XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The Dirt Just Kept On Rising! Paint Correction '99 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The Dirt Just Kept On Rising! Paint Correction '99 XJ8

I know there are a lot of threads here on paint correction and detailing (and the dreaded automatic car wash!), but I thought it might be interesting to share my recent experience as a Jaguar Noob. The '99 XJ8 I bought had obviously not been well tended cosmetically, but it had "good bones", as we say. The seller described its color as "platinum", the paint code MDX indicated Meteorite Pearl Metallic. After the usual prep (wash, clay bar, taping, etc.) I set to work with a random orbital buffer. After the first pass with the most aggressive compound/polish, I left it overnight, satisfied that I had made a great start. The many foam pads I used were filthy, as were the wipe cloths. The next morning I was startled to see that a great amount of dirt and contamination had apparently risen-up through the previously corrected paint!

I have detailed a lot of cars of all makes, models, and paint types, but I have never seen anything quite like this. I ended-up with another aggressive pass and then two more treatments with decreasingly aggressive polish. After each treatment, more contamination arose overnight (BTW I did cover the car at night...) Then I used a synthetic cleaner wax/sealer, glaze, and a synthetic top coat wax/sealer.

I will add some pics of the "after". I wish I had taken them at every step, but I was too puzzled by the outcomes and more interested in making progress. Is this common with Jaguar paint jobs? The clear coat is deep and well intact (the benefit, I suppose, of years of neglect!). The final finish is quite pleasing, but the emerging contamination was a head scratcher.

Attached Thumbnails The Dirt Just Kept On Rising!  Paint Correction '99 XJ8-fullsizerender-3-.jpg   The Dirt Just Kept On Rising!  Paint Correction '99 XJ8-img_3419.jpg   The Dirt Just Kept On Rising!  Paint Correction '99 XJ8-img_3418.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about, my car was much the same. The service history read like a dream and the paperwork with the car can almost fill a box file, but the body was bad. I had to get dings removed, parts painted and I've since found a few other dings so the PDR man will have to come back.

My detailer worked for 7.5 hours on the rest of the car and was saying how embedded the dirt was. He's coming back on the 4th Feb to give the car a wash and reckons he will have to go over the car with the machine again.

I remember seeing these cars when they were brand new, you could have a shave in the paint reflection. That's what I'm aiming for.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting, thanks! Hang in there! The paint comes back nicely, but it takes a while. The pics I posted represent about 40+ hours of work, but I'm by no means a pro. I would be interested to see how yours turns-out.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

I concur on the resilience of the paint on these vehicles, (except my 2 spider cracks). I have the HGG color and I can tell when she needs a new polishing. The blueish (oily tint) she exudes thru the green metal flake overlay, seems not as deep and prominent after a few months. So its time for glaze, polish and wax about every 6 months.
I may go Stu's route this time and get a detailer.
She looks nice though CarGuy.

The following users liked this post:
CarGuy (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Ah, Meteorite Pearl... Mine is the same...Just the clear coat is slowly starting to fail on the roof and I have a few more red spots (base coat) in areas I need to treat some time...

Old 01-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

These folks may be a bit pricey, but they have the colors. Just be sure to put 'all models' in and not your specific model or it doesn't come up. They have everything from touchup paint pens, spray cans and up to gallons. Touch Up Paint and accessories | AutomotiveTouchup
Here's there direct one for Jaguar touchup paint.. Jaguar Touch Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup
To the left of the paint chips, when you get there, under Types of Paint, prompt the size and that's where your prices will be.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Had my trunk/boot painted due to clear coat failure last year. Now I'm getting the same on my hood & roof. I found this interesting video linked below. I may do an experimental test run on the hood myself before I have it booked for my paint guy, just for kicks.

Last edited by King Charles; 01-26-2017 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rocklandjag (01-28-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:53 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy
I know there are a lot of threads here on paint correction and detailing (and the dreaded automatic car wash!),
Why is the automatic car wash so dreaded? I have frequented the auto-wash since buying this car. My children find the tricolor foam to be amazing.

Hopefully not jinxing myself, but the paint on mine is quite splendid for a car of its age. Of all the common XJ8 problems, I guess I was lucky enough to dodge this one.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Automatic car-washes, notably the ones with brushes/pads/fingers, are notorious because those mediums will pick up dirt and grime and rocks, and basically drag them across paint. So yes, it cleans off the larger dirt off your car, but you run the very real risk of having scratches placed upon your car, ranging in severity.

Touchless car washes are another story, but only in so much that they aren't touching your car. They're fine for rinsing heavy stuff off, of course, but nothing will top a proper two-bucket handwashing.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

I have a local wash (Images) that changes its brushes regularly, and the clientele that goes there is a result of it. You'll always see Jags, Mercs, Audis, Beemers, Land Rovers, Porsches there. You never see 4x4 mudders or rust buckets there.

As for touchless ones, can't stand them and will only use them when absolutely necessary. They never really clean the vehicle, they just take off the dirt off the dirt, which stays and the finish looks dull when done and they never get the brake dust off the wheels. You have to touch the vehicle to get it clean.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Still, I don't trust anything touching my car that's not my own hands, and I certainly don't have a high quality shine to start with. I'm a 10-footer. But I know a lot of people with similar cars here that do. A lot of them do it for convenience, not because they think it's safe for the paint. And because they aren't exactly in the car for the long term preservation of it. It's not to say that if something happened, they couldn't get it detailed out. But it only takes one muddy truck to go through three cars before you, and then it doesn't matter how often they change. Just a personal preference, and opinion. Obviously there's a market for it, because they exist, but after seeing it firsthand happen, I just don't trust myself to do it. I'll go through a regular wash and hose junk off the car in a pinch, or through winter I do once a week just to wash the grime off from the car and underbody, but washing is done by hand on any car I actually like.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

What I would do is give it a good rub around with a clay bar and polish it with meguiars ultimate compound and then wax it but before doing all that wash it with a good meguiars or any other car wash soap. just don't use dish or laundry detergent. it will bring a very nice glossy shine. to go one step further put some tyre shine on the tyres and you'll have a sweet clean ride. how i got my metallic speks back!

Old 01-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

In my local area the "Hand Car Wash" is king when it comes to washing your car. These guys tend to be Polish, Czech, Russian, Turkish, or other but they work hard. The rinse with super powerful pressure washers, then apply snow foam, wash mitts to rub then apply wax after rinsing. Then you get a hand dry, tyre shine, door jambs wiped and inside windows cleaned. An air freshener to finish and all for £5. Automatic car washes are a rare sight in these parts.

However for the Jaguar, I have my detailer come and he charges more than £5 but he also is guaranteed not to mark the paint. If he does, he repairs it. He's also responsible for my Triumph.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgimali
What I would do is give it a good rub around with a clay bar and polish it with meguiars ultimate compound and then wax it but before doing all that wash it with a good meguiars or any other car wash soap. just don't use dish or laundry detergent. it will bring a very nice glossy shine. to go one step further put some tyre shine on the tyres and you'll have a sweet clean ride. how i got my metallic speks back!
I'm a big Meguiar's fan also, been using their products for years. The quick detailer is sweet for a touch up before a night out and the Ultimate black dressing pops. Thing is, for Xmas, a friend of mine got me a JaxWax kit, .....he's a big car buff, so I'll give it a go.