XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Dirty Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts

Well Ian, you sound like you have a lot in common with most guys on here. You just haven't been bitten by the bug yet. Give it time. Maybe I would be disappointed if I paid $75K for my Jag, but I didn't pay near that, and it feels like I stole it.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by IanT
I feel like I am in a church and if I dare speak up against the accepted dogma then I am a traitor!
You are. People don't go to church to speak up against the "dogma." They go because it fits their belief system.
I'm not totally car-ignorant.
Really?

I think that's why I make people angry.
Really? I think you are a troll.
Vector

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 AM
ud
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Waterdragon: There's many things I don't like in the wiring, like the size of the wires. The reason for larger wires is to provide some redundancy against breakage, not so much the electrical needs.

You've probably bent a twist tie back and forth until it broke. A larger twist tie can bend more times than a thin one.

Plus they used electrical tape to bundle the wire! When I was about 12 I turned my bike's handlebars upside down and covered them with electrical tape because I wanted a 10 speed racing bike. After a few days in the sun the electrical tape was like one big fly trap with black dye! Working on the Jag reminded me of that 'cause my hands were all black and sticky - nice!

They should have thought about that because they sell Jags in Arizona where the trunk temp could be 125˙.

I'm putting my trunk back together after some repairs and I've attached some pics. I had some split wire loom that I used. I ran out and need to get some more.

The 1st pic is the same place I posted in the earlier post but now with wire loom. I use electrical ties, the zip type although if you can get heavier duty black twist ties I actually like them better except where the wire needs more support. It's nice if you have the ends, joiners, right angles and T's that go with the loom and I have a bag of scavenged ones somewhere...

If you use zip type electrical ties please do me a favor and sand the ends if you cut them off. The cut ends can be razor sharp. One of my pet peeves is people who don't and then you reach under the hood and cut your arm from wrist to elbow.

The second pic is the left rear tailight wiring cleaned up with wire loom.

The 3rd pic is the right side, how I found it when I opened up the car... not pretty.

The problem with the way Jag did it is that the wire can get abraded and fail. The split wire loom acts like armor. It's not controlled where a wire will end up. There's too many variables and one is a wire getting pinched. Plus it's easy to snag a wire when you're working under the car if they are all spread apart and not in loom. And it looks tidy.

The way they did the wires in the trunk aren't a biggie. But if they did the same quality work in the engine I'm worried.

Thanks also WaterDragon for your words of encouragement re posting.

JimmyL, yes I'll bet I do have a lot in common with people here too, and you may be right about not been bitten yet.

Many things that I hated at first I later came to especially like. Swimming and bikes come to mind. I feel like I stole my Jag too - $3300 for a 56K mi car with brand new Michelins is not too shabby.

Vector, no I wouldn't go into a church and start asking hard questions... but this is a car forum and I'm here to learn so I'm asking what I wonder.

I'm sure there many here that have way more experience in every aspect of auto-everything than moi. Cars have never been my primary focus.

Re calling me a "troll", I lost a family member yesterday and am in no mood for name calling.

I saw Judge Judy on Larry King once and she said that she hated emails because they take away all the inflection that brings the true meaning to speech. It's very easy for people to get the wrong impression from emails or forum posts. Vector, if you were at a table talking face to face with me, if you saw my life, my wife, my dogs... I really don't think you'd think that I'm phony.

Attached Thumbnails  Dirty Air Filter-split-loom.jpg    Dirty Air Filter-left-side-tailight-wiring.jpg    Dirty Air Filter-right-side-tailight-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by IanT; 08-06-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question - but the thread was dirty air filter . . . Does K & N make a filter for my 01 VDP? and has it passed the forum test? I see that the oil filter is interchangable with the Lincoln LS; air the same?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Ian - start your own Jag quality bashing thread will you? This one is about air filters.
Vector

Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke the breather hose by the valve cover on the left side is it possible to repair the hose, maybe ather hose and some jb weld ect???? or do i NEED to replace the entire hose which seems very difficult?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

I'm assuming you are talking about the scavenge line from the left valve cover? That runs under the intake manifold, to a connector at the throttle body, and then on to another device that I'm not even sure what it does, but anyway, if you can repair/patch into the existing line it would be the best bet. To replace the line would be pretty complicated.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Default Scavenger line repair

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
I'm assuming you are talking about the scavenge line from the left valve cover? That runs under the intake manifold, to a connector at the throttle body, and then on to another device that I'm not even sure what it does, but anyway, if you can repair/patch into the existing line it would be the best bet. To replace the line would be pretty complicated.

Thanks appreciate the advise can you let me know how you would reconnect the hose it is a clean break, JB weld and some electrical tape or use some kind of rubber hose to bond the two sides together thanks

Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Where is the break? Can you post a photo?

The following users liked this post:
Craig Mason (07-11-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:06 PM

This is the break it is clean. Thanks for the help

Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, that is of little problem, simply sleeve some larger vacuum hose over the stub from the valve cover and the ribbed plastic tubing. Clamp the new hosing on the stub from the valve cover with a regular hose clamp, and make sure the new hose extends a couple of inches or so over the ribbed plastic tubing to ensure a seal. An additional hose clamp over the new hose on the ribbed plastic lightly tightened should be fine.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 02-12-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Craig Mason (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Here is what to do for maintenance.

bob gauff
Thanks for this info Bob...I have an '01 XJ8 VIN ...1LF29932. Looking at the bulletin you provided, the sequence affected ends F25708 in my model year. A couple of questions:

1) does this mean I'm safe from having to do 10k maintenance on the part-load breather hose?
2) Any idea what they did during this MY to "fix" the problem?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

You might be free of cleaning the part load (I did mine anyways, since it was easy to do). But the other piece of the TBD was to clean the throttle plate).

Craig Mason (07-11-2019)
Old 10-18-2020, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken T connector hose

Hello, first ever post on the page.

ive attempted to replace the heater hose connector under the x308 SC (XJR 100) throttle body and found that I’ve broken the T connection that leads to the evap purge canister. It leads to somewhere under the supercharger and I’m having great difficulty tracing. based on what I’ve read, this leads to the nipple in the front of the left bank. I’ve learned that this line that goes into the T connector is directly where the brake booster hose goes to in the intake manifold. Can someone please verify this?

Where does this hose lead to?

Broken Hose from T connector

Nipple on intake manifold where T connector attaches

Yellow- brake booster hose leading into manifold and the nipple circled in Red where T connector goes

Old 10-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

The Tee connector hose connects to the throttle body on the driver side (LHD) and routes forward under the intake manifold and connects to the part load breather on the left-hand valve cover, and aft to the purge valve on the bulkhead.

It has nothing to do with the brake booster vacuum line.

motorcarman (10-18-2020)