XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?

It seems like when I driving in my car, it is extremely rare for anyone to try to run. Those who do are usually driving something horribly slow. The following cars have attempted to race me recently: a Hummer H2, a Ford F-150, and an early 90s Honda Civic in horrible condition. I didn't even waste my gas on those people. A young dude in a CLS 55 once tried to race me, but I saved myself the embarrassment and cruised. I once raced an old guy in a red '99 VDP which was fun, but pointless since we were driving basically the same car and were neck and neck the whole time (that was more of a 'who's engine/trans is in better running shape' type of race :-) . Our mechanics should be proud)

Do people try to race you in your X308? People in 3 series coupes, S class Mercs, and Audis and etc. occasionally check out my car, but they never try anything. My car seems to be invisible to BMW M5 and M3 owners. It seems like as my car has gotten older, more people check it out, but fewer try to race.

I'm surprised that despite the asteroid rims, it seems like no one tries anything. Maybe people don't try to race you all in XJRs either?

Last edited by burmaz; 12-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

The only three challenges I've gotten in my XJR were a basically identical XJR (same colors, everything - mirror match was fun), a late-90's Integra, and an SL63 AMG. I won the mirror match by luck (better launch), I surprised the hell out of the kid in the Integra (although it was a pretty damn quick one) by beating him by 2 lengths to 70, and I won against the SL only because it was cold out and he blew off his tires badly. So so far, pretty good challengers and the plebian cars have left me alone. Living in the midwest, everybody thinks of Jags as slow old luxury cars (they can't get past the late 80's stigma), so they never try and race. It's actually very nice, because in the 300ZX Twin Turbo I used to own I was constantly being challenged by vehicles that had no bussiness challenging a 400 hp sports car. Mid-80's Chevy trucks were the worst. It's like all the hillbillys thought "I got a got-damn 350, I can beat any little ricer!". It's been so nice that those type don't know about the XJR and leave me alone.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Lately a BMW Z8 tried to get in front of me from the stoplight but he didn,t make it he couldn,t pas me ,and i heard the rev limiter of him a few times ..lol
And also a big Touareg ,Me in sport ,it must have been a W12 because we were even , he couldn,t pas me either..

Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I usually don't pay any attention if someone is trying to provoke me. VDP does not look like a "race car", and everyone leaves me alone. I did my share of racing many moons ago, but it was done on the track, professional, and on two wheels (I raced bikes for extra money in my younger age). I don't have anything to prove either to myself, or the kids out there on the road. I enjoy going quiet and fast, and I have MANY speeding tickets to prove it, but when I go fast, there is nobody else around (and hopefully no radar!). Took my VDP to 140mph recently, on the open desert road, and she was still pulling strong, that's good enough for me, no need to prove it to anyone else.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I think most people see my Zircon 2003 XJ8 and just think "Old man, slow car!" I like being left alone, but I have surprised the pants off some people!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

we used to live in Socal around Newport beach, there were always fast cars around and driven by everyone from rich kids to old guys and their wives. lots of people were out on weekends cruising around the beach areas. Our car had the plate FST PAWS on it and my wife would have guys in corvettes, mercs bmws, comment on the plate and want to race,
mostly she would smile and do nothing, except when out with girlfriend one day she blew the doors off an SL merc. He was shocked when they stopped at the next light. I heard this story from my wife's friend, my wive smiled and said "you should have never told me about the S button"

Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

All the time,

But my XJR says XJ8 on the back, so they often get more than they bargained for

I'm sneaky....

Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
All the time,

But my XJR says XJ8 on the back, so they often get more than they bargained for

I'm sneaky....
Ahh 'Q-car' trick...

there's similar thread on the UK Jaguar forum, specifically the XJR one, it makes me laugh at some of the comments/cars those guys have out dragged, one being a Porsche Boxster S ending up on a flat bed with a blown engine, there's a lot to be recommended of a 4.0 supercharged Jag engine, even in a 2 ton car

Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by sandy85
i think because Jag is more about style,
oh yes...I leave them all to it, although I know my car will see off almost anything bar supercars...

"Grace, Pace and Space"

Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

One of the great 'sleepers', the XJR-not many realise that the 'old man's' car can charge to 100mph from a standing start in around 13 seconds.

Discreet, and all the better for it

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

i think because Jag is more about style, performance is just added bonus. Nobody will try to race you if you show up in Rolls either.
Younger people though do understand that our cars scream power and are not to be taken lightly. I did had few lights races and highway tests, but most funny it is always on tank station. Our one tends to attract young tuner boys more then any other (probably thanks to large parking place behind it) and i had to already pop the hood few times (some guy wouldnt believe it is V8 what i said - but i tried to comfort him with my "but your V6 is not thaaaa baad either"). They are very out of their comfort zone when they find out that i know about the car more then where to unlock it.
My favorites are people on lights who just check the driver - lighthaired girlie - then push their Opel or VW to limits just to show that "her boy bought her powerful car, but it is how you drive it what matters", yet i cruise around them effortlessly overtaking :-).
It is fast car, but does it with style, not this shaking, screaming, vibrating "i got turbo instead 4 cylinders" types.

