XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

DIY engine support ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017 | 04:08 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default DIY engine support ideas

I think I'm ready to tackle dropping the front subframe to do the rear bushings soon. Got all the parts, press coming in the mail eventually, tools mostly together. The only big thing I don't have is a support for the engine to hold everything while the subframe is out. I don't really want to spend the money on a cherry picker right now, but I think I've seen some DIY setups for engine support before... However I wasn't able to find them here, and with the Jag-lovers move it looks like a lot of photos are MIA there right now.

Anybody have ideas for a support? Maybe photos of something they've done before?

Old 10-15-2017 | 08:48 AM

This looks like a cheap way to hold it up....I would measure the width of the engine bay vs the bar. Specs say 59" wide on bar.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...bar-96524.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Ric in RVA:
Don B (10-16-2017), nilanium (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017 | 09:17 AM

That is the one I have. I use it all the time for VW timing belt changes. I have used it to replace the subframe mount bushes on the Jaguars.

Be aware of the correct bush alignment when replacing.
TSB 204-04 has the procedure. Use this as a guide.

I have done this with the subframe just 'dropped' in the rear to access the rear bushes. A SHARP chisel will cut a slot in the old bush and some cups/plates and threaded rod will pull the new one back in place.

It's too bulky to try to use a shop press in the vertical position out of the car.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
204-04 XJ susp tool.pdf (29.7 KB, 149 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (10-15-2017), nilanium (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017 | 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
That is the one I have. I use it all the time for VW timing belt changes. I have used it to replace the subframe mount bushes on the Jaguars.

Be aware of the correct bush alignment when replacing.
TSB 204-04 has the procedure. Use this as a guide.

I have done this with the subframe just 'dropped' in the rear to access the rear bushes. A SHARP chisel will cut a slot in the old bush and some cups/plates and threaded rod will pull the new one back in place.

It's too bulky to try to use a shop press in the vertical position out of the car.

bob

Great info.

What is best way to tell if front bushes need doing. I was prying around on mine the other day but they are so buried in that pocket I couldn't tell much.

Rears are getting powerflex once they arrive. I have done nothing up front except shocks, shock bushings and three tie wraps in each steering rack mount. (Best improvement/ cost ratio you can do to these cars!!!)

Old 10-15-2017 | 05:37 PM
|
Veteran Member

This thread has a few pictures and some descriptions of problems I was getting from suspect front bushings https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...joints-176838/ though even in that thread it was hard to see. I'll know for sure when I get them out of their mount locations.

That engine holding tool looks pretty good, probably worth getting even if I end up just pivoting the subframe forward. Is the cup press something I can piece together easily with piping and parts from the hardware store? I've got the bushings here already as a partial sizing reference.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017 | 09:00 PM

I have the same HF engine support bar. It worked well for the subframe bushing job on our '93, but I had to get creative with an engine support sling, also from HF. My larger Jag-Lovers images are victims of the alleged server upgrade, but you can see my thumbnails and descriptions here:

Front Suspension Subframe/Crossbeam Bush Renewal

I have seen photos of improvised engine supports using a section of an aluminum extension ladder or a 4X4 wooden fence post as the cross beam, but the HF support bar offers the adjustable hooks and a greater measure of safety, so I highly recommend it. You can always resell it on Craigslist after you've used it.

Cheers,

Don

nilanium (10-16-2017)
Old 10-15-2017 | 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

I had great results using the HF support bar for the trans removal. No too expensive especially if it makes a difficult job easier.

Don B (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017 | 10:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

Looks like I'm sold on the HF support (and a 3 ton sling because of how cheap they are). Do I just run the sling around the intake manifold area, or underneath around the engine? (EDIT: answered this when looking thru Don's album again, under the sump it goes)

Don, your albums were the first place I went to look actually, they're usually my go-to for big suspension service walk-throughs, but like you said, the thumbs are the only intact images online at the moment. I missed that linked album when I was doing a search the first time though.

Don B (10-16-2017)
Old 10-17-2017 | 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

This is a support I made up with metal that was in my shop when I was changing a rod bearing and need to lower the subframe to get the pan and sump off.. I used rachet straps to hold the engine. This way when bringing it up I could do it slowly. I put a chain around it just in case a strap broke.

Edit. Forgot to mention this was on an XK8

Attached Images     

Last edited by BobRoy; 10-17-2017 at 06:50 AM.
avern1 (10-17-2017)