XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Do I need to install trans go a drum valve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018 | 08:45 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Do I need to install trans go a drum valve?

I have a 2002 sport. PO had the trans rebuilt about 12kish miles ago. I don't know much about a drum, so if someone can school on me on failure symptoms, that'd be nice. But from the research I have done, it's basically hard shifts.

Sometimes my car will engage into D kinda hard on cold starts only. Yes I let the idle come down before putting it into gear. I have read of people having to rev it to get it into first gear, never with my car. The other thing, pretty much always at speeds above 50 mph, if I floor it, the kick down is harsh. Therefore I never do that unless I really have to. Other than that, there is nothing harsh in the trans.

So does it sound like I need to install that pressure valve or not? I know I can do everything except the trans oil fill. That seems really weird to get it to the proper level.

Last edited by Z07Brandon; 11-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2018 | 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Old 11-20-2018 | 12:43 AM

Lots posted here. In my case: Car won't engage barely at all in first gear. Had the metallic sound. First drum is a common issue to fail in cars over 100k. That is because it is designed to increase pressure to clutch pack to adjust for wear. Thing is, the drum ring will brake due to metal fatigue and increased pressure. I fixed it myself. Lots of work but not rocket science IF you are inclined to do that kind of work.
1. Remove trans
2. Open up trans on input shaft side. Many youtube videos out there on that issue
3. If it is the 1st drum you are in luck. You will see it right away. Again check on all the youtube videos
4. Order new drum and clutchpack. I paid about $ 215.00 online
5. Put it all back together
6. Install trans

I got my cat purring again after that. BUT its a lot of work though. But the only way to do either privately or with mechanic friend help. A shop will often cost more then the car is worth.
Here is my experience:
Removing trans took me about 6 hours. But...it was my first. Most time I spent trying to separate exhaust components. That alone cost me at least 2 hrs as I didn't want to cut those out so I can re assemble as factory original
Open trans, inspect, remove valve block to inspect and clean, install new drum. 2 hrs.
Reinstall trans took me another 6 hours. Again, at least 2 hours was to get the exhaust system back in properly. Be prepared when you drop cat converters you may need replacement studs and gaskets.
High highly recommend to get alldatadiy or even better guide for trans install.

On my car it was well worth it. Its a 2000 XJ8 with 140k miles in good shape. I have a loft in my garage and a complete toolset. Many bolts are crazy hard to access. Need trans lift as well. Without the right tools, don't even try. Good luck.