Don't like 4-cylinder engines, too many secondary out-of-balance forces & no overlapping power strokes. Functional but joyless devices-no style, unlike a V8 though

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I never observed yet that anybody tried to race my car. Rather than that I noticed some other things:

• Respect and politeness increased significantly. Especially when trying to find a gap on the rightmost lane some hundred meters before "my" motorway exit during rush hour traffic. People are more willing to let me change lanes before them than in my BMW days. But it's also noticable when I overtake cars thet are stuck behind a truck. In the past they more often carelessly hopped in front of my car, sometimes seriously endangering me and others. These days they don't. In return my consideration and comprehension for other drivers increased since driving the Daimler.
  • I notice sometimes that drivers of nearly all marques are driving side by side with me for seemingly no reason, for the lane ahaead them is free. I guess they take a deep breath of the Daimler's sheer beauty

I usually let less considerate drivers pass me by because I don't want to have them in my back too close to my trunk. But sometime my right foot feels itchy and I talk some V8 to set things straight

The following users liked this post:
Distraxi (12-20-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Only once, and it wasn't really a "race".

Some impatient "vip" type in an Audi behind me decided that when waiting at a crosswalk in front of a hospital one should ignore pedestrians. You could hear him screaming through the tilted sunroof.

Once we started into the left turn, he cut into the right lane to pull a pass. Completely illegal at that intersection.

Just as he got his drivers window next to my tailpipes I instinctivley dabbed the pedal lightly. As soon as he heard the exhaust he backed off ... for the next 5 miles at the legal limit ... even given a chance to pull even .. he stayed behind.

BTW, it wasn't much of a dab ... maybe 3000 rpm ... just enough for the pipes to start rumbling and grumbling.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had some surprised looks away from the lights....mainly from teenagers...

Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts
Talking Growl

I have surprised a few folks with the growl. Even the VDP will put out some beautiful music when opened up and cranking over 6K RPM !

Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 PM

The big cat speaks softly & carries an even bigger stick

Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The only person ever tried with me was an AMG G55, and I wanted to stay behind to hear the V8 rumble. Tasty.
Also I like that Sandy refers to it as a Daimler S500 (say Dime-ler).
I've been trying to convince people that cars with stars on the front are properly referred to as Daimlers for years.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

they are just daimlers. Taxi cars.
LOL. Chap round my way has a C63, I'd even take that as a taxi. Nowhere near the presence of a big cat, but it makes a nice noise.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I did notice it quite a bit, but it was backwards... It was usually ME that was prodding...

I recently sold my beauty, and miss it very much, but it was a dream to drive, and a heart pounder when you pushed it hard.

I raced a 2010 Mustang GT and SLOWLY pulled away, but I continued pulling away till we ran out of road.

I also raced my Brother's Mercedes 500SL because he could not believe his car could not take mine. I walked away pretty easily.

One other time, a very nice 70's Chevelle hotrod that was built up. It was pretty even, but he insisted I stopped afterwards so he could find out what mods I had done to my car. It's always fun showing them it's stock.

Other than those times, I drove very comfortably, and normally around 65 MPH.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

seen it on one wedding, noise is really nice, but what it is for when it still looks like daimler. especially here, they are just as everywhere as VWs. Every cop car, taxi, half of the companies fleets are all daimlers. They even have all same boring design which does not add to the fact that they are so painfully boring already as they are.

Though i have to admit that i dont like new jaguars either. They look too normal. Not like XJs. They are not cats anymore. So Our cat is really one of the latest nice jags or i am getting old and talking like granma that everything was better before.

Yeah,.....you are sooooo old! Very, very old lady.

As a guy who lived on the both sides of the pond for MANY years, I can tell you.......don't EVER do it! Never live for a long time where you don't belong by birth. When I am in Europe, I miss the US, when I'm here, I miss Europe,....as one can not sit in both chairs at the same time (I tried!), you are never completely content. And what does this have to do with Daimlers, you ask?

Look at my signature, there are three European cars, the Cat, the X5 and the Daimler, and there are two American (Sierra and the H1). Daimlers are NICE cars, they don't have much of a "soul" (unlike the cats!), but they last a LONG time, and have plethora of creature comforts (e.g. ...their sound sytem blows socks off of Cat's system!) . Yes, in BRD they are "dime a dozen", but over here we have Fords and Chevys for the cabs. The only thing I can not stomach, are Japanese cars (no matter what brand), although I lived in Japan for just over two years. Their cars are totally "sterile", and without ANY feeling whatsoever (no ofense to anyone, just IMO).

So I understand where you come from "old woman". As a young German, you dislike Daimlers, and probably their drivers even more (there is a saying about Daimler drivers in Bavaria, and how rude they are).

My S430 with AMG package IS faster and stronger than my VDP, it just lacks in the "feel" department (has more displacement, and more HP).

Long story short,......in BRD you can sell ANY crap as long as it's labeled "MADE IN THE USA" (or Britain),.....over here,....just mention Germany, and people melt!

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". (NOT!)

And I agree with you on the "new ForJag"......they ARE not Cats anymore. X308 is the last of the Cats, (although some would argue that XJ6 was the last one). New Jags are too much Ford for my taste.

Quick Reply: Do random people attempt to race you in your X308 at stop lights or the highway?