM can be reprogrammed reasonably. So for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed

EDIT: I'm "exhausted" with the whole differential fiasco. To turn things around and find a positive thing about the whole rear end being out of the car and the car on the lift, I ordered a full Borla cat-back. Should be way easier to get it in the car with the rear end out of the way. I think I got a good deal too so once it arrives I'll do a post on it and share the info where I got it from with anyone looking for a "deal" on one of these.

Last edited by adam699; 03-09-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Ok, here are the pics of what I'm picking up tomorrow.

Looks clean, but pretty leaky. I guess I'm wondering how hard is it to change the seals/axle bearings on the HU15 units. Do these units also suffer from the breather issue?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

dunno about the breather, best to fit a new one, but the front seal isn't a tough job. Just make sure it goes in square. A dolly to knock it in is the best way made for the job.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 PM

I picked up the locking 3:58 today i'll take the lid off to inspect it but just spinnig it by hand it feels nice and tight.
Came out of 1994 xj12 with 130k on the clock.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

Have received the package, hopefully later today I can test drive

Update: Installed it, but unfortunately got an error. So the good news is that something has changed, just not good enough... Probably have to send the unit back again (although am awaiting feedback first), so this could take some time before we will finally know.

Last edited by avos; 03-13-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Have received the package, hopefully later today I can test drive

Update: Installed it, but unfortunately got an error. So the good news is that something has changed, just not good enough... Probably have to send the unit back again (although am awaiting feedback first), so this could take some time before we will finally know.
Hmm, what kind of an error?

I should get most of the parts for assembling this thing today.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Should be a simple one I would guess, P1643. This could either be the unit having an issue due to transport (small chance), or it is in the specific programming. Am awaiting feedback now.

Changing just the gear ratio was a much simpler task, is this something you want me to discuss? Or do you want to wait for a fully tuned version?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Should be a simple one I would guess, P1643. This could either be the unit having an issue due to transport (small chance), or it is in the specific programming. Am awaiting feedback now.

Changing just the gear ratio was a much simpler task, is this something you want me to discuss? Or do you want to wait for a fully tuned version?

Well, it will all depend if I can figure out a way to slap it together and make it driveable in some respect. If I can live with it than I can wait for a full tune. If I can't than the gear change would be the way to go.

As far as the P1643, try to re-seat the TCM connectors. Sounds like the CAN bus can't communicate. I'd also try cycling the battery.

Last edited by adam699; 03-13-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Differential Rebuild Thread