XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Directions on Instrument Cluster removal in a 2000 Jaguar XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Directions on Instrument Cluster removal in a 2000 Jaguar XJR?

Does anyone have a good pointer/link to directions on Instrument Cluster removal in a 2000 Jaguar XJR? The cluster has several bulbs that have burned out and thus it looks rather dim at night, with sections that are completely dark. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the cluster out to replace the bulbs. Any help here would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Received 318 Likes on 243 Posts

The wood veneer should pop out.

The Trip switches and fog lamp swtiches will need to be removed before fully removing wood trim, see below. I recommend putting the steering wheel all the way out, and down, then disconnect battery.

Using a small screwdriver, depress fog lamp switch upper retaining tang and release switch from gauge surround.

Position fog lamp switch for access, disconnect harness multiplug and remove switch.

Using a small screwdriver, depress trip keyboard upper retaining tang and release keyboard from gauge surround.

Position trip keyboard for access and disconnect harness multiplug.

Slacken and remove four screws securing major gauge module/surround to fascia and withdraw surround.

Withdraw major gauge module for access, disconnect the two harness multiplugs and remove gauge module from fascia.

The following users liked this post:
Samilcar (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question, but does all the surrounding dash need to be removed first? I couldn't figure out how to remove the leather wrapped plastic and such without breaking it. Or does that stay and I just pop out the wood veneer?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,816 Likes on 1,331 Posts

For the dash, like JBzXJ40 shows, you only need to pop off the wood veneer and remove the screws. For the instrument cluster the outer four corners are in a deep well, which the details don't always clearly show.
Bookmark this, you'll find it very useful...JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Also, be sure to check this useful thread out also, its one of the Stickies at the top of this forum... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20090/
A simple search at the top right will bring you many results also to review from other members with the same questions.

Last edited by Highhorse; 08-13-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Kagetsume
Stupid question, but does all the surrounding dash need to be removed first? I couldn't figure out how to remove the leather wrapped plastic and such without breaking it. Or does that stay and I just pop out the wood veneer?
No! as answered, it's the wood panel that you pull off, a sharp tug in between the rpm and mph windows should unseat it, simple press fit back into spring slips.
I would suggest a magnetic tipped Pozi screwdriver for the 4 screws that hold the bezel in place or it can be very frustrating.

Also what year is your car, there are two types of electrical connector at the base, early cars didn't have locking mechanisms and a large black plug, the later ones are locking and yellow, you will need to unlatch them before pulling away from the speedo module, either one needs care to unplug and remove so go easy and take your time. It's an important module in the cars electrical system.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

double post.